Toast Ben Reid

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was replying to your comment about thinking we’d have won by more if Cox had played.

We may need a second key forward but Cox isn’t the answer —-it’s painfully obvious by now.

Reid whilst not as good as Mihocek does still have that level of hunger and competitiveness that you just can’t instill in someone.

They either have it or they don’t and unfortunately for Cox he doesn’t have it hence why he’s happy to just “get a game” as opposed to being a main man.

I also think we would have won by more if DeGoey hadn’t broken down.
Its pointless arguing about last week or about Cox. He’s out and he’ll be back next year.

My point is that in the absence of DeGoey we should revert to our successful key forward/ruck structure.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
That’s not the same player.
We need to accept the fact that the Richmond game and the second half of that GF were anomalies.

He’s not as impactful on games as he’s made out to be.

And he’s nowhere near the competitiveness level of a Mihocek.
Not even close

I could argue that Mioceck, has many deficiencies compared to Cox - Apples and Oranges.
You cant dismiss Cox so easily - it is a matter of record that he is outstanding and a clear weapon when playing well.

Opposition Coaches don't take him lightly - he is s defensive nightmare IMO.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I could argue that Mioceck, has many deficiencies compared to Cox - Apples and Oranges.
You cant dismiss Cox so easily - it is a matter of record that he is outstanding and a clear weapon when playing well.

Opposition Coaches don't take him lightly - he is s defensive nightmare IMO.
The one elite asset Cox has, is his height.

He can never be left alone.

Besides also offering a second ruck during a game, he brings that height which stretches any opposition.

That’s his asset, that’s what makes him of value.

If he could do what Mihocek does he’d be the most unique player the game’s seen.

He’s no star, but he’s a mega nuisance to any opposition- especially as all the players tire.

The one elite asset Cox has, is his height.

He can never be left alone.

Besides also offering a second ruck during a game, he brings that height which stretches any opposition.

That’s his asset, that’s what makes him of value.

If he could do what Mihocek does he’d be the most unique player the game’s seen.

He’s no star, but he’s a mega nuisance to any opposition- especially as all the players tire.

Cox is good don't get me wrong. Mihocek is a far better footballer.
Mihocek is a far more consistent goalscorer.
Mihocek can bring the ball to ground as often if not more often than Cox.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mihocek has been a found diamond.
A real blessing.

Amazing he plays as if he’s been around for 7 years.

Everything good about the game.

Last edited:

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox is nearly 7 foot - just by being on the field he disrupts every back line.

Has nothing to do with who is the better forward / more natural. Cox causes more headaches/dislocation and that is the end game.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was replying to your comment about thinking we’d have won by more if Cox had played.

We may need a second key forward but Cox isn’t the answer —-it’s painfully obvious by now.

Reid whilst not as good as Mihocek does still have that level of hunger and competitiveness that you just can’t instill in someone.

They either have it or they don’t and unfortunately for Cox he doesn’t have it hence why he’s happy to just “get a game” as opposed to being a main man.

To you perhaps, but Bucks and the coaches seem to think different. I'll back their opinions.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
To you perhaps, but Bucks and the coaches seem to think different. I'll back their opinions.

Just like you backed their opinions that turned quite quickly on an AA Premiership CHF like Travis Cloke?

Cox’s days are numbered.

We savages Cloke when he was giving us more than Cox...

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just like you backed their opinions that turned quite quickly on an AA Premiership CHF like Travis Cloke?

Cox’s days are numbered.

We savages Cloke when he was giving us more than Cox...

Point me to my posts where I savaged Cloke.

Explain to me how what posters were saying about Cloke in any way influenced coaches/selectors.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Point me to my posts where I savaged Cloke.

Explain to me how what posters were saying about Cloke in any way influenced coaches/selectors.

I was referring to the coaching staff you back in, not you savaging Cloke.

Cloke copped plenty in his last 2 seasons on this board with output far greater than Cox

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Just ask the Richmond defenders if they'd prefer Cox to be in or out of our side and you will appreciate his value.

i agree that Cox is a huge loss, mainly from a structural point of view. But I think if we can get Reid right, it somewhat negates the loss of Mason.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was referring to the coaching staff you back in, not you savaging Cloke.

Cloke copped plenty in his last 2 seasons on this board with output far greater than Cox

Sorry, I didn't appreciate you were using the royal "we" for the coaching staff or that you were a member of that fraternity.

Cloke copped plenty throughout his entire career, much of it over the top. None of that is relevant to how the coaches view Cox. Buck's own words, if he was available, he'd be in.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I reckon Reid plays when we consider:
1. He's looked ready for 3 weeks now. As good as he's looked all year
2. GWS defence
If they play Himmelberg, Cameron & Finlayson then we either put Roughead forward or play Reid. I think moving Roughie would be fatal, so he stays back. That said, we don't have anybody else other than Reid to play as a marking forward.

I reckon Reid plays when we consider:
1. He's looked ready for 3 weeks now. As good as he's looked all year
2. GWS defence
If they play Himmelberg, Cameron & Finlayson then we either put Roughead forward or play Reid. I think moving Roughie would be fatal, so he stays back. That said, we don't have anybody else other than Reid to play as a marking forward.

#bringbackblair

Sorry but I reserve the right to make a very bad joke on occasion.

On a serious note I'd be surprised if we went with any other option. Roughy is too important in defense next week and Ben is the logical in to cover for Jordy's absence. The other option is to ply Shaz as tall and move Roughy which makes me nervous.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
#bringbackblair

Sorry but I reserve the right to make a very bad joke on occasion.

On a serious note I'd be surprised if we went with any other option. Roughy is too important in defense next week and Ben is the logical in to cover for Jordy's absence. The other option is to ply Shaz as tall and move Roughy which makes me nervous.
Agree. And if we need him this week, even IF we win and he gets dropped for JDG, the fact that we need him now probably earns him a contract for 2020?

Agree. And if we need him this week, even IF we win and he gets dropped for JDG, the fact that we need him now probably earns him a contract for 2020?

If Reid is played in the prelim and he delivers, he has earnt another year, period. Having such a skilled player as depth on our list is a luxury, as long as he stays healthy.

Back