Berserk

So I started reading Berserk again and I cannot believe how good it is after all these years.

It has everything that a young male would be interested in: blood, gore, sex, weapons and a gritty protagonist.

It started in 1989 and you can just tell that the quality of the manga has improved as time goes by. Shame that the mangaka takes such a long time, but then again quality over quantity and its sure as heck has good re-read value.

Anybody else read it or watched it? I think they're making a series of movies, produced by WB Pics, to cover the different arcs to be released in Sept 2012.

cynical

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Peaked at the end of the anime, which I probably watch every 6 months cos it's so good.

Haven't read the manga in a year and a half, just too much filler, too much magic. It's still the best thing ever but I wish the guy would produce more than 2 a year.

Peaked at the end of the anime, which I probably watch every 6 months cos it's so good.

Haven't read the manga in a year and a half, just too much filler, too much magic. It's still the best thing ever but I wish the guy would produce more than 2 a year.

After a while you lose interest. I revisited the manga 4 times in the course of 8 years.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I've watched the anime only the once, and I will not touch the manga until he finishes it.

My problem is that while an awful lot of the fiction I enjoy - Dark Souls, for example, among any number of different Japanese fiction that Berserk inspired - is inspired by Berserk, I cannot even do so much as think of Griffith without getting angry and wanting to break him as brutally as possible. In a way, the anime - the 1997-98 version - was nigh perfect; it ended in such a spot and a way as to ensure the most unforgettable fictional experience of my entire life. I am simultaneously fascinated and repelled by the idea of reading it or rewatching it. I acknowledge its unbelievable quality even as I despise the characters, the world and the artist to a certain extent.

Mixed feelings is an understatement to how I feel about this work of fiction, which to a certain extent denotes its quality.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s awesome and underrated. Atleast the first tv series. As good as anime gets. The conversations between the main characters are just epic. griffth and guts are two of anime’s greatest characters. Pity about the special effects. But even despite that the battle scenes are well done.

the second series however wasn’t great. Much like the Watcher.

As a Berserk megafan, this is ******* huge.

I'm both excited and terrified.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

As a Berserk megafan, this is ******* huge.

I'm both excited and terrified.

Honestly the art-style of the series has already shifted significantly ever since it went digital. So from an aesthetics point of view, we're not missing out on anything. Also the guy overseeing it now was an original assistant of the series (along with the Vinland Saga guy who I think they should also try and get to help out) so I think this will be as good and honest as a continuation as you can get. I'm not too worried.

thefendoff

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
your chest
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Binged the memorial edition on Crunchyroll last week. Gonna read it from the start now, just figuring best / cheapest way to read it all

Back