Best Chinese Food

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on price - in descending price

Grand Palace
Joy Kitchen
and my current local - Emperor's Kitchen in Leeming - awesome dim sum, and always packed full of chinese
I thought you meant the dim sum was always packed full of chinese at first... I was thoroughly confused/worried!

Lotus Court in Connolly. Been going there since early 90's. Probably the dearest up that way now but still the best. Amazing satay beef comes out sizzling on a hot plate. There is a Lotus Court in Woodvale as well but Connolly is better.

If anyone's into Thai food who lives north of the river i highly recommend Lotus Thai in Wanneroo. Amazing food there, especially the Massaman curry.

Dragon Restaurant on James St Northbridge for sunday morning Dim Sum. Thebest.

Well, each to their own, but I found Dragon Palace is overrated. It's not bad, but it's not quite as good as everyone seems to think it is. Northbridge Seafood Chinese Restaurant or Joy Garden still does the best Dim Sum for my money. With the former, go for the soft-shelled crab. The latter probably isn't that much better than Dragon Palace to be honest, but they're generally not as busy - their fishballs are the best I've had in Perth.

Lach's spot on with Han Palace, that's a great place to eat, and a very nice restaurant moreover.

For good Malaysian Chinese style food Wong's on Wellington St isn't bad at all, but you really can't go past Hawker's Cuisine in Northbridge.

It's a casual style restaurant, walk-up style.... accessible through the Old Shanghai food court if the court's back door is open on an evening, otherwise you need to go through Chinatown past Uncle Billy's etc. It's Malaysian Chinese food which is a bit different, just bear that in mind if you like the usual Cantonese stuff.

Your best Hawker-quality (ie neighbourhood) Malaysian/Singaporean Chinese food SoR go to Taurus Hawker's off the Willeri Dve exit to Roe Highway. There's also a place in Bateman called Bateman Chinese Malaysian Cuisine. It's a very casual (at first glance tired) neighbourhood restaurant. Only been there once, but other than ordering too much food, the wife was was pretty impressed.... and for a foodie from the Klang Valley to give higher praise than "Hmmmm Not Bad" takes some doing. ;)

Yet to find a place in Perth that does Claypot Chicken Rice anywhere. :(

EDIT: Other off-topic places.... If you're up that way, 'Thai on the Hill' in Kalamunda goes down very nicely indeed, and Agni in Innaloo does an awesome Indian Buffet. Also, Eat Greek up the road from Leeuwin Barracks is a pretty good spot.

Just had Grand Palace again in the City..this place is the shiz...or as Bruce Mac puts it Delicious! Bit pricey yup, but was worth it. Has any one been to Billy Lees in Northbridge? Everyone raves about it as a late night chow down place.

Well, each to their own, but I found Dragon Palace is overrated. It's not bad, but it's not quite as good as everyone seems to think it is. Northbridge Seafood Chinese Restaurant or Joy Garden still does the best Dim Sum for my money. With the former, go for the soft-shelled crab. The latter probably isn't that much better than Dragon Palace to be honest, but they're generally not as busy - their fishballs are the best I've had in Perth.

Lach's spot on with Han Palace, that's a great place to eat, and a very nice restaurant moreover.

For good Malaysian Chinese style food Wong's on Wellington St isn't bad at all, but you really can't go past Hawker's Cuisine in Northbridge.

It's a casual style restaurant, walk-up style.... accessible through the Old Shanghai food court if the court's back door is open on an evening, otherwise you need to go through Chinatown past Uncle Billy's etc. It's Malaysian Chinese food which is a bit different, just bear that in mind if you like the usual Cantonese stuff.

Your best Hawker-quality (ie neighbourhood) Malaysian/Singaporean Chinese food SoR go to Taurus Hawker's off the Willeri Dve exit to Roe Highway. There's also a place in Bateman called Bateman Chinese Malaysian Cuisine. It's a very casual (at first glance tired) neighbourhood restaurant. Only been there once, but other than ordering too much food, the wife was was pretty impressed.... and for a foodie from the Klang Valley to give higher praise than "Hmmmm Not Bad" takes some doing. ;)

Yet to find a place in Perth that does Claypot Chicken Rice anywhere. :(

EDIT: Other off-topic places.... If you're up that way, 'Thai on the Hill' in Kalamunda goes down very nicely indeed, and Agni in Innaloo does an awesome Indian Buffet. Also, Eat Greek up the road from Leeuwin Barracks is a pretty good spot.

I had one of the worst meals ever at this place...awful, awful stuff

I had one of the worst meals ever at this place...awful, awful stuff

Really? What'd you get? Was it the food or general experience that put you off? I should probably qualify my remarks and point out that I live local, so I take away.... I've heard their service can be pretty average but I've never had a problem with the food.

Their curries are pretty good (Prefer the Green or the Jungle), their entrees certainly aren't too bad either (Chicken Parcels :thumbsu:). Never had their rice as we always make our own, but surely rice can't be that hard to get right? The Tom Yum's not too shabby either. Their Tom Kha I wasn't a fan of but one dish doesn't make or break a place's grub....

Oh, and Penang Food on William Street. Good chow across the board, but their Hainanese Chicken Rice is VERY tasty... I'd go far enough to say probably the best in Perth and will happily take up the challenge from anyone who can find a place that does better.

Does anyone know of a place that does Claypot Chicken Rice? Please?

I was reading in Urban Spoon that Old Cathay does Clay Pot Chicken. Cant confirm this in person tho. Old Cathay is in Vic Park.

Lach, sounds very similar to an experience i had with an indian place in vic park , cinamon on the park. No spice at all, terrible!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best Chinese food I have had was in China. The worst Chinese food Ive had was also in China though just for a bit of perspective.

It´s really quite amazing what people consider Chinese food these days. When in reality it is nothing more than a sticky sweet amalgamation of westernized concepts of Chinese cuisine.

When people on here think that "curry" is Chinese, I think your point is proven.

Re: Chinese food in China

I concur. China has some terrible Chinese food. I had one plate last year that turned out to be a whole plate of sloppy pork fat. Horrid. Peking Duck in Beijing has no peer. Some of the best restaurants there tread a fine line between great food and "I am not eating that" food.

Chinese food can be horribly fatty too. Lots of deep fried stuff, very heavy sauces etc.

Out of the Asian Cuisines I would go with Thai, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Malaysian before Chinese. Japanese food in Japan is on another world. Incomparable to what you find in Australia and in fact the difference between what you get in Japan to what you get in Australia is probably the biggest of any cuisine. So much more to Japanese food than sushi and california rolls. Take a trip there and stay in some Ryokans.

I did a Thai cooking course in Melbs a few years ago to expand my thai food knowledge. So many amazingly fresh dishes packed with bags of flavour. My fave. If in Melbourne check out Paladar Thai Issan - best traditional thai restaurant in Melbs complete with sticky rice. Longrain in Melb/Sydney is Thai taken to the next level albeit a bit dumbed down on the chilli.

When people on here think that "curry" is Chinese, I think your point is proven.

Re: Chinese food in China

I concur. China has some terrible Chinese food. I had one plate last year that turned out to be a whole plate of sloppy pork fat. Horrid. Peking Duck in Beijing has no peer. Some of the best restaurants there tread a fine line between great food and "I am not eating that" food.

Chinese food can be horribly fatty too. Lots of deep fried stuff, very heavy sauces etc.

Out of the Asian Cuisines I would go with Thai, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Malaysian before Chinese. Japanese food in Japan is on another world. Incomparable to what you find in Australia and in fact the difference between what you get in Japan to what you get in Australia is probably the biggest of any cuisine. So much more to Japanese food than sushi and california rolls. Take a trip there and stay in some Ryokans.

I did a Thai cooking course in Melbs a few years ago to expand my thai food knowledge. So many amazingly fresh dishes packed with bags of flavour. My fave. If in Melbourne check out Paladar Thai Issan - best traditional thai restaurant in Melbs complete with sticky rice. Longrain in Melb/Sydney is Thai taken to the next level albeit a bit dumbed down on the chilli.

I take it you mean Malaysian Chinese (or Malay/Hindi/Mamuk/Nyonya cuisine.... seeing as how they all very much make up the collective "Malaysian" food culture) before "mainland" Chinese right? Never been to PRC so I can't really compare, although I'm a big fan of Malaysian food myself.

Without getting too nitpicky here about what is and isn't in a particular food culture, Chinese people are so widely spread that it's getting kind of tough to just throw everything in as one type of food.... sure there are certain dishes which are pretty universal, but even some of those universal dishes will still have a "localised" slant depending on where in the Sinosphere you are.

If that doesn't make the point, then I'd ask who here has actually managed to get Bah Kuh Teh or even a decent Hokkien Mee for brekkie in Hong Kong... Conversely my constant pleading and bleating for Claypot Chicken Rice is another good example of Malaysian Chinese food you can't get here ( :D ), and there's some pretty unique Cantonese stuff that you can't really get here (or in Malaysia or Singapore) either.

By the same token those examples also kinda prove your point about what's available here being very different to what's available over there....

Angelus I'm not sure I agree with... some Australians are pretty well travelled and know where to go to find food that's a bit more authentic, and there is plenty of Chinese food out there that's not "Angmoh Chinese"; you just need to look for it.

Oh and Happy New Year to everyone by the way. ;)

EDIT: Yep, it can be fatty and oily... the fat's where the flavour is. That Hokkien Mee I was talking to you about? Best served so heavy with light+heavy soy, mushroom and oyster sauces that it's black and so saturated with pig fat that you can practically inhale it. Then smother it with sambal. :p :)

Sorry to Bump, but quick plug...

Canton Bay restaurant on Mounts Bay Rd. A bit of a step up pricewise, but the produce was fresh, the dishes were superbly cooked and presented, great ambience and decor and the service was excellent.

I'm usually a Steamed Rice man unless it's a claypot or sticky rice dish, but go for the Avocado Fried Rice at Canton Bay you won't regret it.

My boss went to Golden King on William street and reckoned it was awesome. Great duck and about $70 for 4 people.
Have it on my list now

Awesome! Thanks Lach... :thumbsu:

I was actually looking for a place in town for dinner on Friday night... I'll give it a go.

Awesome! Thanks Lach... :thumbsu:

I was actually looking for a place in town for dinner on Friday night... I'll give it a go.

How was it?

Emmas in Vic Park does a pretty good Yum Cha

Not bad but the place is so small if you don't get there 20 minutes before opening you've gotta line up...that gives me the shits

I really enjoyed The Grand Palace, but as my boss was paying I did not worry too much about the ridiculous prices. Not sure that I would pay that much for Chinese myself.

Chins Noodle House in Leeming does duck in chilli and vinegar that is fantastic. Often buy the duck, a noodle dish and vegetables and never been disappointed. We have only had take away from there but is often packed. Lots of Freo fans seem to go there after games.

Believe it or not, never had a yum cha. It seems like every year, we say we will go for one. Maybe this year !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back