Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there is any one school that could be named the best football school in Australia.

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that every school that currently competes in the APS has produced an elite well-known AFL footballer

ACC schools do okay I guess. Nothing like APS schools though hey. Been a while since my time at SPC but they don't even play division 1 ACC. That's sad!

Players that played or still play in the AFL that went to St. Paul's are:

Daniel Giansiracusa
Rohan Smith
Micky Martyn
James Podsiadly
Trent McKenzie

The recent success of St Pat's College (havent been beaten in over 2 years at Herald Sun Shield or BAS levels or annual practice games against St Kevin's College, Assumption College and Xavier) suggests that their performances are equal to any school in Australia. In addition to this, there are 17 SPC players on a primary AFL List next year with 4 being drafted this year (Brad Crouch, Nick O'Brien, Rory Taggert and Tom Downie) with an additional 3 SPC Year 11 & 12 students on an AIS scholarship in 2012. These numbers are very hard to argue against.

I think Caulfield Grammar would defiantly have to be up there. They've finished top 2 in the APS for the last few years, whilst producing some qualities players over the past decade or so.

Chris Judd (1996-2001)
Brendan Goddard (2001-03)
Andrew McQaulter (2002-04)
Andrew Walker (2004)
Robert Eddy (2004-05)
Brett Deledio (2005)
Jack Ziebell (2007-08)

Two young guns to look out for are Thomas Bugg and Dylan Shiel up at GWS. Both dominated school footy for Caulfield and are poised to make a huge impact on the big stage.

Another superstar already attending Caulfield is Blake Pearson (Year 11). Natural athlete playing cricket for Australia youth squads and running at Youth Pacific games in the 100m & 200m. All round freak, made the All Australian squad at nationals carnival. Some may say he is too short to make it, standing only at about 175cm but the kid has excellent skills.

I reckon get around Geelong Grammar footy this year. Massive recruits in the Hussen brothers, Alex and Johnathan, looking to tear it up this year. Big man in the gun that is George MacFarlane as well, can see him sneaking his way into the top 20 at the draft this year. Very underrated team, but look to the Grammar to get up this year, heard it here first.

I reckon get around Geelong Grammar footy this year. Massive recruits in the Hussen brothers, Alex and Johnathan, looking to tear it up this year. Big man in the gun that is George MacFarlane as well, can see him sneaking his way into the top 20 at the draft this year. Very underrated team, but look to the Grammar to get up this year, heard it here first.

Thanks John

Wow, this conversation is still going?

Although this is not about school football per se, but on the weekend we played against Sacred Heart Old Collegians. They must just love playing football at that school, because after talking to some of the players after the game, I found out that last season they had 5 teams, including their A's and B's playing in SA's top amateur leagues grand finals, there C's and D's also won their grand finals playing against other clubs A's and B's and they even had an E grade who played in a grand final. That's 5 teams playing in grand finals which is incredible for an old scholars club, but what makes it even more incredible, no body is paid at their club. I guess this just shows the culture that they breed down at Sacred Heart College, and as an outsider looking in, it is exactly the culture you want in a club/team.

the st pats side this year has reportedly been described as one of the best school footy sides seen in victoria. the team is likely to have a handful of players drafted in the next 3 years with tom mcdonald, jake ward, jake neade, nick o'brien and brad crouch likely to get looked at over that period. but it's not the individual talent that's impressed most people it's their ability to gel as a team. the way they play is geelong like.

O'Brien will get drafted. Don't rate others as much.
Digging this one up from the grave, for the sake of a few bragging rights.. Ward never made it. McDonald recieved a Rising Star nod this season, Crouch went in the Mini-draft to Adelaide and Neade just won the B&F for Div 2 at the Championships. As well as O'Brien being at Essendon.
I think I was on the money here...
Also, despite having left school, I realise that St. Pat's hasn't lost a game for 3 years now.
It's a shame they don't play APS, you city boys might get taught a lesson or two.

Trinity College in Perth currently has 14 players ON AFL lists, Embley, Fasolo, Wellingham, Stevenson,
McGinnity, Garlett, Brennan, Conca, McInnes, Josh Hill, Newman, Duncan, Lucas, Colyer.

Who knows how many in the WAFL ?. :D

Can any school currently beat that ?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trinity College in Perth currently has 14 players ON AFL lists, Embley, Fasolo, Wellingham, Stevenson,
McGinnity, Garlett, Brennan, Conca, McInnes, Josh Hill, Newman, Duncan, Lucas, Colyer.

Melbourne Grammar are looking to have 5 debutants this year. Already Paine, Edwards and Dunnell. Mitchell at Carlton and Roberts at Bulldogs must be strong chances in last few games. Has any school had 5 in 1 year before ?

Those indigenous boys would be full fee paying scholars I presume?

Digging this one up from the grave, for the sake of a few bragging rights.. Ward never made it. McDonald recieved a Rising Star nod this season, Crouch went in the Mini-draft to Adelaide and Neade just won the B&F for Div 2 at the Championships. As well as O'Brien being at Essendon.
I think I was on the money here...
Also, despite having left school, I realise that St. Pat's hasn't lost a game for 3 years now.
It's a shame they don't play APS, you city boys might get taught a lesson or two.
Pretty impressive but St Kevin's beat them this year, here is a small rundown on the game.

St.Kevin's played its annual fixture against St.Patrick's, Ballarat in fine conditions on the Heyington No 1 ground. With a five goal to nothing first quarter SKC set up a good lead that it retained for the rest of the match. Despite a strong fightback in the second half, SKC was able to reply to their attack with critical goals to retain a nice buffer. Lachlan Hunter with six goals was the best player in a great team effort.

St Pats Ballarat won there third herald sun shield in a row today, one of the best in aus.

Proves that Sholarships really work - how many kids missed out on a game in 1st because of the freeloaders ?

Shame St.Pats don't use scholarships.. People want to come here because they know it's the best for their footy. Another four will get drafted from patties this year, minimum.

There is obviously no single one "Best Football Football School". There are obviously schools that historically and consistently produce the best teams and the best talent.

In SA the 4 that probably stand out are:
Sacred Heart
PAC
Rostrevor
Henley High

There is obviously no single one "Best Football Football School". There are obviously schools that historically and consistently produce the best teams and the best talent.

In SA the 4 that probably stand out are:
Sacred Heart
PAC
Rostrevor
Henley High

Sacred Heart beat Assumption College (VIC) in its annual clash by 15 goals last week. Biggest winning margin for decades. The Hearts also won the Knock-Out Cup this year. They've got a young bloke still only in year 10 - Corey Gregson who won the medal in the final. Brilliant skills on both sides of his body - will go top 10 when he becomes eligible for the draft in 2 years.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Sacred Heart rises to top of tree
  • by: Duane Schultz
  • August 15, 20125:00PM

SACRED Heart has broken through for its first Knock Out Cup grand final win since 2007 by shaking off a dogged Prince Alfred College, 11.7 (73) to 7.5 (49), in the First XVIII decider at The Parade last Tuesday night.
Hearts kicked away in the last quarter after holding a 10-point lead at the last break, blowing the game open when PAC, who had played three games in the past seven days, started to slow down.

It was Hearts' ability to rebound the ball after Princes broke away from stoppages - PAC won the centre clearances 20 to 10 - that proved the difference.

Corey Gregson was the main beneficiary of the quick movement and kicked three goals from the wing to claim the Colin Steinert Medal for best on ground.

Best for PAC were Campbell Coombe, George Hannaford, Brock Castree and Tom Ashby, who booted three goals.

PAC coach Troy McKinnon said he was proud of his side after a tough campaign.
Before the final, Princes had played a Knock Out match last Wednesday (August 8) and a Messenger Shield match last Saturday against Immanuel.

``They were fresher than us and moved the ball quicker and cleaner,'' McKinnon said.

``It was tit for tat for much of the game, they (Sacred Heart) were up by 10 points at three-quarter-time.

``We just ran out of legs and struggled to get it inside our forward 50 and their spread from the contests was phenomenal.

``The game was great to watch and played in great spirit and it was a joy to be part of.''

Assumption college killmore history has alot to say for its self, but slowly going down over last few year maybe not keeping up with the scholarships like other school.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back