Opinion Best midfield in the game at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally forgot about Jimmy, but nah not the Bulldogs, Bont, Hunter and Macrae can be handy though, More like a very solid backline and a a dangerous forward line
Bont, Liberatore, Macrae, Picken, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Daniel, Stringer, Dunkley, Wallis.
Top 3 midfield for me. Behind GWS and Sydney.

West Coast has got to be up there with Mitchell there now.. Priddis, Gaff and Shuey.. all perenial Brownlow contenders.. if Jetta and Redden can get somewhere near their best, Sheed is on the way up... i think they are top 4 along with two Sydney teams and the Bullies..

West Coast has got to be up there with Mitchell there now.. Priddis, Gaff and Shuey.. all perenial Brownlow contenders.. if Jetta and Redden can get somewhere near their best, Sheed is on the way up... i think they are top 4 along with two Sydney teams and the Bullies..

I like Yeo, brilliant young utility who actually looks best as an outside midfielder.
He has a lot of Jimmy Bartel about his style of his game. Aerially better than most in his position and now kicks goals.
He's fully capable of turning into an elite footballer this year and if he does, it probably turns West Coast's midfield into one of the best as they would have the versatility coupled with line breaking abilities of Shuey and Yeo to unsettle most sides.

I like Yeo, brilliant young utility who actually looks best as an outside midfielder.
He has a lot of Jimmy Bartel about his style of his game. Aerially better than most in his position and now kicks goals.
He's fully capable of turning into an elite footballer this year and if he does, it probably turns West Coast's midfield into one of the best as they would have the versatility coupled with line breaking abilities of Shuey and Yeo to unsettle most sides.
Yeo at his best is scintillating but he is coming off an ordinary year and unlike Bartel has poor decision making skills and inconsistent skills.. If he can bounce back to his 2015 promise, it will go a long way to West Coast contending this year.

IMO Yeo is more (physically) dynamic than Bartel, but Bartel has elite level footy smarts which is something Yeo is sorely lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you go by midfield only ( Ruck, Ruck Rover, Rover and Centre being the old terms ) I thought it would have to go to a club with the best Ruck which would be a good start. To pick the best Ruck I have used Footywire as a way to quantify "Best" and its Max Gawn, but Melbourne's best midfielder is Nathan Jones who is #38. So the next best Ruck is Todd Goldstein, Daniel Wells is the best placed Mid they have at number 29 so back to the drawing board.

The 3rd Best Ruck is Nic Naitanui with Matthew Priddis at #12, 4th best Ruck is Mumford with Cognilio the 21st best scorer for GWS. Its very hard to quantify who has the best Midfield unless you take the Ruck out of the equation and then its easily Sydney with 3 in the top 10 for scoring last year.

Sydney is easily the Best with Collingwood and Geelong just behind them.

Forget about naming individuals, I'll take the midfield that recorded the 2nd biggest CP differential in a season ever.

The midfield that had on average +28 more contested possessions per game than their opponents in the finals.
+16.25 more inside 50s per finals game.
+9 more clearances per finals game.
A midfield in which its oldest player is 24.

I think we've got everyone covered for depth despite losing Hrovat and Stevens, who will both be best 22 at their new clubs. GWS are the only side you could argue is superior, but they got beat convincingly in the prelim by a younger and less experienced side.

Forget about naming individuals, I'll take the midfield that recorded the 2nd biggest CP differential in a season ever.

The midfield that had on average +28 more contested possessions per game than their opponents in the finals.
+16.25 more inside 50s per finals game.
+9 more clearances per finals game.
A midfield in which its oldest player is 24.

I think we've got everyone covered for depth despite losing Hrovat and Stevens, who will both be best 22 at their new clubs. GWS are the only side you could argue is superior, but they got beat convincingly in the prelim by a younger and less experienced side.

Who recorded the biggest?

Who recorded the biggest?

I believe it was the Eagles of 2006. We were comfortably 1st until injuries to Dahlhaus, Libba and Macrae saw them miss several games each.

In fact before those injuries our differential was more than double that of the next best team(swans).

I believe it was the Eagles of 2006. We were comfortably 1st until injuries to Dahlhaus, Libba and Macrae saw them miss several games each.

In fact before those injuries our differential was more than double that of the next best team(swans).

Shush.... I like our mids being underrated

Sydney have the best mids however the same suspects went missing in the last 2 GF they have played.

If it was not for J.Kennedy Jnr and Tom Mitchell last year in the GF the Dogs would have won by almost as much as the Hawks did in 2014.

So for home and away you want Sydneys midfield.

Sydney have the best mids however the same suspects went missing in the last 2 GF they have played.

If it was not for J.Kennedy Jnr and Tom Mitchell last year in the GF the Dogs would have won by almost as much as the Hawks did in 2014.

So for home and away you want Sydneys midfield.

Not using this as an excuse because in footy there are none .... BUT Parker played the GF on one leg.

I agree for H&A games the Swans looked to have the best mids .... it's all gotta come together in that last game however. For the Swans it wasn't to be, we got beaten by a better side on the day ... well done Doggies.

Not using this as an excuse because in footy there are none .... BUT Parker played the GF on one leg.

I agree for H&A games the Swans looked to have the best mids .... it's all gotta come together in that last game however. For the Swans it wasn't to be, we got beaten by a better side on the day ... well done Doggies.
Well the coach should get the arse for playing a guy in the GF who was not fit.

As I said previously if it was not for John Kennedy Jnr and Tom Mitchell in last years GF then it would have been a massacre just like 2014.

Well the coach should get the arse for playing a guy in the GF who was not fit.

As I said previously if it was not for John Kennedy Jnr and Tom Mitchell in last years GF then it would have been a massacre just like 2014.

I agree ! At that time of the year many or most players have niggles or injuries. Horse and staff thought Luke would get through the game okay .... he clearly didn't.

I agree ! At that time of the year many or most players have niggles or injuries. Horse and staff thought Luke would get through the game okay .... he clearly didn't.
It's funny watching the Swans because your best 2 players are X Hawks but when the heat comes on in the GF they don't get the support they need.

It's funny watching the Swans because your best 2 players are X Hawks but when the heat comes on in the GF they don't get the support they need.

Debatable but I'll go along with you for the sake of commonsense and fair play.

Joey is without doubt número uno ... are you adding Lance, I mean to say when he gets a run on the ball he looks pretty damned good. Me thinks Parker or Hanners gotta be in the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back