Best Olympic Event?

Remove this Banner Ad

Weightlifting! About the only thingi watch with any real interest. Outside he games I wouldn't give a toss, but to me this event above all encapsulates he Olympic spirit. Regardless of country or circumstance you want every competitor to be successful. You ride that lift with them all the way.

As for sports that clog up the schedule - all team sports, all ball sports. Swimming should be reduced to the simplicity of running - all events should be freestyle only - if some silly bastard wants to try butterfly, then by all means let him. But to give it its own event? Shooting should simply be two opponents, fifty meters apart, last man standing. Equestrian should simply be one event - a cross country race through the wilderness.
Fighting events should be multidiscipline and won only through ko or crying uncle or disqualification by moving outside your chosen style.
Basically they should simplify everything to its most basic form and remove the crud.

Well i guess someone has to buck the bigfooty trend and say that i really enjoy the swimming, especially the relays. The womens 4x100m freestyle relay is on in Perth at 3am but ill be watching it. The smash em like guitars mens race from Sydney 2000 stands out.

Other favs:
All the track and field
Cycling

Dont care much for the rest.

Anyone care to start a thread to discuss the more obscure sports? (ones that dont get much coverage) but other nations manage to get a medal from them

ie Shooting
Judo
Greco Roman Wrestling
Fencing

At a minimum I try and make sure I don't miss:

Cycling - pursuit, kerin, road race
Swimming - medley races
Track - hurdles, steeplechase
Sailing - 49ers, match racing

I will watch pretty much any sailing, rowing and cycling they care to show. Also quite enjoy the middle distance running.

Count me as another one who misses the madison. My favourite velodrome event, was shattered when they dropped it.

Must watch:
Cycling: road race and all track races.
Track: Everything up to 800m.
Swimming: Relays only.

More than happy to watch gymnastics, weightlifting, women's volleyball and handball but won't tape these. I will also watch the tennis, even though it has no place at the Olympics.

If I had to pick one event it has to be the men's 100m. Sport doesn't get better than the 10-15 minutes, including build-up and celebrations.

Definitely track and field led by 100m, long jump, triple jump and decathlon (as someone posted earlier, it's a shame they can't co-ordinate the telecasting of it better) in fact I love all events apart from race walking.

Others not far behind are track cycling, boxing, weightlifting, rowing and handball.

Get rid of beach volleyball, tennis and bmx.

The way the decathlon is broadcast makes it tough to follow. They seem to switch to it whenever there is nothing else going on. As a result, it is a bit all over the place. Great event though. Thompson's commentary will add to it this year.

Yeah it's a brilliant event. And the rankings change so much dependent upon who is strong at what discipline.

I'm old-fashioned about the Olympics. My favourite event and always has been (and it's sounds like I'm alone on this one) since I was a kid is the 100m men's freestyle. But then I love swimming and find the filming and technical aspects of it fascinating.

And I'm a sucker for the hockey no matter who is playing. Best team sport in the world and just about the fastest bar ice hockey.

In general the swimming is my favourite, always enjoy the first week of that more than the 2nd week of track and field. Don't really have a particular favourite swimming event though, probably enjoy the relays the most.

Love the weightlifting too, wish 9 would show more of it.

But if I had to pick one single event that stands out it would have to be the men's 100m sprint (running).

Bring back tug of war. :thumbsu:

sportspast.jpg

In general the swimming is my favourite, always enjoy the first week of that more than the 2nd week of track and field. Don't really have a particular favourite swimming event though, probably enjoy the relays the most.

Love the weightlifting too, wish 9 would show more of it.

But if I had to pick one single event that stands out it would have to be the men's 100m sprint (running).
Yeah I've been watching plenty of weightlifting on Fox, it's excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I've been watching plenty of weightlifting on Fox, it's excellent.

I haven't seen any men's weightlifting at all yet. The women's is still cool but I want to see the roided up monsters.

Well... the male roided up monsters I mean.

One of my prime reasons for tuning into the Olympics is to watch the obscure sports that I won't usually get to watch. Archery, shooting, table tennis, etc. Unfortunately these don't get much coverage on free to air, so I'm left with only a few small teases here and there.

This is also one of the reasons why I enjoy the Winter Olympics. Get to see professional athletes compete in sports that I don't get to watch that much.

Winter Olympics also have a lot less Australians to follow around, so they spend more time just showing the most exciting and competitive events regardless of who's competing.

Men's marathon
1500m freestyle
Handball
Basketball
10km ocean swim
4x100m relay - the heart-in-mouth stuff watching the baton changes is great

I'd prefer the soccer if it was strictly under 23s and none of this three overage players bullshit. Olympics without some form of the world's biggest and most global team sport would be silly. Judo is great just for all the bowing.

So far the Archery has been good gone down to the last aarow to see who wins.
The weightlifting has been great so far aswell.Cant wait for the big boys to start smashing out huge weights
Just flicking though watching things like kayak,rowing,diving,hockey and few other events has been great too.Next week will be good when the track events start.

Best Sports:
Fencing - has been amazing, seeing 2 duel it out. Always dramatic and should get more exposure.
Table Tennis - Wow, these players are seriously skillful and quick.
Track and Field - Enjoy all of it (bar the walking). These are the most basic and primitive events to test who is the 'fastest, strongest, and most agile'
Weightlifting - Really enjoy not only the lifting but the tactics involved with only 3 lifts allowed.

Archery, Volleyball, Handball, Badminton are others I like.

Worst Sports:
Beach Volleyball - Too gimmicky, the proper volleyball is much better.
Equestrian - Please, humans only, this isn't the horse Olympics.
BMX - I think mountain cycling is enough.
Tennis - If the Olympics is not the premier prize, don't bother.
Football - see above.
Rhythmic Gymnastics - The 'floor routine' in the artistic gymnastics and trampoline is where the line should be drawn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back