Best Pies 22 from 1970-2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Greig was soft "ish".....but Robbie Flower took everything he got and still got up. Flower was as tough as they come.
Never thought of K Grieg as soft and he copped a bucket full from Ron Barassi.
He basically had to also be mentally tough to essentially ignore Ron B.

Well I knew he hadn't been watching closely during Hudson's prime but moreso I was just doing it from memory so as I get older....well you know!
Yes, I do know! I don't tend to rely on memory too much these days, I play it safe and look things up!!

Never thought of K Grieg as soft and he copped a bucket full from Ron Barassi.
He basically had to also be mentally tough to essentially ignore Ron B.

I don't mean soft from Ron....Greig was very "outside" (the term they use today) and relied heavily on others to get him the ball. Then he looked pretty running and bouncing it.
Gerard Healy survived Ronald Dale....and he was nowhere near a toughnut!

Weren't there a lot of swift wingmen in the past who were also strong overhead though? What about Greig and Flower?

The Barham v Turner duels were always a viewing highlight for me. We've been blessed with some fantastic wingmen over the years.

I’m going to try a team of numbers in order 1 - 22 They should be feasible in those positions.

Black And White By Numbers

B. 1. L Davis ~ 2. C Tarrant ~ 3. M Gayfer
HB. 4. G Raines ~ 5. N Buckley (c) ~ 6. T Goldsack
C. 7. A Treloar ~ 8. J Clement ~ 9. P Carman
HF. 10. S Pendlebury ~ 11. D Beams ~ 12. D Banks
F. 13. T Adams ~ 14 G Jenkin ~ 15. L Brown
R. 16. M Richardson ~ 17. D Barwick ~ 18. W Richardson
I. 19. G Wright ~ 20. B Reid ~ 21. M Christian ~ 22. A Shaw

E. 23. R Shaw, 24. A Ireland, 25. J Crisp 26. G Brown
How did you come up with that. It must have taken ages. Brilliant I must say.

Wow

never seen it

i know the website but didn’t know the numbers tool
Just click up the top of the collumn with the numbers and it will sort ascending or descending as required. Same with all the collumns.

Greig was soft "ish".....but Robbie Flower took everything he got and still got up. Flower was as tough as they come.
Come on Robroy22, you are better than that. Greig was never soft. Just because he was a ball player doesn't mean he was soft. He was no softer than Gavin Brown. Put his head over the ball everytime. So much so that he was cleaned up many.many times. One was a sickening shirt front down at Geelong from Ray Card and then the 1976 GF when Mathews obviously was sent out with instructions to send Greig off on a stretcher.

Ricky Barham had the reputation of being soft. Caused an almighty argument in the 3/4 time huddle between Thorold Merrett and Barham dring the 1981 GF. Merrett accused Barham of twice avoiding contact with Bruce Doull during the 3rd quarter when contesting the same ball. Some blamed the subsequent in fighting for the insipid display in the final quarter of that game.

Last edited:
Come on Robroy22, you are better than that. Greig was never soft. Just because he was a ball player doesn't mean he was soft. He was no softer than Gavin Brown. Put his head over the ball everytime. So much so that he was cleaned up many.many times. One was a sickening shirt front down at Geelong from Ray Card and then the 1976 GF when Mathews obviously was sent out with instructions to send Greig off on a stretcher.

Ricky Barham had the reputation of being soft. Caused an almighty argument in the 3/4 time huddle between Thorold Merrett and Barham dring the 1981 GF. Merrett accused Barham of twice avoiding contact with Bruce Doull during the 3rd quarter when contesting the same ball. Some blamed the subsequent in fighting for the insipid display in the final quarter of that game.

Sorry Cliff, we'll have to agree to disagree on Greig. I had a bit to do with the club back in the 70's (via Ross Glendenning) and even at his own club he was regarded as soft. They didn't like having to go easy on him at training and they were apparently a bit perplexed with him winning all the awards when blokes like Cable, Blight, Glendenning, Crosswell et al were absolute guns. I'll leave it at that but I disagree...he was not in Robbie Flower's (nor Gavin Brown's) street when it came to "ticker".

Sorry Cliff, we'll have to agree to disagree on Greig. I had a bit to do with the club back in the 70's (via Ross Glendenning) and even at his own club he was regarded as soft. They didn't like having to go easy on him at training and they were apparently a bit perplexed with him winning all the awards when blokes like Cable, Blight, Glendenning, Crosswell et al were absolute guns. I'll leave it at that but I disagree...he was not in Robbie Flower's (nor Gavin Brown's) street when it came to "ticker".
Fair enough. I am always reluctant to label players soft as I couldn't say I would have been any better myself. I was at the 1981 GF and the 2 Barham incidents stood out to me, but I doubt I would have been any more courageous facing Bruce Doull.

Greig was a silky mover with excellent skills. Those types of players tend to stand out, hence win awards. Glendenning was a CHB. Not too many CHBs win awards. Possibly the easiest position to play as there have been very few good CHFs over the years. Cable was a brilliant player, but probably past his peak when at North. Crosswell and Blight never played in positions where they were going to win awards. Crosswell, despite his odd display of brilliance, was never consistent enough to win awards.

The best 2 wingers in my time watching footy were Flower and Matera from West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I am always reluctant to label players soft as I couldn't say I would have been any better myself. I was at the 1981 GF and the 2 Barham incidents stood out to me, but I doubt I would have been any more courageous facing Bruce Doull.

Greig was a silky mover with excellent skills. Those types of players tend to stand out, hence win awards. Glendenning was a CHB. Not too many CHBs win awards. Possibly the easiest position to play as there have been very few good CHFs over the years. Cable was a brilliant player, but probably past his peak when at North. Crosswell and Blight never played in positions where they were going to win awards. Crosswell, despite his odd display of brilliance, was never consistent enough to win awards.

The best 2 wingers in my time watching footy were Flower and Matera from West Coast
I'm just a bit puzzled with this, since both Blight and Glendinning won a Brownlow (playing for North Melbourne).

I'm just a bit puzzled with this, since both Blight and Glendinning won a Brownlow (playing for North Melbourne).
Blight also won the Coleman as it were.

He was a highly decorated footballer as you would know. Brownlow, Margery, Coleman, McHale, Premiership medals. What an absolute super star.

What I most liked (a bit tongue in cheek) about Glendinning was when he was presenting the medal named after him and he didn’t care for the “winner” he presented the medal to whom he deemed worthy of such a prestige award.

Then we have the polar opposite of ego demonstration by the one game short sleeve wearing Michael Tuck.
When presenting his named medal, The Michael Tuck Medal, he was so “modest” he called the medal the Norm Smith Medal.

whoops. Totally forgot about that. Perhaps they shouldn't have been perplexed with Greig also winning awards. Is he(Glendenning) the only CHB to win the Brownlow?

whoops. Totally forgot about that. Perhaps they shouldn't have been perplexed with Greig also winning awards. Is he(Glendenning) the only CHB to win the Brownlow?
Just going on the positions listed for the winners in the AFL Season Guide (CHB):
Albert Collier Collingwood 1929
Denis 'Dinny' Ryan Fitzroy 1936
Bert Deacon Carlton 1947
Ron Clegg South Melbourne 1949
Neil Roberts St Kilda 1958
Gordon Collis Carlton 1964
Ross Glendinning North Melbourne 1983

So Glendinning was the last of them, and he did kick 20 goals that year, so must have spent a fair bit of time up forward.

Just going on the positions listed for the winners in the AFL Season Guide (CHB):
Bert Deacon Carlton 1947

So Glendinning was the last of them, and he did kick 20 goals that year, so must have spent a fair bit of time up forward.
cliffdrabble as above the list is quite healthy for key backs all things considered - back in the day.

Just the way the award and footy has gone, the extra emphasis on around the ball, it’s very strongly weighted to on ball players.

Also these days the voting is indicating winners have higher totals that years gone by.

Is it a good trend? Unsure it is, but it’s not unfair to say on ball players are rock gold for the better teams.

For a while there, rucks were winning the Brownlow semi regularly but that too has dried up.

we saw back in the day Brownlow wins to, and not exclusive to, rucks like Roy Wright (dual winner from Richmond),
Len Thompson, Graham Moss, Graham Teasdale, Scott Wynd, Gary Dempsey, Peter Moore (x2), Barry Round.

These days what Grundy is doing in the medal is quite fantastic, he’d likely have won it last year if it was the old way.

All this above is mentioned as a point of interest.

Getting back to the original point though, some of these wingers were way more classy than the likes of Phillips and they played on opponents.

We're talking nearly 50 years ago so I can't give you specifics of who he played on in particular games.
My memory of Clifton is of a generally dependable beckman throughout the home and away season who was found wanting at
finals time as the tempo lifted and when playing on the expanses of the MCG.

Well I can't argue with those two...(but Brown and Millane would go close)!

Well I can't argue with those two...(but Brown and Millane would go close)!
Well Brown and Millane would be my pick for the best ever Colligwood wingmen, followed by Graham Wright. Was introduced to Graham Wright once after he almost got us over the line playing up forward v Hawthorn at VFL Park, a very rare occurrence. Was not impressed that he still at that stage barracked for Hawthorn, although he played for us.

We're talking nearly 50 years ago so I can't give you specifics of who he played on in particular games.
My memory of Clifton is of a generally dependable beckman throughout the home and away season who was found wanting at
finals time as the tempo lifted and when playing on the expanses of the MCG.
I couldn't agree with that. Clifton had good pace for his size in those days, so the expanses of the MCG were not his enemy. There were lots of star Full Forwards in those days Hudson, Wade. Jesaulenko to name a few. Clifton would have had as good a record as any (bar Southby who was an artist) against those guys, possibly helped by the fact that he was in a good side.

Full Backs were often forced to battle one out against kicks that were coming in with less pressure than happens in modern footy. Which is one of the reasons Full Forwards often kicked bags of goals in those days. Sure , the kicking was not as skilled as today, but guys like Clifton must think how it would be so much easier playing as a KD today with the clogged forward lines.

It was not Clifton who was destroyed by Ted Hopkins after half time in the 1970 GF. And Ted Hopkins was a very ordinary footballer.

Bert Deacon Carlton 1947

Thanks for doing the research. I was too lazy to do it. Interesting list. I only saw 2 of those players play, Collis and Glendinning. Interesting that Collier won in 1929. He had a fearsome reputation as an enforcer. Made even Richmond's famed Captain Blood Jack Dyer fear for his health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back