domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Interesting selections by Anderson. A bit of fun picking your own best 22. I would have to have Greening in that team, maybe at the expense of Pricey and Anthony Rocca over Clokey.

ANDO’S COLLINGWOOD BEST-22 – 1970-2020

Collingwood premiership captain Tony Shaw joined the podcast to discuss Jon Anderson’s Collingwood best-22 from 1970-2020.

B: Heath Shaw Simon Prestigiacomo James Clement

HB: Nathan Buckley Bill Picken Mick McGuane

C: Darren Millane Tony Shaw Gavin Brown

HF: Phil Carman Travis Cloke Dane Swan

F: Peter Moore Peter McKenna Peter Daicos

R: Len Thompson, Scott Pendlebury, Richardson

I: Steele Sidebottom Barry Price Rick Barham Brodie Grundy

BEST-22 – 1970-2020

B: Heath Shaw Simon Prestigiacomo James Clement

HB: Nathan Buckley Greg Phillips Mick McGuane

C: Darren Millane John Greening Chris Tarrant

HF: Phil Carman Saverio Rocca Dane Swan

F: Peter Moore Peter McKenna Peter Daicos

R: Len Thompson, Scott Pendlebury, W.Richardson

I: Steele Sidebottom Barry Price Gavin Brown Travis Cloke

A few changes. Phillips was a great CHB in a dysfunctional ego riddled team.
Greening is a moral for centre.
I begged for Tarrant to be moved to the wing after 02, as he was so strong overhead, and quick, the ideal link player IMO. Took Freo to realise his real abilities.
Sav pushes Cloke to the bench. Cloke to play as a high HF.
And some might recall I wanted Swan moved to FF after 2011. So strong, so fast, so explosive, that close to goal would've been unbeatable IMO.

I begged for Tarrant to be moved to the wing after 02, as he was so strong overhead, and quick, the ideal link player IMO. Took Freo to realise his real abilities.
And some might recall I wanted Swan moved to FF after 2011. So strong, so fast, so explosive, that close to goal would've been unbeatable IMO.

That's much closer to it for mine although:
- I'd have Ben Reid ahead of both Billy and Phillips
- IMHO Tarrant as a speculative wing is never going to displace Gavin Brown or even Wrighty for that matter. Wouldn't even make my short list.
- Pert is the best full back we've had at Collingwood in my time but sadly his best was behind him when he got here so Presti gets the nod.
- Agree, Grundy not there yet but not too far off pushing Thomo or Moore out. Probably Thomo.
- Then I'd need to replace Tarrant and I have to admit I'm torn. Wrighty is a long term favorite so probably gets the nod but could just as easily give that last spot to Tony Shaw, Tuddy, Crosisca, Russell, Paul Williams, Morwood, or Pebbles.

As I usually say, these types of lists are always very subjective and we'll all have our favorites. I don't think anybody actually ever gets their list wrong.

Last edited:
I think Swanny could have been Dusty like had he been placed in the goal square-a very difficult bloke to match up. I think on reflection I would have Reid ahead of Billy Picken (assuming both are at their best). Billy's kicking was atrocious at times and he lacked Reid's size.

Collingwood 1970 - 2020

B. J Clement ~ W Picken ~ S Burns

HB. J Greening ~ D Moore ~ M McGuane

C. W Richardson ~ N Buckley (c) ~ G Brown

HF. P Carman ~ P Moore ~ D Millane

F. P Daicos ~ P McKenna ~ J Elliott

R. L Thompson ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan

I. B Grundy ~ D Tuddenham ~ B Price ~ A Shaw

C. L Matthews

E. J De Goey, S Sidebottom, A Treloar, M Williams

Last edited:
Michael? Mark? I'd suggest it was Max Richardson over Wayne.

yeh i remembered mark afterwards but he was a bit tall for a rover. both richardson bros did a good job. i couldn't separate them to tell you the truth although i have general rememberance that wayne was better earlier on and max was better in the later years.

on the actual overall team, it brings to mind some general comments
rucks are as good as anything from other teams
ruck rover types - pendles, swan, bucks, micky etc as good as any. so good that they have stacked the half back line.
average goal to goal line with notable weaknesses in kicking, although mckenna obviously not but pete had his weaknesses too.
pretty slow across the board except for a few - barham
wing position very solid,
no run from defence
fabulous phil is my favourite player but my biggest disappointment bless him. In the team because of what he could do on a day.
backline needs jeremy howe and i'd fit him in.

Michael? Mark? I'd suggest it was Max Richardson over Wayne.
Absolutely have to be Wayne.

Max was a good footballer, good captain too, lost his hair early, but all that pales into insignificance of the excellence of Wayne Richardson.

Wayne might even be our most under appreciated champion. High level A grade player.

yeh i remembered mark afterwards but he was a bit tall for a rover. both richardson bros did a good job. i couldn't separate them to tell you the truth although i have general rememberance that wayne was better earlier on and max was better in the later years.

on the actual overall team, it brings to mind some general comments
rucks are as good as anything from other teams
ruck rover types - pendles, swan, bucks, micky etc as good as any. so good that they have stacked the half back line.
average goal to goal line with notable weaknesses in kicking, although mckenna obviously not but pete had his weaknesses too.
pretty slow across the board except for a few - barham
wing position very solid,
no run from defence
fabulous phil is my favourite player but my biggest disappointment bless him. In the team because of what he could do on a day.
backline needs jeremy howe and i'd fit him in.
Yes. Howe has to be in there! I am not sure who goes out.
I think Clement, Heater, McGunae and Bucks provide plenty of rebound run from defense.

Yes. Howe has to be in there! I am not sure who goes out.
I think Clement, Heater, McGunae and Bucks provide plenty of rebound run from defense.

yeh you could be right on rebound...but mick would run to the forward line and never go back. i loved clement but howe is a better version i think.

Burns Clifton Clement

Shaw D. Moore Pendlebury

Millane Buckley Brown

Tuddenham Cloke Greening

P. Moore McKenna Daicos

Grundy McGuane W. Richardson

Swan, Thomas, Wright, DeGoey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burns Clifton Clement

Shaw D. Moore Pendlebury

Millane Buckley Brown

Tuddenham Cloke Greening

P. Moore McKenna Daicos

Jeff Clifton is a very underrated player. He oozed class. I loved that raking left foot and poise under pressure. He was quick too. I don't know why he got traded after three or four years. Peter McCormack is another underrated full back who was very consistent and reliable.

Burns Clifton Clement

Shaw D. Moore Pendlebury

Millane Buckley Brown

Tuddenham Cloke Greening

P. Moore McKenna Daicos

I think I might need to apologise; I kind of left Tuddy out as he only played 1970 and 1971 (the years he actually came Back were twilight times as I recall).

The two seasons 1970 and 1971 were of his best years too.

i think I should bring him into my side on that basis?

Last edited:
Renee Kink would be in my team, along with Chocco Williams. Would also like to see Barwick get a run.
He who goes in, someone must go out.

Getting it to 22 is not a simple task.

Some are certainties eg Buckley, Pendlebury, Daicos, McKenna etc etc.

its those last few of who is in and who is out that makes it a tougher juggling act.

For what it’s worth, Kink was far to spasmodic for my liking.
Barwick was fine B grade medium level player but others were better, but that’s no slight but more about quite a few superior players in my view.

Mark Williams, yes he makes a strong case for inclusion, one of my unlucky players that just missed. Excellent captain, player of superior play and kept on keeping on even in our lesser years.
Very worthy of inclusion.

Be interesting to see your 22 (be tough leaving out quite a few beauties)

Collingwood 1970 - 2020

B. J Clement ~ W Picken ~ S Burns

HB. J Greening ~ D Moore ~ M McGuane

C. W Richardson ~ N Buckley (c) ~ G Brown

HF. P Carman ~ P Moore ~ D Millane

F. P Daicos ~ P McKenna ~ J Elliott

R. L Thompson ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan

I. B Grundy ~ D Tuddenham ~ B Price ~ A Shaw

C. L Matthews

E. J De Goey, S Sidebottom, A Treloar, M Williams

It's fun having a crack at these, and yours is pretty good team. Albeit I could not have Darcy Moore in the team given his limited games and injury history.

B. N Maxwell ~ S Prestigiacomo ~ H Shaw

H.B G Brown ~ W Picken ~ J Clement

C. D Millane ~ N Buckley ~ S Sidebottom

HF. P Daicos ~ T Cloke ~ P Carman

F. P Moore ~ P McKenna ~ A Didak

R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan

I/C T Shaw ~ J Greening ~ W. Richardson ~ L Thompson

Emerg. G Wright ~ M Williams ~ P Licuria ~ S Burns

This time frame coincides with the period I have been following the Pies. I really started taking notice from 1970 (not a great year to start!).

I tried to pick the side with players in positions that they would reasonably be selected to play in.

B: H.Shaw - J.Clifton - J.Clement

HB: B.Johnston - W.Picken - G.Crosisca

C: D.Millane - A.Shaw - G.Brown

HF: J.Greening - A.Rocca - M.McGuane

F: D.Swan - P.McKenna - P.Daicos

R: B.Grundy - N.Buckley - S.Pendlebury

Int: P.Moore - D.Tuddenham - P.Carman - W.Richardson

Emerg: L.Thompson - B.Price - S.Burns - S.Sidebottom

It's fun having a crack at these, and yours is pretty good team. Albeit I could not have Darcy Moore in the team given his limited games and injury history.

B. N Maxwell ~ S Prestigiacomo ~ H Shaw

H.B G Brown ~ W Picken ~ J Clement

C. D Millane ~ N Buckley ~ S Sidebottom

HF. P Daicos ~ T Cloke ~ P Carman

F. P Moore ~ P McKenna ~ A Didak

R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan

I/C T Shaw ~ J Greening ~ W. Richardson ~ L Thompson

Emerg. G Wright ~ M Williams ~ P Licuria ~ S Burns
I’m looking at your team, I’m probably a bit harsh on Didak, he deserves to be strongly considered, excellent player.

The rest is really good by you though not Maxwell for me.

Good fun these teams.

Last edited:
He who goes in, someone must go out.

Getting it to 22 is not a simple task.

Some are certainties eg Buckley, Pendlebury, Daicos, McKenna etc etc.

its those last few of who is in and who is out that makes it a tougher juggling act.

For what it’s worth, Kink was far to spasmodic for my liking.
Barwick was fine B grade medium level player but others were better, but that’s no slight but more about quite a few superior players in my view.

Mark Williams, yes he makes a strong case for inclusion, one of my unlucky players that just missed. Excellent captain, player of superior play and kept on keeping on even in our lesser years.
Very worthy of inclusion.

Be interesting to see your 22 (be tough leaving out quite a few beauties)
My 22 would be based on favourites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back