Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not convinced it’s close unless Noble shows he can defend better over the next fortnight. Don’t get me wrong I’ve grown to like what he brings to the table and he was without a doubt one of the best footballers in the league to finish 2023 at reserve level. He just slipped defensively late last year. Markov ain’t Bruce Doull, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest Noble has bridged that gap. As we stand I think injury is Noble’s best chance.

Also it wasn’t in this post I just wanted to address it though, AJ v Kreuger v Reef. I’m with you and would be leaning toward AJ, but the option of Kreuger allowing us to then sub out a ruck appeals to me v GWS.
If Darcy Cameron starts being able to take on a higher percentage of ruck time, do you see the potential for a Kreuger vs Cox question to emerge at all throughout the year?

Looking forward to Krueger proving a few ppl wrong on here
He looked like he was much less reckless yesterday, took a couple of good marks.

Loved that clever tap he gave off (can't remember who it was too) as he was falling to the ground in the forward line which resulted in a goal.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we'll have some retirements in the next few years. We're the oldest list apparently, but that's partly because our veterans are uber-veterans. I don't have the list exactly but: Mitchell, Howe, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, Mihocek -- all getting on.

My hope is they all have some time off in the next year or so, while others get some game time. Though that's unlikely, given last year's selection policy.
Always surprises me how people talk ‘averages’ when it makes little sense in determining something as simple as age profile.

Take it from me. Lippa will not last long with a couple of these guys banging at the door.
It's not that I don't like him.

Keep giving me all the dislikes you want. Just watch.
Lippa is a premiership player and I love him. Unfortunately he will be one of the first to make way for a De Mattia or Edward. Lots of others knocking at that door.
Nah, you will b e proven wrong.

If Darcy Cameron starts being able to take on a higher percentage of ruck time, do you see the potential for a Kreuger vs Cox question to emerge at all throughout the year?
Probably not because despite playing basically all of the back end of 2023 Kreuger just feels to vulnerable to injury. I felt the same way toward Murphy from 2019-21 then it clicked so who knows.

Last edited:
People fretting about the 23 and who will be cut…AFL is a game of attrition. If you’re in the top 30 you’ll get a game most weeks if you’re fit and on account of injuries and form. We will/should manage our older stars as well throughout the season. So in my mind there is no concern with Lippa being dropped

Big Coxy no guarantee every week at this stage. Might get overtaken
I won't be at all surprised to see Beggy, Frampton, Kreuger given opportunities, during the year, to play 2nd ruck with Cameron occupying the #1 ruck role (all things - injuries - being equal, which they never are!)

Fly (in his recent interview with Damo) mentions something about 'his close rel'p with Coxy' and 'understanding what makes him tick / motivates him' ie. needing a gentle rocket every now & then!

[/QUOTE]
Possibly but if I was going to play Krueger I wouldn't have him in the ruck, I'd go with Cox and Cameron still, but working to get some game time into Begg and/or Steene to prepare one of them to takeover when Cox retires.

The big question I have with Krueger is if he can have impact at AFL level. Only played maybe 3 full games im total so it's a small sample size, the potential is there and he's shown glimpses but it's whether he can actually show it consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Coxy no guarantee every week at this stage. Might get overtaken
I think you are correct about Coxy mate on his whole pre season showing,I really liked Krueger in the practice match I he brings better pressure than either AJ or Reef he just needs to stay on the field.

If he does I think he will surprise a few people, over the first 2mths of pre season he just seemed to be going the motions and then a few weeks he was just running laps and I thought he could be gone at the end of the year but he seems to have turned it around.

Back on Coxy he seems to be coasting and I am not sure he can afford to do that as I think young Oscar is not far off the mark either.

He’s a late starter though,so in football terms he’s probably more like 28.
He is not playing like a 28 yo though, I can see him being replaced and struggling to get back in,Cameron over pre season has definitely gone him and is no 1 ruck but Cox will not be able to Coast as he seems to be doing ATM,Krueger or Steene could overtake him and that,s before McStay come back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back