Preview Match Sim v North @ AIA - Wed Feb 21st. 10am. 4x25min

Remove this Banner Ad

Given Schultz offers the same pressure but is better elsewhere it might come to something else.
Someone like McCrae would make way for McCreery if the former became a regular. There is always the possibility that McCreery will step up a level too. Much may depend on what happens with Johnson and McInnes. If both are played, selection of smalls would be tight.

A couple of years ago Tyler Brown kept him out so I’m not convinced he’s safe from McRae wanting another mid rotation.

We also have three small forwards ahead of him this year and I’m not convinced we’ll go in with four every game.

I don’t see him as a lock until he unless he turns his midfield form around against Richmond.

I could be wrong and and we will go in with four small forwards or maybe they will be willing to persist with a few poor performances in the midfield from McCreery until he’s up to speed every match but it has a similar feeling of the Ginnivan and Hill will play together last season debate.

I also don’t share you sentiment Frampton but it’s old ground.
Doesn't need midfield time - 4 small forwards at 75% game time gives us 3 on the ground. You just need one of the 4 to play another role to bump that game time upwards.

A couple of years ago Tyler Brown kept him out so I’m not convinced he’s safe from McRae wanting another mid rotation.

We also have three small forwards ahead of him this year and I’m not convinced we’ll go in with four every game.

I don’t see him as a lock until he unless he turns his midfield form around against Richmond.

I could be wrong and and we will go in with four small forwards or maybe they will be willing to persist with a few poor performances in the midfield from McCreery until he’s up to speed every match but it has a similar feeling of the Ginnivan and Hill will play together last season debate.

After Beaus round 3 debut in his 1st season the only time Tyler played in a game Beau didn't was round 3 2022. V Geelong. Looking back at the team list Beau went out injured and didnt play til round 6. Tyler was dropped for that match but ended up the unused sub. Other than that Beau was sub in round 11 when Tyler played. There are no other games where Tyler played and Beau didn't apart from round 3 2022 and Beau was injured. Stretch to say Tyler over Beau has any meaning at all. Beau has been locked into the team the last 2 seasons

After Beaus round 3 debut in his 1st season the only time Tyler played in a game Beau didn't was round 3 2022. V Geelong. Looking back at the team list Beau went out injured and didnt play til round 6. Tyler was dropped for that match but ended up the unused sub. Other than that Beau was sub in round 11 when Tyler played. There are no other games where Tyler played and Beau didn't apart from round 3 2022 and Beau was injured. Stretch to say Tyler over Beau has any meaning at all. Beau has been locked into the team the last 2 seasons
That stat is misleading because Beau was an unused substitute against Carlton where Tyler played.

Doesn't need midfield time - 4 small forwards at 75% game time gives us 3 on the ground. You just need one of the 4 to play another role to bump that game time upwards.
We could go that way I just don’t see that being preferenced all year.

I don’t think Beau is being trialled in the midfield just for the fun of it.

We could go that way I just don’t see that being preferenced all year.

I don’t think Beau is being trialled in the midfield just for the fun of it.
I think he's being trialled there because he's probably shown a fair bit there.

They may very well be hoping he can slot straight into the Adams role - with Schultz slotting into Beau's role. However, if that doesn't work out, there's still a place for Beau.

They may very well be hoping he can slot straight into the Adams role - with Schultz slotting into Beau's role. However, if that doesn't work out, there's still a place for Beau.

It’s a logical move to build up time in the midfield.

Just adding another string to our Beau.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Beau slotting in as the next Adams is the most ideal situation imo. Maybe with Pendlebury and Mitchell back feeding to him he can perform better there.

I think he has shown a bit of midfield potential just needs a fair bit of refining.

There’s still a spot for him if the midfield move doesn’t work out but I don’t think it’s as secure as everyone else is suggesting.

Someone like McCrae would make way for McCreery if the former became a regular. There is always the possibility that McCreery will step up a level too. Much may depend on what happens with Johnson and McInnes. If both are played, selection of smalls would be tight.

McCreery's power through the middle would be a handy asset, but if anything he needs to slow down a little and learn to read the play at stoppages a bit better, rather than just try to barge through bull-at-a-gate style and then (if he gets his hands on the ball) get a panicky handball off if he can't break through the tackler(s).

Also needs to do the same once he has gained that 5-10m of separation and its time to deliver the ball downfield either trying to find a team mate or having a shot at goal. If he can manage this then he will be a another dangerous option in our midfield rotation going forward.

That stat is misleading because Beau was an unused substitute against Carlton where Tyler played.
Not really. Basic point is Tyler was in no significant way ever preferred over Beau.

I’m not a fan of going in with just Howe and Moore as a key defenders. Leaves us short to being with and also pretty screwed if one gets an injury. It worked against Brisbane but they only play with two key forwards, they don’t have an extra ruck or third tall and Hipwood is barely imposing as a tall option.

And as much as I like Kreuger I’d still have Johnson ahead. I think with Ash showing more consistency in the aerial contest and more fight when it gets ground level it will be enough for him get the nod.

I’d go:
Johnson for Murphy, Frampton back.
Lipinski in the 22, Crisp to half back and Markov or McCreery to the sub with the other out.
Macrae or Sullivan in for whoever’s out of McCreery or Markov.
Schultz for Ginnivan.

A lot can change till now and the start of the season though.
I'm assuming that GWS will go with either Keefe or another tall - if they rest an additional tall (ruck) in the forward line then we could easily put Krueger in the backline and put either Cox or Cameron forward, agree Lipinski goes into the 22. My reckoning for a fit Kreuger over Frampton is that he's a more capable forward and he can play back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming that GWS will go with either Keefe or another tall - if they rest an additional tall (ruck) in the forward line then we could easily put Krueger in the backline and put either Cox or Cameron forward, agree Lipinski goes into the 22. My reckoning for a fit Kreuger over Frampton is that he's a more capable forward and he can play back.
I’d prefer we just pick a full set of talls than going for a deficit at either end and forcing our team to be reactive to their moves.

I’ve also seen enough of relying on a second ruck as our primary forward target in the Buckley era but that’s just a personal pet peeve.

Kreuger hasn’t played a minute in defence since he came over from Geelong so he so not sure the club share your view on his versatility and I doubt he would be familiar enough with our structures to play there.

My biggest question for team after this game is how many mids are we going to play?

There’s one or two spot available for WHE, Markov and Noble depending on how many mids like Pendlebury, Naicos and Crisp we play back.

And on the other side of the field how many small forwards are we going play?
Three or four? Are we going to drop one to fit Macrae, Sullivan or Bytel in? Or are we’re going to go with four small forwards. If it’s the former I think McCreery might be in trouble as Schultz can do every he can do but better and McCreery hasn’t been convincing in his midfield time either to put his hand up as a genuine mid option atm.

I also didn’t think Frampton was that bad. Hard to judge anything he defensively given there was no pressure all game whilst our whole defensive structure relies on that but I thought Frampton looked more like the player we were sold when he was at Adelaide. Looked more confident going for intercept marks and looked more confident ball in hand as opposed to looking like Prestigiacomo last season when played at full back.
You need to move on from querying McReery’s role in the side! When fit he’s been outside the best 22 on one occasion since McRae joined the club (unused medical sub v Carlton 2022) and the way the coaching staff and playing group talk about him he could be Dangerfield at some point. There’s zero chance any of Bytel, Sullivan or Macrae push him out unless they can start applying the same pressure on the man. Things didn’t roll his way in a training session where most of the team got beaten it happens.

You need to move on from querying McReery’s role in the side! When fit he’s been outside the best 22 on one occasion since McRae joined the club (unused medical sub v Carlton 2022) and the way the coaching staff and playing group talk about him he could be Dangerfield at some point. There’s zero chance any of Bytel, Sullivan or Macrae push him out unless they can start applying the same pressure on the man. Things didn’t roll his way in a training session where most of the team got beaten it happens.
I’m happy to believe both of the bolded.

As I said in an earlier post he may look better in the midfield with Mitchell and Pendlebury feeding it too him.

But until I see some actual progress of his midfield game I’m going to continue to question the spot of a 4th place small forward.

He played midfield for the majority of his junior years

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully he shows that against Richmond.

McCreery debuted in round 2 or 3 of his first year on the list, and as far as I’m aware has never been dropped. He has missed due to injury, but he’s been in the best 22 since very early on. I think we’d have to be going exceptionally well for him to be squeezed out.

McCreery debuted in round 2 or 3 of his first year on the list, and as far as I’m aware has never been dropped. He has missed due to injury, but he’s been in the best 22 since very early on. I think we’d have to be going exceptionally well for him to squeezed out.
He was dropped for the first Carlton game in 2022 and it wasn’t due to injury as he was unused substitute that game.

I’d prefer we just pick a full set of talls than going for a deficit at either end and forcing our team to be reactive to their moves.

I’ve also seen enough of relying on a second ruck as our primary forward target in the Buckley era but that’s just a personal pet peeve.

Kreuger hasn’t played a minute in defence since he came over from Geelong so he so not sure the club share your view on his versatility and I doubt he would be familiar enough with our structures to play there.
I think Bruzzy's ability to play tall is underappreciated.

If Murphy is out, and we want to bring in Macrae, I'd have no qualms with Bruzzy holding his shape in defence and Crisp taking Bruzzy's role.

He was dropped for the first Carlton game in 2022 and it wasn’t due to injury as he was unused substitute that game.

I’d say he was managed more so than dropped given McRae says we pick and name 23 players every week.

I think Bruzzy's ability to play tall is underappreciated.

If Murphy is out, and we want to bring in Macrae, I'd have no qualms with Bruzzy holding his shape in defence and Crisp taking Bruzzy's role.
I don’t think it’s under appreciated, happy for Bruzzy to play that role when there’s an in game injury but wouldn’t go into game into a game where that’s plan A when there are capable talls available.

McCreery's power through the middle would be a handy asset, but if anything he needs to slow down a little and learn to read the play at stoppages a bit better, rather than just try to barge through bull-at-a-gate style and then (if he gets his hands on the ball) get a panicky handball off if he can't break through the tackler(s).

Also needs to do the same once he has gained that 5-10m of separation and its time to deliver the ball downfield either trying to find a team mate or having a shot at goal. If he can manage this then he will be an another dangerous option in our midfield rotation going forward.
DeGoey 2.0?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back