VFL VFL Round 18 Collingwood v Sandringham @ AIA Centre. Sunday July 23rd. 12pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Freddy showed today was how he can drop marks and is the most uncoordinated/Clumsy footballer I’ve ever seen and the most injury prone. Did nothing to show he would be useful in the seniors unless you want someone to fall on a pack.
A sneaky role could be the excrement truck.:) He would not even have to act to play this role.

Yep. Bring in a bloke who struggles to get through a quarter without limping off or holding his shoulder who averages 3 touches a game as a replacement for a bloke who has stood up in the intensity of finals and been a good contributor for 2 seasons. Makes sense.
Here he is! Domey goes bang!

He's been putting up some good form in the VFL mate so he could be an option to get his spot back given Cox's poor form. It's not a personal attack on the big man, I promise.

Here he is! Domey goes bang!

He's been putting up some good form in the VFL mate so he could be an option to get his spot back given Cox's poor form. It's not a personal attack on the big man, I promise.
I know! It's all about footy and the team. Cox is valuable. Did you not watch the last quarter? He won three decisive centre bounce taps which were to our advantage and had us charging into our forward line. Krueger would not have got a hand on any of them. He grabbed the pill at another ball up deep in their forward pocket with a bout 5 minutes remaining and threw it on his boot and the kick was marked by Lipinski and drove it long and we were out of a precarious situation. Krueger could not do that given his height and size. These moments matter. He set up a goal after a mark with a deft handpass to a teammate running past. That's the game right there. There is so much more to his role than racking up 20 possessions. I can't believe others can't see that.

Atm I agree. Cox is a liability up forward unless the balls kicked on his head. Handy on the ruck yes, but I’d rather a useful forward and manageable ruck than a good ruck and liability up forward.

Atm big coxy ain’t offering enough IMO

I think Port had done their homework and realised that we only kick to Cox in a pack - thus Aliir could just ignore him.

I know! It's all about footy and the team. Cox is valuable. Did you not watch the last quarter? He won three decisive centre bounce taps which were to our advantage and had us charging into our forward line. Krueger would not have got a hand on any of them. He grabbed the pill at another ball up deep in their forward pocket with a bout 5 minutes remaining and threw it on his boot and the kick was marked by Lipinski and drove it long and we were out of a precarious situation. Krueger could not do that given his height and size. These moments matter. He set up a goal after a mark with a deft handpass to a teammate running past. That's the game right there. There is so much more to his role than racking up 20 possessions. I can't believe others can't see that.
I don't think anyone's got an issue with him when he's in the ruck. It's the forward bit, and with Cameron playing 80% time in the ruck - the forward bit is the bigger part of his role.

Just finished watching the game.
Ginni loved his intensity
Draper - masking it hard for me to maintain my draft night crush. He great inside but rarely in there and lacks “hunt” / intensity. If he could channel Ginny’s.
Thought a number if our players played from behind too often. Bad enough when dry, worse when ball is wet and falls short.
Liked Murley’s start.
I think one a dry, sunny MCG, Allan has the tools to tear it apart.
Like to see HH get it more. Is he inside / in the centre enough?
Mac - doing what he’s done all year
Loved it when Reef moved out of the forward line and got leather poisoning
Kelly - no
Thought it was a day when Carmy should have dominated
Ryan needs to cut his hair

Draper - masking it hard for me to maintain my draft night crush. He great inside but rarely in there and lacks “hunt” / intensity. If he could channel Ginny’s.
Thought a number if our players played from behind too often. Bad enough when dry, worse when ball is wet and falls short.
Liked Murley’s start.
Kelly - no

I didn’t watch the whole game but

Agree on Ginni…. Worked extemely hard.
Kreuger had a typical almost game
Bianco Ruscoe and McInnes were busy all day and are excellent depth if required.
Frampton is a class above this level as a defender.
Carmichael won’t make it, he’s at his high water mark already.
Kelly .. no words. Haircut is better, losing the curls.
Allan is definitely a winner… and the club rightly is playing the long game with him. Will get there in time.
Ryan is impressive. Good to see we still have a SA mullet after delist8ng poults

Liked Murley’s start.
Kelly - no
Not sure about Carmichael, had 30 disposals on a wet shitty day

He needs his opportunities, he would get senior games at a host of other Clubs. There must be Clubs sniffing around.
That seems to be the consensus view on here, but I'm not convinced. When I watch the VFL, there's usually an opposiiton AFL listed guy who is as impressive as Finn.

Updated stats:

Ginni the highest ranked player on the ground (112 AF points)
JG: 29 disposals. 5 tackles. 3 clearances. 2 goals
Carmichael - 29 disposals. 7 clearances
Macrae - 26 disposals. 6 tackles
Bianco - 26 disposals
Allan - 25 disposals. 4 tackles. 4 clearances
Ruscoe - 20 disposals. 3 marks
Jakob Ryan - 19 disposals. 6 marks. 4 tackles
Harrison - 18 disposals. 6 marks
Frampton - 17 disposals. 7 marks
Wilson - 15 disposals. 6 marks. 1 goal
Reef - 13 disposals. 3 tackles
Draper - 12 disposals.
Murley - 9 disposals. 1 goal
Begg - 9 disposals. 12 hitouts. 5 tackles. 5 clearances
Steene - 6 disposals. 17 hitouts. 3 marks

I don't think anyone's got an issue with him when he's in the ruck. It's the forward bit, and with Cameron playing 80% time in the ruck - the forward bit is the bigger part of his role.
Dixon kicked one goal. Marshall kicked one goal. Finnlayson had one touch up until half time. They are established recognised forwards who often have less impact than Cox.
There are a handful of genuine star forwards who influence games every week. Even Cameron is averaging one goal a game in the past 7 games.

Cox has 2 roles. He has the capacity to change and even win games. That is not his job but the bloke has done it a number of times. He is an important part of our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon kicked one goal. Marshall kicked one goal. Finnlayson had one touch up until half time. They are established recognised forwards who often have less impact than Cox.
There are a handful of genuine star forwards who influence games every week. Even Cameron is averaging one goal a game in the past 7 games.

Cox has 2 roles. He has the capacity to change and even win games. That is not his job but the bloke has done it a number of times. He is an important part of our team.
You would not spare Cox’s performances over the last month if he were any other player on our list. He does everything he can and I’ll always love him, but it doesn’t mean he is always in our best 22.

He’d be thrilled for Nathan or Ash if they get the nod this week. Stop projecting your victimhood mentality onto the big man.

Updated stats:

Ginni the highest ranked player on the ground (112 AF points)
JG: 29 disposals. 5 tackles. 3 clearances. 2 goals
Carmichael - 29 disposals. 7 clearances
Macrae - 26 disposals. 6 tackles
Bianco - 26 disposals
Allan - 25 disposals. 4 tackles. 4 clearances
Ruscoe - 20 disposals. 3 marks
Jakob Ryan - 19 disposals. 6 marks. 4 tackles
Harrison - 18 disposals. 6 marks
Frampton - 17 disposals. 7 marks
Wilson - 15 disposals. 6 marks. 1 goal
Reef - 13 disposals. 3 tackles
Draper - 12 disposals.
Murley - 9 disposals. 1 goal
Begg - 9 disposals. 12 hitouts. 5 tackles. 5 clearances
Steene - 6 disposals. 17 hitouts. 3 marks
Macrae missed the whole 3rd quarter with that thumb issue. Not bad for 3 quarters

It's not about his offensive output as a forward. He's good for a big grab and goal most weeks. It's that he's so one dimensional as a forward that his man can ignore him, peel off and become a + 1 at contests and make it harder for all the other forwards and make it harder for us to win the territory battle. And then there's the pressure that he can't apply - thus exacerbating that.

Yeah, good call, I reckon this a massive chance of this happening. I think McRae and co would really prefer our makeup was one dedicated ruckman and a compotent pinch hitter ruck/forward that still fits into our franetic gamestyle. Kreuger is capable of consistently providing a contest in the air and on the ground if he's fit.
We limit ourselves with two lumbering rucks, Cox's TOG numbers are proof of how we are constantly having to carefully manage that balance. Cox having 1% more game time than a bloke who get subbed midway through the third quarter is worrying for him.

Kreug's showed enough to me today to say he's ready to go. If he can stay for, I think he fills that role perfectly.
Kruger can’t Ruck - he’d be useless pinch hitting.
Until he shows dramatic improvement in that area he can’t to replace Cox, despite his other traits.

Jack Ginnivan is a 20 year old who has played 36 games averaging 1.5 goals a game trying to break into the team on top of the ladder. I think it is more 31 year old Jamie Elliott's spot he is looking at or he needs to add other strings to his game which Collingwood and him are now doing.

The only thing he lacks is leg speed.

Collingwood would be stupid to trade him unless a club is paying overs and Ginnivan would be stupid to leave.
He also can’t mark/play tall like Elliot.
Reef is the more logical replacement for Elliot.

Kruger can’t Ruck - he’d be useless pinch hitting.
Until he shows dramatic improvement in that area he can’t to replace Cox, despite his other traits.
15-20% game time in the ruck. Against most of the other challengers it'd be mainly against a fellow forward pinch hitting. I'd be picking the best forward.

It would be cool having all of our three tall forwards being strong enough to stand their ground in a contest. Krueger still has questions over potential injury and fit after not playing all year. I also worry about his physicality. It's a positive, but not sure it's controlled enough to not give away a free kick in the last minute of a final. Not a fair concern, as he's never played enough to show if its a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back