VFL VFL Round 18 Collingwood v Sandringham @ AIA Centre. Sunday July 23rd. 12pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao Reef is literally the fastest player we have over 20m on the list. Having said that, I think his future is in the midfield, he just needs to keep building that tank.

Yeah it would be quite a race over 20m at the Pies these days. From what I have seen on field this year, I think Bobby Hill would have them covered over 20. Beau, Reef, Ed Allan, Harrison all swift.

Yeah it would be quite a race over 20m at the Pies these days. From what I have seen on field this year, I think Bobby Hill would have them covered over 20. Beau, Reef, Ed Allan, Harrison all swift.
They do sprints often at training, I don't recall Hill winning any of them. I'll have to look closer next time.

They do sprints often at training, I don't recall Hill winning any of them. I'll have to look closer next time.
It's funny how straight line testing doesn't always translate to ball-in-hand pace - I reckon they should test their pace holding a footy at the combine to get a better sense of game speed.

Makes sense too as running holding a footy would significantly alter gait.

Hill is fast but these blokes within 20m would have him covered I think.
Impressive when Reef and Edward are over 190cm.

Yeah it was aggressive. It probably would have been fine without that last bit, but you went too far, and now you’re trying to gloss over it. I’ve got no problem with people pointing out player flaws or areas of improvement, but the nasty s**t should be left at the door.

I challenge you to go back and watch a recording of that game and tell me there isn't more than a few passages of play where he was doing exactly what I pointed out. There are more occasions than I'd like where Frampton's attitude and level of effort/application are basically the antithesis of what we all want our team to be about.

In the context of him replacing Howe at this stage I stand by the assessment that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that he'd be able to do that even remotely effectively if he's going to continue putting in performances like he did in his last start.

Also not glossing anything over, you should know by now that if I have an opinion I stick to it, rather than cowering before a (somewhat hypercritical?) group of naysayers.

I challenge you to go back and watch a recording of that game and tell me there isn't more than a few passages of play where he was doing exactly what I pointed out. There are more occasions than I'd like where Frampton's attitude and level of effort/application are basically the antithesis of what we all want our team to be about.

In the context of him replacing Howe at this stage I stand by the assessment that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that he'd be able to do that even remotely effectively if he's going to continue putting in performances like he did in his last start.

Also not glossing anything over, you should know by now that if I have an opinion I stick to it, rather than cowering before a (somewhat hypercritical?) group of naysayers.
I’m going to repeat myself here. I have no problem with your opinion. There’s a lot in there I agree with. But the last part of your post was aggressive and unnecessary. And yes, you’re glossing over that. I can respect you sticking to your opinion, but I can’t respect the type of language you used at the end of the post to describe him.

Don't really like the 20m sprint as a measure of pace and have said this many times before. If you are going to have it as standard measurements at things like the combine, record 5 and 10m intervals. The blokes that are on top of the list for 20m times won't be the same as the blokes that are on top of the 5 and 10m intervals, and that short space explosiveness is more important for AFL level speed than blokes who are fastest over 20m, because the first 5-10 metres is where you explode clear of your opponent/s. Once you get to 20m sprinting with the ball your pace isn't that important anymore as you are either clear of the pack and can freely dispose or you are under pressure and need to get rid. Similar with chasing people down, closing distance quickly over 5-10m is where you are gonna do the most damage defensively, if you are sprinting 20m in the vast majority of situations the opposition has already disposed of the ball. You get the odd run down from behind from a long way back, but those situations rarely happen on a game to game basis.

I'd be willing to bet someone like Allan and probably McInnes who have elite 20m times are not heading the list of a 5 or 10m interval, they're more likely someone who comes home in the last 10m really well which makes more sense for faster big blokes who don't have a low center of gravity. Which isn't nothing but it's far less valuable as translating to useful AFL speed (though it probably is a bit more useful in a key position role when making longer leads when you are matched up on opposition KPP's).

Last edited:
Don't really like the 20m sprint as a measure of pace and have said this many times before. If you are going to have it as standard measurements at things like the combine, record 5 and 10m intervals. The blokes that are on top of the list for 20m times won't be the same as the blokes that are on top of the 5 and 10m intervals, and that short space explosiveness is more important for AFL level speed than blokes who are fastest over 20m, because the first 5-10 metres is where you explode clear of your opponent/s. Once you get to 20m sprinting with the ball your pace isn't that important anymore as you are either clear of the pack and can freely dispose or you are under pressure and need to get rid. Similar with chasing people down, closing distance quickly over 5-10m is where you are gonna do the most damage defensively, if you are sprinting 20m in the vast majority of situations the opposition has already disposed of the ball. You get the odd run down from behind from a long way back, but those situations rarely happen on a game to game basis.

I'd be willing to bet someone like Allan and probably McInnes who have elite 20m times are not heading the list of a 5 or 10m interval, they're more likely someone who comes home in the last 10m really well which makes more sense for faster big blokes who don't have a low center of gravity. Which isn't nothing but it's far less valuable as translating to useful AFL speed (though it probably is a bit more useful in a key position role when making longer leads).
Chris Judd was the king of first 20m sprints. Always worked to his advantage

He reads it better and is faster so gets to more aerial contests and is harder to zone off from.

But I think Coxy will stay due to his ruck work. We can afford to play him low minutes - as Checkers and McStay both play really big minutes. Plus Adelaide Oval isn't for him - it's too long and skinny -less run and carry due to the skinniness and forwards and defenders all play higher up the ground - at the G he's not as much of a liability as a forward, as there are more hotspot contests and less half forward flank aerial contests - where his lack of pace and game reading and thus inability to get to contests is fully exposed.
This is one of the annoyances with our game plan, it seems designed specifically for the 'G. Other grounds often see us having trouble moving the ball. It's only slightly annoying, the 'G is where we need to play best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the annoyances with our game plan, it seems designed specifically for the 'G. Other grounds often see us having trouble moving the ball. It's only slightly annoying, the 'G is where we need to play best.
I think Adelaide Oval is the only real issue. But we still went 3 from 3 there this year.

I'd be willing to bet someone like Allan and probably McInnes who have elite 20m times are not heading the list of a 5 or 10m interval, they're more likely someone who comes home in the last 10m really well which makes more sense for faster big blokes who don't have a low center of gravity. Which isn't nothing but it's far less valuable as translating to useful AFL speed (though it probably is a bit more useful in a key position role when making longer leads when you are matched up on opposition KPP's).
Nah.

The difference between fast and slow in the AFL is about 10%. That's about 50cm over 5metres. If what you were saying is true,you could play Mason Cox as a pressure forward as what he'd lose when chasing versus Bobby Hill over the important 5 metres, he'd gain back with his extra reach.

b777852dc5311140e66fd53ba6877544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back