VFL VFL v Essendon - Sunday April 23rd @ Vic Park. 12pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm talking afl relevance, I see a lot of good vfl types like you said goid vfl team.
Very good AFL players will dominate the VFL - clearly we don't have many very good AFL players in the VFL side right now - that's understandable when we've got an injury list of around 12 and several other candidates not playing as they are emergencies for today's game. The lack of personnel in our side on the weekend allowed Murley to play some mid-field time and he played the best game I've seen him play. Put another 10 or so listed players into last week-end's VFL side and you'll see a completely different game - development players will be able to play development roles and there'll be a lot more structure and support - that was an awesome win on the weekend, the boys won when they had every excuse to lose - that's an AFL relevant performance!

Josh Carmichael was the hero for the Magpies, piling on 33 disposals, seven clearances and seven inside-50s while also kicking three goals, while champion Northern Bullants recruit Tom Wilson dominated at the same time his old team was breaking its drought with 32 possessions, five marks, five tackles and five entries in his best game as a Magpie.

Campbell Lane (28 disposals, seven rebounds), Neville Jetta (21 disposals, eight marks) and Ed Allan (19 disposals, five marks, seven tackles, five entries, five rebounds) were also prominent and Reef McInnes and Sam Glover joined Carmichael with three goals.

Thanks Jen. A good watch. Carmichael needs a few more like that to really press his AFL claims. Didn’t see much of Allan in the highlights reel but read that he played pretty well. High hopes for him.

Reef did a bit but I’m really not sure where he is at from an AFL perspective. I don’t think he’s an instinctive forward but lacks the tank to play midfield. Sub duty is about the best he can hope for unless we get a succession of injuries up forward.

I think he and Bianco might seek to be traded at year’s end for more opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's 7 players whose departures will probably be spread out over 4 years with a lot more draftees and more mature recruits to come in during that time. We've just added 4 ready mades in an off season and a couple of talented kids without spending a bomb. Getting the quality is the issue rather than the quantity and as always, development is going to be key for those currently inside and outside the team and those who land on the list over the coming years.

Yep, this.

Let’s not forget that at the end of 2020 through to 2021 msd we went for quantity due to the cap problems and picked up something like 11 first year players over that period. In subsequent years our draft hand was also limited somewhat due to previous trades the club had done or had to do to get the Nick D points. Then we lost Olly Henry, one of the decent picks we had landed, and had to go back to the well.

Now that we finally have clear air we are still not looking at a top ten pick due to our promising ladder position.

So we will obviously have some draftees not make it but gradually over time we are transitioning from quantity to quality at the draft table as our cap problems are alleviated and allow us to return to the market for experienced players.

Edit….. not to mention our large number of young players including 2020/21 draftees were affected ( developmentally speaking) by Covid, with the vfl season basically ruined for two years running.

Last edited:
Thanks Jen. A good watch. Carmichael needs a few more like that to really press his AFL claims. Didn’t see much of Allan in the highlights reel but read that he played pretty well. High hopes for him.

Reef did a bit but I’m really not sure where he is at from an AFL perspective. I don’t think he’s an instinctive forward but lacks the tank to play midfield. Sub duty is about the best he can hope for unless we get a succession of injuries up forward.

I think he and Bianco might seek to be traded at year’s end for more opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Reef is contracted. Bianco is not. Reef knows he has time, given he came off a an injury year in 2022.
He doesn't quite have the tank to play midfield yet, but that's something he can continue to work on each pre-season, but atm he does play like a good lead up forward with good hands. Then hopefully they can develop his midfield in time.

I would love if Carmy can really get 4-5 games like that one in a row - 25-30+ disposals, 2-3 goals, really push his case and grab his chance. He has a size and kick that could really be a weapon for us.
I think Carmy will get a call up to the 1sts for the Adelaide match next Sunday. You have to reward good form when it materialises and Carmy will be relatively fresh, coming off a 7 day break. Also the VFL side has a bye, so no point in having him cool his jets. As some might say, just play him!

I think Carmy will get a call up to the 1sts for the Adelaide match next Sunday. You have to reward good form when it materialises and Carmy will be relatively fresh, coming off a 7 day break. Also the VFL side has a bye, so no point in having him cool his jets. As some might say, just play him!

Four day break, ideal time to rest Elliot ( or Sidebottom)

Reef is contracted. Bianco is not. Reef knows he has time, given he came off a an injury year in 2022.
He doesn't quite have the tank to play midfield yet, but that's something he can continue to work on each pre-season, but atm he does play like a good lead up forward with good hands. Then hopefully they can develop his midfield in time.

My concern with Reef at the moment is that he had a full preseason but even at VFL he doesn’t seem to be running through the midfield much, if at all. Everything I have seen so far has him playing as a permanent forward.

I’m curious as to how we’re developing him and where we see him playing long term.

I really like Reef but am struggling to see his best role at AFL level currently.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My concern with Reef at the moment is that he had a full preseason but even at VFL he doesn’t seem to be running through the midfield much, if at all. Everything I have seen so far has him playing as a permanent forward.

I’m curious as to how we’re developing him and where we see him playing long term.

I really like Reef but am struggling to see his best role at AFL level currently.

Only the coaches will understand the long term view with him. Building a tank doesn't happen overnight with some players. But I see him as a forward mid, going to centre bounces in bursts.
Time will tell.

From what I’ve seen of his U18’s play, I think his best role at the moment would be as a Jack Crisp-style tall rebounding defender. Scope to move into the midfield later.

From what I’ve seen of his U18’s play, I think his best role at the moment would be as a Jack Crisp-style tall rebounding defender. Scope to move into the midfield later.
I didn't see any of his u18, but surprised that you view him as a run and carry type, as I've seen none of that. I'm thinking more your general defender is his go. Super athlete with clean hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see any of his u18, but surprised that you view him as a run and carry type, as I've seen none of that. I'm thinking more your general defender is his go. Super athlete with clean hands.

Not a lot of run-and-carry on display as a key forward!

He could play something similar to Murphy but his kicking might let him down. He does have good hands though as you say.

Not a lot of run-and-carry on display as a key forward!

He could play something similar to Murphy but his kicking might let him down. He does have good hands though as you say.
All the tools, but I dont think he has the smarts. I think he'll have an AFL career, but it might be more Gary Rohan than the JDG talk we've had on here. And I'd be ok with that

Last edited:
Very good AFL players will dominate the VFL - clearly we don't have many very good AFL players in the VFL side right now - that's understandable when we've got an injury list of around 12 and several other candidates not playing as they are emergencies for today's game. The lack of personnel in our side on the weekend allowed Murley to play some mid-field time and he played the best game I've seen him play. Put another 10 or so listed players into last week-end's VFL side and you'll see a completely different game - development players will be able to play development roles and there'll be a lot more structure and support - that was an awesome win on the weekend, the boys won when they had every excuse to lose - that's an AFL relevant performance!

Hard to say. What we have at the moment is mostly young and inexperienced AFL players in the VFL side. It’s what you get when you part ways with so many experienced AFL players in a short period of time and elect to replace via the draft.

I see Reef developing into the Jordy role as a forward/mid - clearly there's a lot of development ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back