VFL VFL Round 20 v Werribee @ Avalon Airport Oval. Sunday Aug 6th 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it’s all pretty s**t at this moment isn’t it
If the VFL team that played on Sunday is the best that we have going forward, then all I can say is that the cupboard is pretty bare. Again we are very deficient when it comes to emerging KEY POSITION players. In addition, most of our players appear under-sized & lacking muscle when compared to the opposition. Far too many lightweights!

The story of this team under McRae doesn't really suit a generic waltz to premiership glory. Maybe it's the adversity, against the odds vibe that they need.
To be comptely fair and balanced, it’s not his list. He’s 18months in, had only had really 1 trade period as 21 was all daicos. He’s still dealing with fall outs of prior admin, losses of draft capital, salary cap. To have us competing for a flag after all that is mighty impressive. There’s likely a fall coming due to ageing personnel, let’s just hope we can snag one before it happens

The key takeaways:

Mason Cox
showed his class in the ruck with an impressive 46 hit-outs, 15 disposals and a goal.

Second year player Harvey Harrison's effort was noticeable all afternoon. His eight tackles reflective of his pressure around the contest. It was also good to see Harrison play some minutes in the midfield, attending multiple centre-square bounces throughout the afternoon.

Despite just the six disposals, Jack Ginnivan was opportunistic with his shots at goals. Two majors, including one lovely snap from a clean crumb of the pack was a glimpse into what we know the electric small forward is capable of at his best.

Under pressure all afternoon, Trey Ruscoe also shone brightly in an undermanned defensive line. Seven marks to go with 20 disposals should put him in contention for promotion to the senior side.

First time ive seen a VFL summary this year lol

"Werribee had 119 more disposals (397 to Collingwood's 278) and 85 more marks (141 to 56). "

No wonder it made the forwards job harder when the mids struggled to get the ball. We had a lot of young go through there. Allan. reef. HH and Draper all seen on ball.
If you allow that many opposition uncontested marks you just aren't going to get the footy back. This is also why we had way less possessions.
This exact same scenario played out with our senior team against Hawthorn. Zero thirst to get the ball back because they are too busy guarding grass instead of making the opposition work for their possessions. AFL team 139 marks against & the VFL team 141 marks against. Between the two games we conceded 280 marks this weekend. That would probably be a world record. We obviously did not want the football in either game & were happy for our opponents to hog the footy. Not sure that is ever a good strategy.

If you allow that many opposition uncontested marks you just aren't going to get the footy back. This is also why we had way less possessions.
This exact same scenario played out with our senior team against Hawthorn. Zero thirst to get the ball back because they are too busy guarding grass instead of making the opposition work for their possessions. AFL team 139 marks against & the VFL team 141 marks against. Between the two games we conceded 280 marks this weekend. That would probably be a world record. We obviously did not want the football in either game & were happy for our opponents to hog the footy. Not sure that is ever a good strategy.
It definitely felt more system based. We let them outmark us so many times, everytime we went forward. On the wing, along the arcs. Definitely was similar to the AFL game.

It definitely felt more system based. We let them outmark us so many times, everytime we went forward. On the wing, along the arcs. Definitely was similar to the AFL game.
That’s how I felt watching it after the seniors. Dejavu. We just guarded space and they chipped their way up the wings with little interruption in the first especially. Their transition out of defence was a training drill in the first quarter.

It’s strange because it’s a well known tactic against all teams that zone. You’d think we’d hVe plans to stop it. It’s not new tactics.

In the seniors to my eye we alternated between guarding grass as you say, and having three of ours rush the opposition ball-carriers who then easily and repeatedly got the ball out to the many free players that we’d created for them. We just couldn’t get the balance right. It was either too few at the contest or too many, all game long.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it enough to secure a new contract? Or is too late?

If Murley doesn't go, then I don't know who does.
Its a tough delimma isn't it. Even Draper performed well I felt. Especially when put into the midfield. Took a nice mark off half back too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minimal injury list… not like relying on too many local footballers to generate a team.

No excuses for the VFL side… just a mid table team

But definitely a less experienced line up this year after losing a few of last years regular contributors in C Brown, Madgen, Poulter

Its a tough delimma isn't it. Even Draper performed well I felt. Especially when put into the midfield. Took a nice mark off half back too.
But the problem is we have to cut some players and holistically, we were awful so clearly we need to change. It's brutal who'll leave as they all have potential but it's the reality of the game.

If the VFL team that played on Sunday is the best that we have going forward, then all I can say is that the cupboard is pretty bare. Again we are very deficient when it comes to emerging KEY POSITION players. In addition, most of our players appear under-sized & lacking muscle when compared to the opposition. Far too many lightweights!
I've felt that way for a few years now. We always seem to have smallish lightly built VFL players. Yet we have finished one point short of a GF last year and have sat on top most of this year. Lucky? Not really as we have had our share of injuries.

I suggest we might be seeing some of these Werribee players in the AFL next season. Mannagh and Garoni the two most obvious, they are far superior to plenty of our AFL listed guys
Surely Declase gets back onto another list
Stiff being delisted after 6 months

Minimal injury list… not like relying on too many local footballers to generate a team.

No excuses for the VFL side… just a mid table team

But definitely a less experienced line up this year after losing a few of last years regular contributors in C Brown, Madgen, Poulter

I think as a generalization, the side becomes very young and inconsistent when we load up with senior listed players instead of VFL players, but we’re always going to do it anyway if the senior listed players are available. We have 21 senior listed player <50 senior games, I think 15 of them played against Werribee.

I think as a generalization, the side becomes very young and inconsistent when we load up with senior listed players instead of VFL players, but we’re always going to do it anyway if the senior listed players are available. We have 21 senior listed player <50 senior games, I think 15 of them played against Werribee.
Thats right.
Last weekend:
WHE and Cox was our most experienced.
Then
Ginni on his 36 games

Otherwise we had 17 players under 50 games
10 of them were 21 or younger

Thats right.
Last weekend:
WHE and Cox was our most experienced.
Then
Ginni on his 36 games

Otherwise we had 17 players under 50 games
10 of them were 21 or younger

Not helped when the VFL listed player replacements fall into the same bracket. Different story when your senior listed players are older and vastly more experienced. By contrast, a stand alone club like Werribee run a very experienced side. It’s why they are where they are.

Not helped when the VFL listed player replacements fall into the same bracket. Different story when your senior listed players are older and vastly more experienced. By contrast, a stand alone club like Werribee run a very experienced side. It’s why they are where they are.
Yeah, our most experienced were our captains in Tardrew who was out leading ball winner, and Hustwaite, who reminds me of Adams. Heart and soul player.
Had Lane, who is still young but has improved in the last 12 months.
Longmire, but he is only 19 and inexperienced.
Tomasiello, aged 19 in his first year
Petric, debut, aged 19, still playing nab league

We do have Jetta, who helps. But we have young and inexperienced on ballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back