VFL VFL Round 14 v Swans - Saturday June 24th. 10:05am. @ AIA Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

So you can never have a female commentator of AFL then?

On that note, imho two of the better commentators of AFL football are Gerard Whateley and Jason Bennett yet neither have played at the highest level.

Let’s not forget Commetti, Lane, Roberts, Morphett etc.
Al

On that note, imho two of the better commentators of AFL football are Gerard Whateley and Jason Bennett yet neither have played at the highest level.

Alister Nicholson is also very good. He’s a professional sports commentator who captures the moments very well

That’s not true. He kicked 13 goals in 4 weeks before being promoted to the AFL in his first year. He’s capable of dominating at the lower level, so let’s not pretend it’s a case of him needing better players around him.

Correct. Ginni looked every bit an AFL quality footballer in his first season of VFL back in 2021. Which he went on to prove last year.

This season is a great learning curve for him and we'll get to see how much resilience he has. It's basically on him to go back and demand a recall to the senior side. He adds a POD to the forward half with his goal nous and footy IQ. Unfortunately he lacks foot speed which means guys like Hill, McCreery and now even Harrison will get picked before him, unless he's regularly hitting the scoreboard.

Whenever I read a complaint on here about women commentating- and posters often complain about the woman’s voice - I ponder on the fact that female fans (like me) followed footy for decades before ever hearing a female voice commentating. Not once in decades.

SEN do it well with the female expert commentators. I think a few of them are AFLW players and they're very good to listen to.
Luke Darcy used to commentate the netball. It was painfully obvious he had no idea. Underwood is hard as she doesn't offer anything to the commentary, whereas the female cricket commentators add a lot to the cricket. I'm not a fan of commentators or journos who try to over run the commentary of those who have played the game at the highest level, regardless of gender.

There are s**t commentators, both men and women.

Underwood is terrible though.

Jakob Ryan - 29 disposals. 7 marks. 3 tackles
Trent Bianco - 29 disposals. 9 marks
Trey Ruscoe - 24 disposals
Fin Macrae - 24 disposals. 3 clearances. 3 tackles
Josh Carmichael - 20 disposals. 1 goal. 2 tackes. 2 clearances
Will Kelly - 19 disposals. 9 marks. 5 clearances
Aiden Begg - 18 disposals. 7 clearances. 16 hitouts
Ed Allan - 14 disposals
Jack Ginnivan - 13 disposals. 1 goal. 3 tackles. 3 marks
Reef McInnes - 12 disposals. 2 goals. 2 clearances
Tom Wilson - 11 disposals. 2 goals
Nathan Kreuger - 11 disposals. 6 hitouts. 1 goal
Arlo Draper - 11 disposals. 3 tackles
Oscar Steene - 10 disposals. 4 marks. 3 tackles. 2 clearances. 10 hitouts
Joe Richards - 9 disposals. 1 goal
Cooper Murley - 8 disposals. 1 goal. 3 tackles

Ed Allan - 14 disposals
Will Kelly was OK 👍 hoping he can get some mongrel in him like his dad.
Not a lost cause just yet.

Ed Allan - 14 disposals
Thought Begg was really strong and clever at centre bounces
Would like us to have a few goes at a full mid rotation of Reef, Arlo Ed all in the centre at once

Sounds good in theory, but we're up to our eyeballs in winning the flag this season.

This ain't no development season.
These players could contribute, you need to use the season to develop them. You don’t want to end up in a situation where you need to rely on depth in finals and they’ve had no exposure.

Looking at our forward set up we could use somebody with Krueger’s athleticism, aggression and ability to hit the ball high in a marking contest.

Similarly I would have tried Macrae with Degoey out. If he shows up, you then have the added benefit of playing Degoey and Adams forward more often.

It’s a list of 30 odd that win premierships.

I didn't put my point across properly, my fault, more than happy to have a female commentator in the AFL, Daisy Pearce and Abbey Holmes are excellent commentators. I always thought Pearce was a very strategic footballer, not surprised she's now on a coaching panel. Sarah Olly and Kath Loughnan offer a lot when it comes to the main coverage on Fox Footy.
Underwood is very hard to listen too, constantly trying to sound excited and clever, however, I wouldn't sign the petition going around, I'm happy to mute the coverage and move along.
I hated McAvaney.
As for all the names above, Whateley irritates me, he just goes with the opinion of those around him, he'll chop and change his view regardless of his own views.
Commetti played a lot of WAFL, Lane is very boring and Roberts and Morphett are/were extremely astute commentators.
I dislike commentators if I feel they are inadequate...male or female or whatever in between.

All this talk about commentary, now that we have females in the box, wonder when we trial an AI commentator? Surely play by play wouldn't be too difficult. More accurate, articulate and less biased.

Personally, I think all the worst commentators are former players. Would be happy if we moved away from gifting them roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never hear a male calling Netball.
I'd imagine there would be complaints/comments from females if they did.
I'm not a fan of Kelly.
Like the female cricket commentators though.
Exactly. It's not a plot. It is has been a man's game played by men and boys for 130 years and the commentators have been males. When (and if) Netball Australia opens its game to boys and creates a pathway for the males who love the game I still won't be asking why there are no male commentators. I would understand. Must everything be considered an affront to women if men are not accommodating their every wish?

As it is the AFL has done all in its power to support and promote the women's game. Just once in a blue moon a little "thanks" would be lovely.

Women have been supporting this game with as much passion as the men throughout its history. I would think our game has the most even split of male and female spectators compared to any of the other football codes. The women have loved the product and male voices were never considered a problem before.

I think Sarah Jones on Fox is outstanding at her job. I could listen to her all night.

Except there are male commentators of netball.

The fact that males play AFL is irrelevant to who commentates it when you consider many (I'd prefer more) of even the male commentators did not play at the highest level. It's simply not a requirement, and by my ears should almost be a disqualifier.

As you mention the male/female fan demographic isn’t far from 50%. Doesn't it then make sense to have more female voices in the game?

Exactly. It's not a plot. It is has been a man's game played by men and boys for 130 years and the commentators have been males. When (and if) Netball Australia opens its game to boys and creates a pathway for the males who love the game I still won't be asking why there are no male commentators. I would understand. Must everything be considered an affront to women if men are not accommodating their every wish?

As it is the AFL has done all in its power to support and promote the women's game. Just once in a blue moon a little "thanks" would be lovely.

Women have been supporting this game with as much passion as the men throughout its history. I would think our game has the most even split of male and female spectators compared to any of the other football codes. The women have loved the product and male voices were never considered a problem before.

I think Sarah Jones on Fox is outstanding at her job. I could listen to her all night.
A little “thanks” would be lovely?

You take the cake Domas.

What? Who were these female commentators rooting? Are you sure you folk were watching footy?
Supporting.
Use whatever term you want lol But was watching the replay, and it was very evident their commentating was one sided.

Supporting.
Use whatever term you want lol But was watching the replay, and it was very evident their commentating was one sided
With 1 minute to go the commentators were sounding desperate for an Adelaide goal. Sickening.
These people are not professionals in their field.
All the sweeter I guess

Except there are male commentators of netball.

The fact that males play AFL is irrelevant to who commentates it when you consider many (I'd prefer more) of even the male commentators did not play at the highest level. It's simply not a requirement, and by my ears should almost be a disqualifier.

As you mention the male/female fan demographic isn’t far from 50%. Doesn't it then make sense to have more female voices in the game?
If a woman is good at her job I have no problem. As I said, Sarah Jones is a ripper as far as footy hosts are concerned. I personally find some female voices less appealing in a tight tough contest. I feel like Kelly Underwood tries to hard to sound "ballsy" but there are a number of blokes I don't enjoy. Brayshaw has always grated and BT is wearing thin.

Kelly is shocking and I want hert to be good so badly in order break up the status quo of shitty lazy male commentators they hire. The likes of Luke Darcy and Nathan Brown have literally got a job because they've decided they wanted to be a commentator, not because they have the voice nor the talent to do it. Not to mention the endless parade of useless special comments people like Jobe Watson or "Silk" Burgoyne who instead of doing "special comments" things he's doing "all the comments". Will not shut up.

But unfortunately she is shocking. Some people aren't naturally able to raise their voice, and when she does she stiffens up like shes taking a s**t, it's just no good. And she takes a leaf out of Dwayne Ruseels book where they think its a requirement to come up with some dumb nickname or pun everythime someone kicks a goal. Tonight she went with "smelling like Rosas" She should retire immediately after that as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, vital VFL win. We need to keep this side alive as long as possible, so with the top 10 making it through it gives us a better chance. Wins and percentage important, and deathriding Carlton also relevant.

Ed Allan - 14 disposals

Do we keep Joe Richards and Cooper Murley for next year Jen? Don't see much in either.

By scheduling an inconsistent season at suburban grounds and having parts of the season coincide with finals? By creating a toxic workplace for women? By having a season that is a blip of the men's? By paying women significantly less than their male counterparts to the point where all are working second jobs?

That's a brief, brief overview of why the AFL has not done all in its power to support and promote the women's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back