VFL VFL Round 8 v GWS @ AIA - Sunday May 14 11:05am

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s the role they play. Half forward and outside.
Carmichael is the furthest thing from an outside player I can think of, I feel like we’re talking about different players…

Where do you think he played in the seniors? Was it inside? It’s been a while but i seem to recall him as a high half forward.
He rotated half forward and on-ball as an inside mid. The guy is as contested as they come, and raw. To me he’s everything that Lipinski is not as a player, and that’s not neccessarily a good or bad thing.

He rotated half forward and on-ball as an inside mid. The guy is as contested as they come, and raw. To me he’s everything that Lipinski is not as a player, and that’s not neccessarily a good or bad thing.
We're they're similar though is that they're both not going to get a run as insiders in our midfield, even though it's for different reasons - Carmichael because he doesn't have the composure/awareness to distribute well enough for our stoppage method. And Lippa because he's not sharp enough to do Pendles. For us, they're both likely to play predominantly as hard running outsiders - unless we get hit by injuries.

We're they're similar though is that they're both not going to get a run as insiders in our midfield, even though it's for different reasons - Carmichael because he doesn't have the composure/awareness to distribute well enough for our stoppage method. And Lippa because he's not sharp enough to do Pendles. For us, they're both likely to play predominantly as hard running outsiders - unless we get hit by injuries.
I flat out don’t think JC will make it tbh. He’s very good at state league level, but I’m not sure he’ll ever have the composure or polish required to successfully step up to the next level. There are a few players in our squad with lesser output who’s game says “AFL quality” more than his does to me at this point.

I flat out don’t think JC will make it tbh. He’s very good at state league level, but I’m not sure he’ll ever have the composure or polish required to successfully step up to the next level. There are a few players in our squad with lesser output who’s game says “AFL quality” more than his does to me at this point.
I agree with you in terms of inside mid, unless he develops a lot, but think there's potential as a hard running outsider.

That's a very nice way of saying Lipinksi is too soft.

As for the composure/awareness of Carmichael, I haven't watched him in the two's, but his composure last year, while poor, wasn't any worse than someone like Adams. I would say if your contested game is good enough, it can make up for poor ball use. Taranto is a prime example, an absolute ball butcher, but he's still been fantastic for Richmond and their best player this season, his influence comes from his relentless attack on the footy. No idea if Carmichael is of that caliber as a contested ball winner.

As for the composure/awareness of Carmichael, I haven't watched him in the two's, but his composure last year, while poor, wasn't any worse than someone like Adams. I would say if your contested game is good enough, it can make up for poor ball use. Taranto is a prime example, an absolute ball butcher, but he's still been fantastic for Richmond and their best player this season.
Yeah it was worse than Adams. He just hacked it forward without looking.

As for the composure/awareness of Carmichael, I haven't watched him in the two's, but his composure last year, while poor, wasn't any worse than someone like Adams. I would say if your contested game is good enough, it can make up for poor ball use. Taranto is a prime example, an absolute ball butcher, but he's still been fantastic for Richmond and their best player this season, his influence comes from his relentless attack on the footy. No idea if Carmichael is of that caliber as a contested ball winner.
You need to watch those games again, because Adams looks like he has Pendlebury composure compared to Carmichael.

Carmichael's disposal was sharp when he was obviously told to handball in the 2nd half of a recent VFL game. Certainly looked a better method of giving us first use of a clearance ball than his scrubbers.
Yeah that's the thing, we can read too much into what we've seen and assume it's an irredeemable deficiency.

Eg. A few years ago when Jordy played mid, when he got the ball he either got caught or burst into the clear - it was all solo stuff - he never dished off, but that's changed big time.

Carmichael is a hard runner who can get the footy, with a beautiful kick when he has time and space. Who knows whether he can improve when he doesn't have time and space.

Yeah that's the thing, we can read too much into what we've seen and assume it's an irredeemable deficiency.

Eg. A few years ago when Jordy played mid, when he got the ball he either got caught or burst into the clear - it was all solo stuff - he never dished off, but that's changed big time.

Carmichael is a hard runner who can get the footy, with a beautiful kick when he has time and space. Who knows whether he can improve when he doesn't have time and space.
If Taranto can get a game with his horrible kicking, then JC shouldn't have anything to worry about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Taranto can get a game with his horrible kicking, then JC shouldn't have anything to worry about
JC is a beautiful kick. It's not about kicking for JC. if he wants to be an inside mid, it's about distributing by hand, which is a non-negotiable skillset for an inside mid and something Taranto does well and JC needs to develop or move into a different role.

JC is a beautiful kick. It's not about kicking for JC. if he wants to be an inside mid, it's about distributing by hand, which is a non-negotiable skillset for an inside mid and something Taranto does well and JC needs to develop or move into a different role.
IDK but last week he played well in all areas of his game. Having Mitchell, Adams and even JDG in front of him doesn't help. I think even fly said he was a level above VFL

Are you sure. I recall last year he won us 2 games off his own boot. When you have Adams, Mitchell and JDG in front of you, you have to bide your time. He isn't going to be delisted or not make it, he would be picked up quick smart if he was delisted. Not one of your best calls. Coniglio, TMac, 2MP, HOGAN and a few others you had written off a couple of years ago seem to be still going strong.

IDK but last week he played well in all areas of his game. Having Mitchell, Adams and even JDG in front of him doesn't help. I think even fly said he was a level above VFL
Yeah there just isn't an opening for either Macrae or Carmy to show their wares at the moment. Despite the tall injuries, our mids and flankers have been remarkably fit for the last two years.

I think high half forward would be his current AFL role, but with Lippa hopefully back soon, it's a queue.

I suspect there will be a heavy training block in the back half of the year to prepare for finals and a few will miss some games to up their endurance training - that's when these blokes might get a look in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back