Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said Jen & no offence intended here. Sometimes we put too much emphasis on pre season training form. I think they will use Cameron in the ruck early in the season as they like Cox in the forward line as well. But I bet the likes of Gawn & McInerney & even English would much prefer opposing Cameron to Cox at centre bounces & stoppages. When the real stuff starts we will have a better read on this. I'm also a little excited by Fin & Reef's form, but until they show this in real games for 4 points against desperate opposition it really doesn't mean diddly.

Despite playing under duress Cameron remained our No.1 go to ruck last season for McRae.

Both played 19 games.

Cameron 490 hit outs to Cox 324. Career best average of 25.79 for Cameron.

Cameron 13.11 disposal average to Cox 8.21. Career best average for Cameron.

Cameron 61 tackles to 26 for Cox.

Cox edged him out for marks 69 to 65 and was the clear winner for goals kicking 17.13 to 5.6.

Still it was noted during the season that Cameron's marking and scoring output was the main issue with his form and likely a consequence of him playing through injury.

Cameron in 2021 played 18 games, took 99 marks and kicked 22.9. In 2022 it was 91 marks and 20.8 from 24 games.

His marking as noted by Jen and others has looked back to his best this preseason and with that I expect his influence to only improve on his 2023 output.

He didn’t, Cox overtook him in the finals where he got more tog, attended more ruck contests and won more hit outs.

And why do you think that happened?

Because Cox is the better ruck or Darcy after struggling with injury all year was now running on empty?

Come round 0 Cameron with be our No.1 ruck once again.

He didn’t, Cox overtook him in the finals where he got more tog, attended more ruck contests and won more hit outs.
Coxy's dominance in the last ten minutes of the grand final played a huge role in our victory. I think he convincingly won the last 7 contests with the Big O.

I concur that Cox is a not necessarily a lock in our side this year, despite his solid finals output.

He may run out there round zero, but it’s very easily to see the probability he may be pushed out in that spot by younger talls, especially if Darcy Cameron starts this season as sh*t hot as he’s been training.

If Teakle signs with our VFL team, I would like to see him played at full back or centre Half back- no guarantee that he will be picked up in the MSD, but would be interested to see if he is good enough.

I think Steene and Begg would be authentic chances to get a run in the AFL at some stage in 2024.

Cameron will be number one ruck with Cox to be employed forward to trouble opposition defences with his height and reach.

Agree with the commentary around Harvey Harrison- he looks a tad leaner and is very quick over the ground- he has a genuine turn of pace and could be a dangerous forward or Sub.

I'm watching the replay, and how Leppa mentions how much work Lippa has done with mccartney on the contested part of his game after his shoulders being affected last year which didn't help.
Also mentioned how he'll likely be used on the inside midfield and not just HF/transition.

They rate him very highly on the things he does.

I'm watching the replay, and how Leppa mentions how much work Lippa has done with mccartney on the contested part of his game after his shoulders being affected last year which didn't help.
Also mentioned how he'll likely be used on the inside midfield and not just HF/transition.

They rate him very highly on the things he does.
I like Mcartney being part of the coaching set up.
When Bomber was coaching Geelong, one of the parents of the younger draftees couldn‘t speak highly enough of him. He was their go to guy and he gave them everything they needed. Bomber spent his time with the senior players while the others were developing under Mcartney.

edit: so many spelling errors! 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Cox kicked 17 goals last year. Fair effort.
Massive in the GF in crucial moments.
I like both in the team.

The rest of the side being manic runners with huge tanks.

If you only play one ruckman you're setting yourself up for disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just adding my 2 cent on the Mason Cox chat.

32 years old and plays a crucial part in our season. I don’t think Cameron would’ve out-tapped Big O 5 minutes to go in the Grand Final from that De Goey goal.

No McStay now and it’s mainly up to the Cox and Cameron Duo again but there are others I’m sure no doubt will be given a go. Freddy, Begg etc.

Cox is a year older now and on the wrong side of 30 so I think (hope) Fly will manage him throughout the home and away season. (The same for Tom Mitchell)

Just finished wathcing the replay and as an aside to the players, how good is Jason Bennett? It was a nice change to hear someone commentate who actually displays a bit of professionalism. Obviously does lots of homework. Even if its only an intra-club hit out. I often wonder why he is stuck doing VFL games when he is so much better than most of the guys we are forced to listen too. IMO

Just finished wathcing the replay and as an aside to the players, how good is Jason Bennett? It was a nice change to hear someone commentate who actually displays a bit of professionalism. Obviously does lots of homework. Even if its only an intra-club hit out. I often wonder why he is stuck doing VFL games when he is so much better than most of the guys we are forced to listen too. IMO
He does some afl games too the last couple years. I think he does enjoy VFL games. understands the system and people's journeys. But he def should be involved with more AFL games.

I loved hearing him speak to Leppa, Bolton & Schultz too. Got some great information out of those chats.

He does some afl games too the last couple years. I think he does enjoy VFL games. understands the system and people's journeys. But he def should be involved with more AFL games.
no doubt. He is the same when he does VFL, or AFLW. Much rather listen to him than the likes of BT

He should take over from BT.

When the games meant something last year, Cameron got ragdolled by the likes of Gawn etc. Cox gave them a lot more problems because of his height & he was harder to move aside. Don't write off Cox yet. Take you back to 5 minutes left in the GF. Cox jumps right over McInerney & lays it down to Naicos. Cameron can't jump over those guys. Sometimes we are prone to putting too much emphasis on pre seasons. That has been multiplied this year for some reason. There is definitely a place for Cameron in our team. But Cox for me is still the go to ruckman in our side.

Up until he did his knee last year Cameron was statistically a top 5 ruck in the comp iirc. If he’s regained that form again he’s definitely ahead of Cox.

In the Cox Cameron debate I cant see any reason they will not continue as they are unless age catches up with Mason. What is exciting is if it was injury accounting for Camerons dip in marking and goal scoring last year. If we get them back to both being goal scoring ruckment its a unique duo and they may be an even better combo in 24.

Cameron I think will remain doing the biggest part of the ruck role but Cox will do much more than most 2nd strings and is arguably a better ruck. They probably maintain the 75%, 65% game time figures between them. Last 2 seasons, Flys years, they have averaged 1.2 goals per game between them and thats outstanding. I doubt any other ruck combo gets near that. They are unique in that regard as rucks as both are competent contested marks inside 50 and good set shots for goal.

They will be a great pairing in 2024

I just watched the replay the one who looked quite good of the younger guys who has floated a bit under the radar was Harvey Harrison he hit the scoreboard used it well and had a fair bit of the ball 👍.
You my friend, have an astute eye. Not been talked about much but he looked like a menace out there. I think he's one who looks to have really found the next gear

In the Cox Cameron debate I cant see any reason they will not continue as they are unless age catches up with Mason. What is exciting is if it was injury accounting for Camerons dip in marking and goal scoring last year. If we get them back to both being goal scoring ruckment its a unique duo and they may be an even better combo in 24.

Cameron I think will remain doing the biggest part of the ruck role but Cox will do much more than most 2nd strings and is arguably a better ruck. They probably maintain the 75%, 65% game time figures between them. Last 2 seasons, Flys years, they have averaged 1.2 goals per game between them and thats outstanding. I doubt any other ruck combo gets near that. They are unique in that regard as rucks as both are competent contested marks inside 50 and good set shots for goal.

They will be a great pairing in 2024
It also looks like Cameron has rediscovered his strong marking down the line, if so, that will be invaluable

Up until he did his knee last year Cameron was statistically a top 5 ruck in the comp iirc. If he’s regained that form again he’s definitely ahead of Cox.
He is ahead in your opinion & not in mine. That's opinions in a nutshell.

He is ahead in your opinion & not in mine. That's opinions in a nutshell.
Yes ok if he’s at a level where he’s statistically a top 5 ruck in the comp again he is ahead in my (and likely everyone else’s) opinion, except yours. Happy now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back