Preview Match Sim v North @ AIA - Wed Feb 21st. 10am. 4x25min

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is Shooter? I thought we were going to call Schultz Schultz or sarge or something Hogan's Heroish. Or has the PC brigade got involved and decided that a WW2 prison camp figure is too risqué in the current political climate because it might prize from survivor's minds unpleasant memories of internment, starvation and cruelty? Shooter doesn't even seem to have that many shots on goal compared to say Bobby Hill. What's in a name, I ask?

Kiddies don’t usually give each other nicknames based on pop culture references that are over fifty years old.

That was one game and not something of which I would want to make a habit. Murphy would be a huge loss and to pretend otherwise is not something I would be advising posters to do. Forget the 'while Murphy is out' bit. If he doesn't line up week one, I'd imagine it's unlikely that he will again. He will do what Brayshaw did today and retire, and we will all be forced to apologise to kappa for not trusting his insight into the Murphy situation.
Kappa has diagnosed Murphy with CTE and banned him from the pub.

My biggest question for team after this game is how many mids are we going to play?

There’s one or two spot available for WHE, Markov and Noble depending on how many mids like Pendlebury, Naicos and Crisp we play back.

And on the other side of the field how many small forwards are we going play?
Three or four? Are we going to drop one to fit Macrae, Sullivan or Bytel in? Or are we’re going to go with four small forwards. If it’s the former I think McCreery might be in trouble as Schultz can do every he can do but better and McCreery hasn’t been convincing in his midfield time either to put his hand up as a genuine mid option atm.

I also didn’t think Frampton was that bad. Hard to judge anything he defensively given there was no pressure all game whilst our whole defensive structure relies on that but I thought Frampton looked more like the player we were sold when he was at Adelaide. Looked more confident going for intercept marks and looked more confident ball in hand as opposed to looking like Prestigiacomo last season when played at full back.

My biggest question for team after this game is how many mids are we going to play?

There’s one or two spot available for WHE, Markov and Noble depending on how many mids like Pendlebury, Naicos and Crisp we play back.

Three or four? Are we going to drop one to fit Macrae, Sullivan or Bytel in? Or are we’re going to go with four small forwards. If it’s the former I think McCreery might be in trouble as Schultz can do every he can do but better and McCreery hasn’t been convincing in his midfield time either to put his hand up as a genuine mid option atm.

I also didn’t think Frampton was that bad. Hard to judge anything he defensively given there was no pressure all game whilst our whole defensive structure relies on that but I thought Frampton looked more like the player we were sold when he was at Adelaide. Looked more confident going for intercept marks and looked more confident ball in hand as opposed to looking like Prestigiacomo last season when played at full back.
McCreery is a lock. None of the fringe mids are keeping him out.

Frampton probably lines up round 1 assuming Murph not in unless Dean goes really well against Richmond. Further into season I do hope Dean comes on and settles into AFL. We know Frampton is fringe and wont go beyond that so hopefully Dean passes him

Frampton probably lines up round 1 assuming Murph not in unless Dean goes really well against Richmond. Further into season I do hope Dean comes on and settles into AFL. We know Frampton is fringe and wont go beyond that so hopefully Dean passes him
If we could harness Beau's last quarter of Anzac Day as the norm we'd be near on unbeatable. He just needs the consistency and confidence

I think Frampton gets condemned unfairly at times.
I think he has shown that when he has to play a utility role esp ruck, he’s reasonably effective.
It’s when he plays a positional role, he’s not first pick.
In my eyes, still useful backup…
Agree. He was good for 3/4 of the GF and was vital when Cox and Cameron were out last year. Being asked to plug holes all over the ground hasn't helped him find any form and confidence. Hes limited, but if Murph or Howey go down he's shown in Adelaide he can play that role plus do it on big blokes

Based on the GF side, I'd make the following changes:
  • Frampton out for Kreuger - Kreuger can do just about everything that Frampton can (other than stay fit) - but better
  • Schultz for Ginnivan - no explanation required
  • Macrae for Murphy - with Crisp spending more time in the backline

A couple of years ago Tyler Brown kept him out so I’m not convinced he’s safe from McRae wanting another mid rotation.

We also have three small forwards ahead of him this year and I’m not convinced we’ll go in with four every game.

I don’t see him as a lock until he unless he turns his midfield form around against Richmond.

I could be wrong and and we will go in with four small forwards or maybe they will be willing to persist with a few poor performances in the midfield from McCreery until he’s up to speed every match but it has a similar feeling of the Ginnivan and Hill will play together last season debate.

I also don’t share you sentiment Frampton but it’s old ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCreery had a far more memorable GF than Frampton. I don't see him falling out of the side in a hurry. He has some big moments in games. I used to write him off in the first half but learned better. Schultz will also play.

A couple of years ago Tyler Brown kept him out so I’m not convinced he’s safe from McRae wanting another mid rotation.

We also have three small forwards ahead of him this year and I’m not convinced we’ll go in with four every game.

I don’t see him as a lock until he unless he turns his midfield form around against Richmond.

I could be wrong and and we will go in with four small forwards or maybe they will be willing to persist with a few poor performances in the midfield from McCreery until he’s up to speed every match but it has a similar feeling of the Ginnivan and Hill will play together last season debate.

I also don’t share you sentiment Frampton but it’s old ground.
Beau has played about 45 games straight. A 22yo who is still developing. Not going anywhere. For now anyway. Injuries will no doubt play a role before round zero.

McCreery had a far more memorable GF than Frampton. I don't see him falling out of the side in a hurry. He has some big moments in games. I used to write him off in the first half but learned better. Schultz will also play.
I’m not writing him off, McCreery is still a good play that has his strengths just don’t agree he’s an absolute lock.

Frampton will also be moving to a different position so his GF performance is hardly relevant.

True enough - if Beau gets to Noble's games with a bunch of 1v1 losses(I was only aware of this JN flaw after it was reported) then he might be in strife.
I thought Noble’s one on one stat was negligible but it doesn’t take much to fall out of side with lots of competition. I assume a different KPI will be the focus on McCreery though.

I thought Noble’s one on one stat was negligible but it doesn’t take much to fall out of side with lots of competition. I assume a different KPI will be the focus on McCreery though.
Maybe that KPI is defensive pressure? You know, the one for which he has already twice been given the Gavin Brown Award? That might give you an idea of where he is currently positioned with selectors.

Beau has played about 45 games straight. A 22yo who is still developing. Not going anywhere. For now anyway. Injuries might play a role before round zero.
Fixed that for you. Round 0 is rapidly approaching so the odds of injury before the season starts are now significantly lower. There’s a pretty reasonable chance we retain our current list health over the next few weeks.

Based on the GF side, I'd make the following changes:
  • Frampton out for Kreuger - Kreuger can do just about everything that Frampton can (other than stay fit) - but better
  • Schultz for Ginnivan - no explanation required
  • Macrae for Murphy - with Crisp spending more time in the backline
I’m not a fan of going in with just Howe and Moore as a key defenders. Leaves us short to being with and also pretty screwed if one gets an injury. It worked against Brisbane but they only play with two key forwards, they don’t have an extra ruck or third tall and Hipwood is barely imposing as a tall option.

And as much as I like Kreuger I’d still have Johnson ahead. I think with Ash showing more consistency in the aerial contest and more fight when it gets ground level it will be enough for him get the nod.

I’d go:
Johnson for Murphy, Frampton back.
Lipinski in the 22, Crisp to half back and Markov or McCreery to the sub with the other out.
Macrae or Sullivan in for whoever’s out of McCreery or Markov.
Schultz for Ginnivan.

A lot can change till now and the start of the season though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back