Review AAMI Community Series: Collingwood v Richmond - Tuesday Feb 27 @ 6:40pm. Ikon Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean reads the game well and was able to be proactive in his attack on the ball. My only query would be how he would go against a very tall forward with the ball dropping on their heads - Lynch for instance, the very first scalp Frampton claimed. I am surprised Dean didn't spend more of his time in the side lines in the gym. However, I will reserve judgement till I see more of him.

He was better than I expected him to be today. My preconceived view was that he was going to be embarrassedly ordinary, but he proved a pleasant surprise.
Thought he was average tbh. Got a bit later in the game when the heat was off but I’m hoping he gets some Presti on.

It was just unfortunate. First ive time ive seen him do a hammy. Generally its shoulder issues.
The pace he was going, and then his movements, was just bad luck with the way it happened.

Don't think we can keep blaming luck with Krueger. Been regularly injured for 5 years now with small patches of games inbetween.

Don't think we can keep blaming luck with Krueger. Been regularly injured for 5 years now with small patches of games inbetween.
He has a lot of bad luck lol Generally its him being reckless. This time was a different sort of bad luck.. or just one of those footy things.

Johnson is 26 and is 50/50 on whether he starts the year in the VFL.

Lets be real here. He has a few magic moments but also a lot of bad ones, and doesn't impact many contests
He is not playing a role that he would suit though he is playing as the main target sometimes I feel.

The big names did what they normally do.

WHE in defence and Lippa with a healthy shoulder after a preseason were revelations.

Reef is better defensively than AJ, I wouldn't be giving up on the lad. There might be room for both, but AJ gets the nod for round 0 if there is only room for 1.

Macrae is also one to be persisted with and developed.

Cox will be very important again this year.

Dean was the feel-good story of the game for me. Slots right in.

I switched off at three quarter time due to lack of investment into a practice game and work commitments. The lasting impression of 15 minutes of footy was that I understand all the hype around Dean. First time I saw him play. He has presence and could be a really good KPD at afl level.

Schultz is going to be a very good player.for us too.

Last edited:
Dean was great, but some context is needed.
He came on early third and tigers mids were already cooked by then.
He was fresh and others had already spent an hour in 30+ heat.

Its pleasing he looked comfortable and at the level.
i would have liked to see how he went when the tigers were using all their gas in the first 30 mins.
Gut feel says he would have done ok.
But the pace of that game was VFL level by the time he came on.

Having said that, very comfortable with him coming in to play the second tall role.
Think Frampton gets the nod simply because he offers more in game flexibility.

But if we're going to be at the pointy end....Dean needs to push someone out by years end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Framptons role in the backline is underrated over the last 12 months. He has hardly let us down and had some good moments.
He looked like he read the play well last night and played a 3rd man up role really well a few times.
He only lost his spot in the backline last year because Darcy, Howe and Murph were such a good unit. Form wasn’t the issue.

I think Framptons role in the backline is underrated over the last 12 months. He has hardly let us down and had some good moments.
He looked like he read the play well last night and played a 3rd man up role really well a few times.
He only lost his spot in the backline last year because Darcy, Howe and Murph were such a good unit. Form wasn’t the issue.
Me too. I loved the last goal when they were all punching on and moved away from the goal square and Billy went bang and bounced a goal through an empty goal square. Prior to him being injured in the first half of the season, he was more than holding his spot in defence. After his injury he was used all over the place and did it with style

It was just unfortunate. First ive time ive seen him do a hammy. Generally its shoulder issues.
The pace he was going, and then his movements, was just bad luck with the way it happened.

It makes you think that some players, talent aside, just aren't built mechanically to play this game. Injuries are just continually going to happen to them no matter what...it's quite sad actually 😞

I really liked Dean's performance when he came on. 8 marks for his TOG was really impressive. I thought he was reading the play beautifully.
If he can stay fit...🙏🙏🙏...then he is going to be a very good player. I get Harris Andrews vibes from him. If he can be any where near Andrews, then we have done superbly....

With foot issues they probably don't want to much weight on him.

Same happened to Scharenberg, turned into a stick after his foot issues
I am not generally fond of midg*ts or stick figures. Not as AFL players. There might be a spot for such people in society, but not on an AFL list. We now have two challenged senior players on our list - 3 if Richards is added to the mix. So far so good, but we need to be discerning, ensuring that anything we draft under 180cm is quality goods, and if it's stick and bone, just leave it alone.

Last edited:
Ash Johnson could be one of the best 3rd talks in the game hopefully you can get some kpp forwards around him.

Ash has all the ability and l'm a huge fan, but just doesn't have the work rate at the moment. He has all the athletic ability and he should be able to run his opponents around, but he just doesn't do that, and l want to see him be more active inside the F50....

Ash Johnson could be one of the best 3rd talks in the game hopefully you can get some kpp forwards around him.
How many teams play a third tall who is predominately mark and kick - unless they're number 2 ruck? My view is that he either makes it as one of our two KPP, or he stays on the fringe of the team.

JFN is a no for me. He needs to force markov or WHE out and I can’t see that happening. But he played well.

One thing I noticed about Noble more than I had in the past is that he consistently ignores the shorter safer option and opts to just bomb long to a contest. Almost all the time.

At the time he was dropped I was genuinely shocked, but the more I've watched older games and seeing how he's played this pre-season, I'm starting to see why he lost his spot.

On Reef v Ash I think Ash’s work to work up the field and provide a contest is being underrated. Don’t think Ash got out marked once and didn’t get pushed under the ball like he did in previous years.

Reef looked dangerous deep when he came on and also provided a contest one on one but I’m yet to see him be effective at jumping into pack.

Thought he was average tbh. Got a bit later in the game when the heat was off but I’m hoping he gets some Presti on.

First game against AFL opposition and only 3rd game total since arriving at the club 2 years ago.

Can probably cut him a little bit of slack lol

On Reef v Ash I think Ash’s work to work up the field and provide a contest is being underrated. Don’t think Ash got out marked once and didn’t get pushed under the ball like he did in previous years.

Reef looked dangerous deep when he came on and also provided a contest one on one but I’m yet to see him be effective at jumping into pack.
Yeah, I'd have AJ ahead for a tall target role and Reef ahead as a general forward. Reef might need one of Elliott, Schultz, Bobby or McCreery to be injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back