Review AAMI Community Series: Collingwood v Richmond - Tuesday Feb 27 @ 6:40pm. Ikon Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we assume that Pendlebury and Howe will be right for round 0 then the starting 26 of last night becomes 28 and 5 players need to be culled.

Johnson may well find himself not even in the side and we look to use Cox/Cameron up forward to assist Mihocek and we back them and our fleet of smalls.

The selection squeeze starts now.

One thing I noticed about Noble more than I had in the past is that he consistently ignores the shorter safer option and opts to just bomb long to a contest. Almost all the time.

At the time he was dropped I was genuinely shocked, but the more I've watched older games and seeing how he's played this pre-season, I'm starting to see why he lost his spot.
His strength is also a weakness. Run and carry is exactly how we like to play. Reckon he played pretty well though but its just a numbers game. Only 23 players can get selected.

If we assume that Pendlebury and Howe will be right for round 0 then the starting 26 of last night becomes 28 and 5 players need to be culled.

Johnson may well find himself not even in the side and we look to use Cox/Cameron up forward to assist Mihocek and we back them and our fleet of smalls.

The selection squeeze starts now.

Based purely on last night:

• Noble out, Howe in
  • HH out
  • Pendles in, Reef out (let AJ fight to keep that spot early on)
  • Frampton out

Not sure on the 5th out. I'd really prefer Fin is given a chance to show what he's got. Maybe we rest Mitchell given his rolled ankle?

Dean reads the game well and was able to be proactive in his attack on the ball. My only query would be how he would go against a very tall forward with the ball dropping on their heads - Lynch for instance, the very first scalp Frampton claimed. I am surprised Dean didn't spend more of his time in the side lines in the gym. However, I will reserve judgement till I see more of him.

He was better than I expected him to be today. My preconceived view was that he was going to be embarrassedly ordinary, but he proved a pleasant surprise.
Why?

We do and we got him from you, Ollie Henry.
Jezza makes you guys a bit different in that he plays as a flanker as well as a tall, as he regularly stays down or squirts into space when there's someone else there to compete in the air. I think last year, Ollie was the one playing taller - usually flying - at least in the games I saw of yours (not many). Ollie should develop into more of a Jezza style than a bloke who routinely competes in the air as his go to.

Last edited:
So glad Dean proved a lot of the doubters wrong tonight.

Shoota always looks dangerous. Fin did well in his 1qtr & a half. JFN tried his heart out all night. Lippa was exceptional.

The final 30 seconds of the match was hilarious. Big Bill from the carpark and Coxy getting the last laugh again. Tigers must loathe him.

* and can't forget Wilba. He just keeps on doing all the right stuff without getting any attention.

Last edited:
If he actually plays against real opposition in an actual game, he's going to lose the innocence he has acquired through 2 years of total inactivity on the list. It's been so long since he played any kind of football that we have forgotten, if we ever knew, well me anyway, what he is actually capable of producing on the field.

I managed to miss spotting him altogether in both the practice games. I almost prefer not having seen him play, because until he proves otherwise, he is either a name on the list who offers hope or a house of cards about to collapse. There's a mystery about him that will be lost once he is seen in action or inaction.

He was excellent vs Richmond and stood out for us as one of our best players for the game imo.

Was pleasantly surprised imo looks a better defender and more versatile as a defender then Frampton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean was great, but some context is needed.
He came on early third and tigers mids were already cooked by then.
He was fresh and others had already spent an hour in 30+ heat.

Its pleasing he looked comfortable and at the level.
i would have liked to see how he went when the tigers were using all their gas in the first 30 mins.
Gut feel says he would have done ok.
But the pace of that game was VFL level by the time he came on.

This same way of thinking is how I'm feeling about Macrae's performance. I still don't know how he fits in the same team as Tom Mitchell but last night at the very least showed (or further confirmed) he's a legitimate sub option.

Unfortunately players need to be rotated through the sub to keep their playing time up, otherwise I'd give it to him more often than not.

So glad Dean proved a lot of the doubters wrong tonight.

Shoota always looks dangerous. Fin did well in his 1qtr & a half. JFN tried his heart out all night. Lippa was exceptional.

The final 30 seconds of the match was hilarious. Big Bill from the carpark and Coxy getting the last laugh again. Tigers must loathe him.

Funnily enough I'm not even sure Dean has "doubters" we just haven't seen him. The world's his oyster if he can get a continued run at developing into the AFL system.

Funnily enough I'm not even sure Dean has "doubters" we just haven't seen him. The world's his oyster if he can get a continued run at developing into the AFL system.
There were a few of the regular negative nancies on here questioning his worth & potential.

Disagree on Checkers, he has already proved himself. Needs to protect himself from finals, he’s a veteran.

Interesting perspective on AJ, never thought of incentivising him that way. Given there is no real stand out, I could swallow that approach.

On Reef I get a similar sense, dumb footballers are better off in the backline. He could be a real weapon, don’t know much about his field kicking though.

Agree with the rest.

Is Krueger injured again?!
How have you come to the conclusion Reef is a dumb footballer?

if fairness, he's done nothing since he's been there. Cost a list on the way down 2 first round picks - well done Dimma.

Richmond had a heap of decent draft picks after they won their flags, I thought we were in real trouble. But they sold the farm to have another crack, and it hasn’t panned out

This same way of thinking is how I'm feeling about Macrae's performance. I still don't know how he fits in the same team as Tom Mitchell but last night at the very least showed (or further confirmed) he's a legitimate sub option.

Unfortunately players need to be rotated through the sub to keep their playing time up, otherwise I'd give it to him more often than not.
We succesfully managed to fit adams and Mitchell in the same team for the bulk of 2023. I don’t think that’s an issue to have two inside mids in a team. Albeit admittedly adams did spend a fair bit of time forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back