Review AAMI Community Series: Collingwood v Richmond - Tuesday Feb 27 @ 6:40pm. Ikon Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

We should get the team tomorrow. But here are the rules.

Squad of 30.
26 playing, 4 EMG.

The League has also confirmed the modified rules for the Community Series, which include:

• Four quarters of 20 mins plus time on (as per AFL Premiership Season)
  • Squad of 30 players, eight interchange and four emergencies. Minimum of four players on the interchange bench during the match at any time
  • No interchange cap
  • Full panel of umpires appointed by the AFL

Thoughts on the 30?

The remaining players will play in the VFL practice game @ 3pm.

Have sometimes wondered why the AFL only ever nominated a single player as sub.
You could have a selection of three to bring one on as required to cover the respective injury.
Obviously it’d impact vfl availability.

Shame the AFL appoints the umpires.

Squad of 30.
26 playing, 4 EMG.

Thoughts on the 30?

Depends if Murphy puts his hand up. Assuming no Murphy and no injuries. I'd go with 21 from the GF, plus Macrae, Sullivan, Reef, Noble, Johnson for the 26. Ryan, Allan, Kreuger and Bytel as the emergencies. If Murphy plays, I'd leave Frampton out of the 26.

Depends if Murphy puts his hand up. Assuming no Murphy and no injuries. I'd go with 21 from the GF, plus Macrae, Sullivan, Reef, Noble, Johnson for the 26. Ryan, Allan, Kreuger and Bytel as the emergencies. If Murphy plays, I'd leave Frampton out of the 26.
Murphy wont play.
It was mentioned last week he wasn't playing any of the practice games, and even if he said he wanted to, it would be silly. Hasn't been in contact work in a month. I reckon he misses the first few weeks of the season at least.

I think we need to start playing closer to our strongest line up. We need to build chemistry and find replacements for Adam’s, McStay and Murphy.

Finn and the new breed of mids need to spend some time getting to know the rucks, and the running patterns for transition…we’ll struggle to get clearances if they don’t start working together. Would love to see Finn in the guts all day with rotations of Mitchell, Degoey and Crisp. Play the best rucks as well. If we get on top of them bring in Steene for a run.

Down back we need to give Dean some time with Moore and Howe.

Up forward my preference is to have Krueger as the second tall with Mihocek…if he can stay fit I think we are a better side.

Squad of 30.
26 playing, 4 EMG.

Thoughts on the 30?

Sorry Jen2310 did I read that right did you mean there’s a 3pm VFL game do the AFL team play after that 6:40 I think it was?

P.S I absolutely love the work you do on this site it’s so in depth and on point I appreciate all the footage you provide to us all so just a massive thank you for the hard work you put in it is very much appreciated it’s a part of my weekly ritual haha keep up the fantastic work Jen2310 huge respect for you thanks again

Sorry Jen2310 did I read that right did you mean there’s a 3pm VFL game do the AFL team play after that 6:40 I think it was?

P.S I absolutely love the work you do on this site it’s so in depth and on point I appreciate all the footage you provide to us all so just a massive thank you for the hard work you put in it is very much appreciated it’s a part of my weekly ritual haha keep up the fantastic work Jen2310 huge respect for you thanks again

Yes that’s right. There is a vfl practice game at 3 pm punt road prior to the afl game at ikon park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoota?

I would go with the 21 remaining GF players as well. So no Murphy or Ginnivan. My extra 5 would be Shoota, Macrae, Reef, Johnson and Dean.

For round 0 providing no injuries I would go with one of:
Either Johnson or Reef
Either Dean or Frampton (although both could miss and Howe or Maynard play tall)

One of Macrae, Lipinski, WHE, Markov, McCreery will have to miss and another would have to be the sub.

I would go with the 21 remaining GF players as well. So no Murphy or Ginnivan. My extra 5 would be Shoota, Macrae, Reef, Johnson and Dean.

For round 0 providing no injuries I would go with one of:
Either Johnson or Reef
Either Dean or Frampton (although both could miss and Howe or Maynard play tall)

One of Macrae, Lipinski, WHE, Markov, McCreery will have to miss and another would have to be the sub.
I forgot Schultz. I'd be pretty similar, but I'm not convinced by Frampton and doubt Dean has done enough since his return, so I'd just go with Moore and Howe with Maynard as the aerial defence. We went 9 from 10 last year with only Moore, Murphy and Maynard so I wouldn't be worried about not having that 3rd bloke recognised as a tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t we put Murphy in cotton wool for at least until mid-season? He can do all the non-physical training sessions, but give him every opportunity to recover and regain some confidence. I think Dean can step into his role.

I forgot Schultz. I'd be pretty similar, but I'm not convinced by Frampton and doubt Dean has done enough since his return, so I'd just go with Moore and Howe with Maynard as the aerial defence. We went 9 from 10 last year with only Moore, Murphy and Maynard so I wouldn't be worried about not having that 3rd bloke recognised as a tall.
Both Maynard and Howe would be giving away 5cm to Cadman and Hogan. It's not ideal. I'd rather Howe having a sweeper role and just put Dean in as the Presti-see-ball-smash-ball role. Great opportunity for him - even if somewhat terrifying, as the GWS forward line will be just as potent with their small forwards as their talls, as will their midfielders.

I think we’re likely to see Dean as well for another option if Murphy isn’t just sitting out pre-season matches as a precaution. I’d leave Noble out in that case because I don’t think there’s a spot for him unlike the others you named who could all be going head to head with each other for spots.

Why wouldn’t we put Murphy in cotton wool for at least until mid-season? He can do all the non-physical training sessions, but give him every opportunity to recover and regain some confidence. I think Dean can step into his role.
In that scenario how does that lessen his chances of picking up a career ending head knock? The only potential change it creates is denying us access to an MSD selection.

Why? There is nothing physically wrong with him. His problem is a fear of permanent repercussions from a potential knock. He either plays or he doesn't, and if it's the latter, then why keep him on the list and have him attend training to run and not much else? I'm quite OK with him sitting out the preseason matches but if he's on the sidelines round 1, then the club needs to explain why he is still taking up a spot. I don't like him going from the bravest guy on the list to what we are getting from him at the moment.

AAMI Community Series/Charity Shield
Collingwood v Richmond
Ikon Park, Wurundjeri
6.40pm

COLLINGWOOD V RICHMOND
BDarcy MooreBrayden MaynardOleg Markov
HBBilly FramptonIsaac QuaynorNick Daicos
CBobby HillJordan De GoeyJosh Daicos
HFTom MitchellDarcy CameronLachie Schultz
FWill Hoskin-ElliottJamie ElliottBrody Mihocek
RMason CoxSteele SidebottomPatrick Lipinksi
INTJohn NobleFinlay MacraeJack Crisp
Reef McInnesBeau McCreeryHarvey Harrison
Ash JohnsonCharlie Dean
EMGNathan KreugerJakob RyanJoe Richards
Lachie Sullivan

Sitting out the game will be Vice Captain Jeremy Howe and Club games record holder, Scott Pendlebury. Howe sustained a calf cork during training last week, while Pendlebury received a knock to the knee at training yesterday. Both players are set to be available for Opening Round.

Why? There is nothing physically wrong with him. His problem is a fear of permanent repercussions from a potential knock. He either plays or he doesn't, and if it's the latter, then why keep him on the list and have him attend training to run and not much else? I'm quite OK with him sitting out the preseason matches but if he's on the sidelines round 1, then the club needs to explain why he is still taking up a spot. I don't like him going from the bravest guy on the list to what we are getting from him at the moment.

Yeah the Murphy situation confuses me too at this point

Like…he’s not going to go the next 5-10 seasons without getting one more heard knock. So if it really is one more and he’s done, then you’d think he’d just either retire now or throw caution to the wind and play?

He’s going to suffer another head knock at some stage. That’s just inevitable. So either roll the dice with your health and play, or retire as a healthy premiership player.

Sitting out the game will be Vice Captain Jeremy Howe and Club games record holder, Scott Pendlebury. Howe sustained a calf cork during training last week, while Pendlebury received a knock to the knee at training yesterday. Both players are set to be available for Opening Round.
I kind of felt that was gonna happen due to their age though. Also kind of suspected the coaching staff had HH and Ryan ahead of Allan at this point in time but Joe Richards? now thats a surprise lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back