Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the club is going to wait until the deadline of the 19th (bitter end) before announcing a decision.

FWIW the last bloke invited to train in Sullivan looks to have jumped to the front of the queue to be signed.

Well I hope that's true as it appears he's already very unlucky not to be on an AFL list due to his VFL performances and going by the comment the other day from someone who knows him he appears to be a driven individual and one who has risen to the next level every time he's been afforded that opportunity.

I hope we give him his first one on an AFL list and he and we can make the 17 other clubs rue not doing the same.

Take it from me. Lippa will not last long with a couple of these guys banging at the door.
It's not that I don't like him.

Keep giving me all the dislikes you want. Just watch.
Lippa is a premiership player and I love him. Unfortunately he will be one of the first to make way for a De Mattia or Edward. Lots of others knocking at that door.
Coach says Lippa is the best kick I50 - that offers huge benefits to the team.
So I cant agree.

Once 2 new players come into the best 23. Lippa will be one of the first to go. Sadly but this is how it is.
No he won't. You don't play like that and find yourself dropped. At risk are players like WHE. Versatile player, but also a player that needs to lift to hold his spot.

Lipinski, Sullivan and Macrae all played very well and that means others will have to step up or find themselves in the VFL, irrespective of experience. There will be no passengers this year.

Coach says Lippa is the best kick I50 - that offers huge benefits to the team.
So I cant agree.
Lippa also seems to know his role and what's required of him very well. In most of our clutch games, you'll notice he's involved in a lot of chains. He knows his stuff

John Noble's return to the senior line-up would seem unlikely. With Macrae, Lipinski and Sullivan (if signed) all better options, then he'll struggle to play on the wings. HB not really an option with the depth available.

Firstly, Lippa was great yesterday. If he keeps that up he'll play a lot this year.

However, last year pace was a concern, as was decision making and he wasn't sticking tackles as would be expected consistently.

I'd agree with FJ that change is not only natural, but required when you get to the top. Talent needs to be refreshed.

If there are players knocking down the door, reputations cannot supercede performance.

I see WHE, Titch, Howe, Markov and Lippa all at risk of losing some playing time if the next wave steps up.

Perhaps it would just be to manage their workloads throughout the year, and they'd all still be picked for finals.

However, realistically, if Fin, Allan, DeMattia etc step up change will be inevitable at some point.

The best clubs know that sustained success is only achievable by continually refreshing the list.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we'll have some retirements in the next few years. We're the oldest list apparently, but that's partly because our veterans are uber-veterans. I don't have the list exactly but: Mitchell, Howe, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, Mihocek -- all getting on.

My hope is they all have some time off in the next year or so, while others get some game time. Though that's unlikely, given last year's selection policy.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we'll have some retirements in the next few years. We're the oldest list apparently, but that's partly because our veterans are uber-veterans. I don't have the list exactly but: Mitchell, Howe, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, Mihocek -- all getting on.

My hope is they all have some time off in the next year or so, while others get some game time. Though that's unlikely, given last year's selection policy.
Add Elliott WHE and Cox to the over 30 list.

John Noble's return to the senior line-up would seem unlikely. With Macrae, Lipinski and Sullivan (if signed) all better options, then he'll struggle to play on the wings. HB not really an option with the depth available.
He and Markov were close to level pegging end of last year so thats his obvious chance. Markov was great last year but is a 20-23 players and if he drops off JFN can replace him.

Interesting. Bytel was playing on our strongest accroding to the what the club released on their website. If the strongest is Ed Allan ... maybe he won't be signed. Hustwaite probably won't be signed now. Could probably warrant a spot at a cellar dwellar yet to stock up on midfielders like West Coast. Teakle now looks like he's probably done enough to win a deal. Send Begg down back for KPP cover. Teakle becomes forward/ruck. Sofrinidis a question mark. Needs VFL exposure which he'll get at Coburg should he not sign with the Pies. Is he more a MSD prospect or do we take him now for insurance?

Based on all that, we take Teakle, Sullivan and then wonder on Eyre or Sofrinidis.

I don't necessarily agree Carmichael was quiet. Thought he did reasonably well for a guy who cops a fair whack.
Agree on Carmichael - didn't see all of the streamed vision, from what I saw, Carmichael made good ground position and was in a lot of the play - made some mistakes: getting to the ball and making some mistakes is much better than not getting near the ball. Good thing to my eyes is that he now seems a more balanced player - year 1 he was a get ball, kick ball, year 2 he was a get ball and then handball, yesterday he seemed to make very good handball/kick ball decisions

The commentary was excellent for a preseason intraclub match, kudos to the commentator.

Re. Carmichael, he has the makings of an AFL player: Good overhead mark for a mid, can kick when not under pressure, kicks goals, hints the ball, good body size etc.

However his decision making under pressure is very suspect. Quite often he slaps it on the boot or kicks it off the ground to the teams detriment, the sort of decisions that can be maddening for a coach. There were a number of times where he kicked the ball straight to the opposition or 20m over his teammates head. Nick Daicos had a go at him 2 or 3 times for those mistakes.

This has been a theme for him in the VFL as well and I really hoped the game would slow down for him but he doesn't seem to be making much progress in that area which will make his AFL prospects look dim.

At the moment I think he could only play wing or half forward in the AFL where he can have a bit more space to operate and kick goals, until he sorts out his decision making under pressure.

I'd add Ryan - thought he was a very good link player out of the backline.

Noticed he played a bit on the wing too. I called out to his cousin (Bodie, drafted to hawks last draft) who I kinda know who was watching that he had changed to wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commentary was excellent for a preseason intraclub match, kudos to the commentator.

Re. Carmichael, he has the makings of an AFL player: Good overhead mark for a mid, can kick when not under pressure, kicks goals, hints the ball, good body size etc.

However his decision making under pressure is very suspect. Quite often he slaps it on the boot or kicks it off the ground to the teams detriment, the sort of decisions that can be maddening for a coach. There were a number of times where he kicked the ball straight to the opposition or 20m over his teammates head. Nick Daicos had a go at him 2 or 3 times for those mistakes.

This has been a theme for him in the VFL as well and I really hoped the game would slow down for him but he doesn't seem to be making much progress in that area which will make his AFL prospects look dim.

At the moment I think he could only play wing or half forward in the AFL where he can have a bit more space to operate and kick goals, until he sorts out his decision making under pressure.
Thoughtful post, some good insights thanks.

He was very good yesterday
It was a pretty low intensity game though. Better to hold off on judgement regarding his poise under pressure until there actually is some.

He and Markov were close to level pegging end of last year so thats his obvious chance. Markov was great last year but is a 20-23 players and if he drops off JFN can replace him.
I’m not convinced it’s close unless Noble shows he can defend better over the next fortnight. Don’t get me wrong I’ve grown to like what he brings to the table and he was without a doubt one of the best footballers in the league to finish 2023 at reserve level. He just slipped defensively late last year. Markov ain’t Bruce Doull, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest Noble has bridged that gap. As we stand I think injury is Noble’s best chance.

Also it wasn’t in this post I just wanted to address it though, AJ v Kreuger v Reef. I’m with you and would be leaning toward AJ, but the option of Kreuger allowing us to then sub out a ruck appeals to me v GWS.

Noble isn't competing with any of those guys for a position, so I'm not sure what relevance they have really when you are talking about 'better options'.

Noble will get a ton of opportunities this year, especially with ND playing the majority of the time on the ball.

We do not want to do a Geelong and fall off a sharp cliff.

Noble isn't competing with any of those guys for a position, so I'm not sure what relevance they have really when you are talking about 'better options'.

Noble will get a ton of opportunities this year, especially with ND playing the majority of the time on the ball.
Noble competes with them indirectly as some of our mids can play at half back.

But I also don’t agree with a narrative that Noble will completely struggle to get a game.

I’m not convinced it’s close unless Noble shows he can defend better over the next fortnight. Don’t get me wrong I’ve grown to like what he brings to the table and he was without a doubt one of the best footballers in the league to finish 2023 at reserve level. He just slipped defensively late last year. Markov ain’t Bruce Doull, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest Noble has bridged that gap. As we stand I think injury is Noble’s best chance.

Also it wasn’t in this post I just wanted to address it though, AJ v Kreuger v Reef. I’m with you and would be leaning toward AJ, but the option of Kreuger allowing us to then sub out a ruck appeals to me v GWS.
Injury is probably the best chance but Noble and Markov are 18-22 type players so there has to be a degree of interchangability about them. The decision to drop Noble for the finalsafter 70 or whatever games in a row had to be a close call. He needs to shore up his defence for sure but Markov isnt a lock either. 23 may end up being a season out of the box for him, he is a player at that sort of level. They have both given their all but both are replacable and potentially by each other. I reckon its close

AJ has the potential to kick more goals but agree Kreuger has other appeals if he can step up. He has only managed 3 full AFL games in his career so its still pretty unknown what he can really offer at the level. Hopefully we find out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back