Top 5 Favourite Pies Players ever? (Not the best, your favourite).

Remove this Banner Ad

G. Brown: Physically he was no giant, but played like one. Determination and courage personified. Went in hard but never performed a dirty act on the ground.

P. Daicos: Timeless talent. Could field him in a side of any era and he'd dominate.

N. Buckley: There were times when supporting Collingwood was not all that rewarding. Nathan created hope. Was driven and disciplined. Supreme footballer.

S. Pendlebury: No explanation required. Freak of consistency.

I expect to get crucified for this, but:

D. Thomas: Was electrifying at his peak. Such an exciting footballer to watch. He was an instinctive athlete who played with dare.

Honorable mentions: P. Medhurst, J. Elliott. Both small athletes that can play tall and win games off their own boot. Didak, he was the modern version of a mini-Daicos, until we got some proper ones. :)
I like Thomas now. He genuinely loves Collingwood, of that there is no doubt. He was a really exciting player until injury seemed to suck the brilliance out of his game. I think he knows he stuffed up crossing to Carlton, though I suspect he realised his best football was behind him and was keen to secure his future with a lucrative and long contract.

In a sense, Dale was to Malthouse what Crosswell was to Barrassi, except he failed at his second club as did Carlton, whereas Crosswell was all that Barrassi could have hoped for in a player at both clubs. The significant difference between the two men was the nature of the relationship between coach and player - Malthouse almost a father figure to Thomas, whereas I am sure Crosswell harboured no paternal feelings whatsoever for Barrassi. I wish Crosswell had been a Pie's player. He had a ripping sense of humour and a sharp intellect.

From Brent Crosswell - A Sixties Tasmanian Football Legend 'The Crosswell feats on and off the field are legendary. A team and crowd lifter who did the unorthodox and did it well and whenever the team needed it most. Nobody will ever forget his grandstand strut form fullback to full forward when Barassi and North Melbourne needed a match winner in the 1975 grand final. He topped North's goalkicking in 1977 with 42 goals.

He was so much larger than life that it is said that playwright David Williamson modelled his pot smoking footballer character Geoff Hayward in the play "The Club" after Crosswell. His admissions of dabbling in marijuana did little for his reputation but he put his eccentricities out in full public view through his writing and his antics. The quintessential football showman, he played chess and would challenge Barassi to a game and thrash him while on the field he would line up on opposition players quoting the poet Keats at them.

Didak was a loveable rascal, a cheeky, in your face type as a player, and the ideal guy to be caught with H Shaw in a compromising incident in which their lies were all too easily exposed. But he was also responsible for some of the most memorable passages of brilliant football. Andrew Krakouer was another player I enjoyed for much the same reason, and watching him reset his life at Collingwood after time inside was heart warming stuff.

Last edited:
1. McGuane - Passionate, tough and committed. That goal against Carlton I saw from opposite end. He just kept going and going. Love the way he talks about the game aswell.
2. Peter Daicos- A highlights reel probably only matched by Ablett Sr and Dusty. Oh the days of riding the Epping line train back to Northcote after watching him bag another 7 at Vic Park
3. De Goey - my current fave. Watching him develop into a finals alpha bull has been a pleasure. Big moment relisher
4. McCreery - it's the monster tackling and bustling pace and fist pump inducing goals. That tackle on Steven May.
5. Dane Swan - Our lovable larrikin who broke all the rules and played like he didn't care. That Anzac Day boundary run goal and celebration.

1. McGuane - Passionate, tough and committed. That goal against Carlton I saw from opposite end. He just kept going and going. Love the way he talks about the game aswell.
2. Peter Daicos- A highlights reel probably only matched by Ablett Sr and Dusty. Oh the days of riding the Epping line train back to Northcote after watching him bag another 7 at Vic Park
3. De Goey - my current fave. Watching him develop into a finals alpha bull has been a pleasure. Big moment relisher
4. McCreery - it's the monster tackling and bustling pace and fist pump inducing goals. That tackle on Steven May.
5. Dane Swan - Our lovable larrikin who broke all the rules and played like he didn't care. That Anzac Day boundary run goal and celebration.
I thought long and hard about McCreery too. Definitely my favourite in the current team.

I like Thomas now. He genuinely loves Collingwood, of that there is no doubt. He was a really exciting player until injury seemed to suck the brilliance out of his game. I think he knows he stuffed up crossing to Carlton, though I suspect he realised his best football was behind him and was keen to secure his future with a lucrative and long contract.

In a sense, Dale was to Malthouse what Crosswell was to Barrassi, except he failed at his second club as did Carlton, whereas Crosswell was all that Barrassi could have hoped for in a player at both clubs. The significant difference between the two men was the nature of the relationship between coach and player - Malthouse almost a father figure to Thomas, whereas I am sure Crosswell harboured no paternal feelings whatsoever for Barrassi. I wish Crosswell had been a Pie's player. He had a ripping sense of humour and a sharp intellect.

From Brent Crosswell - A Sixties Tasmanian Football Legend 'The Crosswell feats on and off the field are legendary. A team and crowd lifter who did the unorthodox and did it well and whenever the team needed it most. Nobody will ever forget his grandstand strut form fullback to full forward when Barassi and North Melbourne needed a match winner in the 1975 grand final. He topped North's goalkicking in 1977 with 42 goals.

He was so much larger than life that it is said that playwright David Williamson modelled his pot smoking footballer character Geoff Hayward in the play "The Club" after Crosswell. His admissions of dabbling in marijuana did little for his reputation but he put his eccentricities out in full public view through his writing and his antics. The quintessential football showman, he played chess and would challenge Barassi to a game and thrash him while on the field he would line up on opposition players quoting the poet Keats at them.

Didak was a loveable rascal, a cheeky, in your face type as a player, and the ideal guy to be caught with H Shaw in a compromising incident in which their lies were all too easily exposed. But he was also responsible for some of the most memorable passages of brilliant football. Andrew Krakouer was another player I enjoyed for much the same reason, and watching him reset his life at Collingwood after time inside was heart warming stuff.

By the time his career is over I think JDG will comfortably sit in my top 5.

A power athlete and impact player.

Jordy is the "bad-boy" who turned into a premiership hero, a great story.

Love the way he is going about it on the field.

Last edited:
So much love in this thread.

I’m seeing strong likes for Bucks, Pendles Dids, Greening and Carmen, and a good bit of support for Mason.

For me, Peter Daicos was not only the most amazing talent the comp has seen but always so approachable by fans (and fantastic fathering), then daylight, then Barwick, D Moore, Rowdy & Swanny.

By the time his career is over I think JDG will comfortably sit in my top 5.

A power athlete and impact player.

Jordy is the "bad-boy" who turned into a premiership hero, a great story.

Love the way he is going about it on the field.
1990 - Darren Millane
2010 - Dane Swan
2023 - Jordan DeGoey

Kent butcher
Jason croall
Athas hyrsalakis
Andrew tranquili
Ryan lonie

Favorites:

Greening
Wright
Crosisca
McGuane
P Daicos

Swanny very unlucky to not make the cut.

HMs: Millane, G Brown, Clement, Abernethy, W Richardson, Pendles, R Byrne, Toovey, R Shaw, Russell, Burns, BJ, Davis, Price.

Wow. You include 2 players that would make my top 5 despised players. Which would include.
Dale Thomas
Harry O'Brien
Mike Richardson
Mark Williams
Ollie Henry
I’ve met Mark Williams, I did a course he was running in sports management. Yeah, he’s hard to like. Not at all friendly, very direct and I just didn’t like the way he did things. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong as he’s very successful but if I was playing under him I’d be asking for a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 5 by decades
80’s - Peter Daicos
90’s- Sav Rocca
00’s- Leon Davis
10’s - Trav Cloke
20’s - Mason Cox (there’s a cross over with the 10’s because of 2018 where he was huge)

Second part of the 20’s it’ll be Nick Daicos for sure.

I also could’ve added a 70’s one too and that was Billy Picken and Darcy’s Dad.

v hard...

Pendlebury
Buckley
N Daicos
Greening
James Clement

Shoutouts to Burns, G Brown, P Daicos, Leon Davis, Didak, Darcy & Swan

Last edited:
Favorites:

Greening
Wright
Crosisca
McGuane
P Daicos

Swanny very unlucky to not make the cut.

HMs: Millane, G Brown, Clement, Abernethy, W Richardson, Pendles, R Byrne, Toovey, R Shaw, Russell, Burns, BJ, Davis, Price.
I’m glad someone mentioned Barry, a couple of years before my time as a footballer but he was my 1st 18 coach and a hell of a bloke.

I’m glad someone mentioned Barry, a couple of years before my time as a footballer but he was my 1st 18 coach and a hell of a bloke.

His passing to forwards on the lead remains the best I’ve ever seen. Consistently hitting chests with low bullet passes. Just glorious to watch.

His passing to forwards on the lead remains the best I’ve ever seen. Consistently hitting chests with low bullet passes. Just glorious to watch.
He hit my older brother with a water logged ball that went straight through his hands and put him horizontal. Funny and embarrassing at the same time, you brother getting taken out by a Barry Price stab pass special.

Millane- would always lift team when we were down.
Peter Daicos (now Daicos family)- so exciting to watch
Scott Burns- rarely beaten, tough and in my view our best centre clearance player. Todays rotations would have been a even better player
Leon Davis - excitement machine. Bobby Hill, I love equally as much
BT- was an entertainer and really a budget Dunstall/Lockett.

Very hard to have favourites

Ronnie Wearmouth
John Greening
Chris Tarrant
Peter Daicos
And of course.....
Chris Dalkin

Pendles
A Roccaaaaaa
Neon Leon
Shane Wakelin
Buckley