Top 5 Favourite Pies Players ever? (Not the best, your favourite).

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Shaw
Dennis Banks
Dane Swan
James Clement
Jamie Elliott

Leon Davis

just loved everything about how he played.

Chris Tarrant

The biceps that launched a thousand chicken chokings

Ben Reid

Before his body cracked, the backman with the most attacking rebound ive seen

Steele

Reminds me of a little neighbourhood Jack Russell when i was a kid. Into everythingvand always with a tongue half out and a cheeky smile

Patrick Lipinski

A1 crumpet

Great time of the year and the footy cycle to have a think about this.

1. Gavin Brown, never been a braver player to wear the stripes or any other colours come to think of it. Approached every contest like it was life or death. Brilliant player at SOO level and big matches. How could you not love him

2. Sav Rocca, just loved the excitement he brought to a match. Marks, kicking and power.

3. Len Thompson, Probably stretching the memory and perhaps its time dilation, but he was a giant of a player and before his time as a skilled athletic ruckman.

4. Darrren Millane for just never taking a backward step and he not only made his team mates stand taller, but i reckon us in the stands did as well.

5 JDG, to throw in a current player, just love his last 2 seaons in particular. with the recession ( slight) of Dusty, reckon this bloke has the most impact on a game per touch, just enormous hurt factor, big game player and crunch moment guy.

Couldn't let it go without noting Pendles, just a thng of beauty to behold.

Last edited:
Ron Mckeown: Forward or Back (the real no5, missing the 1990 GF, kicking 5 goals in the 92 elimination final)
Peter Dacios: torps from 50+
Graeme Wright: opposite wing to Darren, should have won the 1990 Brownlow
Scott Pendlebury: longevity, 2 premierships, matrix skills
Scott Burns: tuff as nails,

G. Brown: Physically he was no giant, but played like one. Determination and courage personified. Went in hard but never performed a dirty act on the ground.

P. Daicos: Timeless talent. Could field him in a side of any era and he'd dominate.

N. Buckley: There were times when supporting Collingwood was not all that rewarding. Nathan created hope. Was driven and disciplined. Supreme footballer.

S. Pendlebury: No explanation required. Freak of consistency.

I expect to get crucified for this, but:

D. Thomas: Was electrifying at his peak. Such an exciting footballer to watch. He was an instinctive athlete who played with dare.

Honorable mentions: P. Medhurst, J. Elliott. Both small athletes that can play tall and win games off their own boot. Didak, he was the modern version of a mini-Daicos, until we got some proper ones. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am with him on O'Brien. Wouldn't matter how many premierships he had played in, he soiled his legacy with the racism nonsense over the last few years and probably revealed his true colours (no pun intended).

Yeah, I agree he's acted in a ridiculous manner over the years, but I like players who got the absolute maximum out of themselves, which he certainly did.
Guys like Tony Shaw Micky Gayfer and Nick Maxwell.

Greening
Barham
Didak
Picken
Morwood

Though to be honest, I could probably have another couple of lists of 5 players I liked just about as much.

No Grundy, no Bear. If only things turned out differently. :(

Well done for acknowledging Morwood. Criminally underrated by many; such a skilled player.

Pendlebury
Didak
Buckley
Swan
De Goey

Special mention to Betheras.

I revered P. Daicos as a kid, but I was only 8 when he retired, so I won’t include him.

Could write my favourite top 50 to be honest and still miss plenty, but for various resons Ill go with:

P.Daicos
Gav Crosisca
Ricky Barham
Dane Swan
Darren Millane

So many apologies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back