Top 5 Favourite Pies Players ever? (Not the best, your favourite).

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Richardson
Peter Daicos
Rene Kink
Billy Picken
Josh Daicos

Pendles
A Roccaaaaaa
Neon Leon
Shane Wakelin
Buckley

Great seeing some love for Wakes. Top bloke and gave it his all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nathan Buckley - I sometimes think it gets forgotten in the broader AFL circles just how good Bucks was given the recency of the coaching tenure and never winning a flag. Few could do what he could do on a football field, even less could've carried their clubs the way he did during some of the darker/less successful days of the club. If not for injury ruining his career, I think he could've easily been a 50+ goal forward in the later stages of his playing days.

Scott Pendlebury - If Bucks is a "vanilla" selection, I'll have a double scoop and have Pendles second thanks. Class personified, a wonderful captain and someone who changed the game and how midfielders played. I'll let other argues if he has moved past Bucks and co as the greatest pie of all time, but undoubtedly a true great of the Collingwood football club, and one we get to enjoy watching for a few more years.

Anthony Rocca - The days I spent trying to split packs and kick 60m bombs like the big Pebble sit fondly in my memory - shame I never grew beyond 185cm and had less strength in my whole body than Ant did in his left leg alone. That 2007 Elimination Final on one leg will remain one of the best individual performances I've seen in black and white.

Leon Davis - Not much Neon Leon couldn't do i50, kicked brilliant goal and took great grabs for fun. Made football fun to watch with his brilliant skills and electric pace. His move to D50 showed a different side of his game with his ability to run and tackle, but also distribute by foot out of the back half.

Dayne Beams - Controversial? Possibly, but the first version of Magpie Dayne was truly something special - especially in seasons 2012,13,14. It was a joy watching the young HFF, become a genuine gun midfielder in front of our very eyes - the iconic tatt sleeve, the swivel out of traffic, the ability to hit the scoreboard in clutch moments will always be remembered far more fondly than 2019. While he wasn't ever the best Dayne/Dane (who gets an honorable mention) to play for the club, the Beamer will always have a special place in my heart.

Honorable mentions: Dane Swan, Steele Sidebottom and Matthew Scharenberg

Scott Pendlebury
Leon Davis
Craig Starcevich
Nathan Buckley
Anthony Rocca

Leigh Brown
Dane Swan
Jarrod Molloy
Saverio Rocca
Nathan Buckley

1. Rupert Betheras
2. R. Betheras
3. Rupe Betheras
4. Saverio Rocca
5. Rupert James Betheras

Ruuuuuupe was emblematic of the club's rise from the complete irrelevancy in the late '90s to the sustained success we've had from 2002 onwards. It's hard to explain just how broken the club was in 1999. But on the back of heart-and-soul players like Rupe, Collingwood reinvented itself as never-say-die battlers and punched so far above its weight it almost took down the greatest team of all time.

He should never have been cut – along with loosing Sav prematurely, that was one of Malthouse's biggest mistakes.

Actual list looks something like:

Rupe
Sav
James Clement
Scotty Burns
Mason Cox (can you tell I love my against-the-odds battlers?)

Tough to narrow down 5

Brian Taylor - childhood hero
Mark Richardson - just loved him, always gave his all for the club, during a really bad period during the 90s
James Clement
Tarkyn Lockyer
Leon Davis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow this is a tough ask. Here's mine:

Pendles - is now my fav of all time after being a big part in winning our second flag. Without him I don't think we would have so that's elevated him to my fav.

Swannie - who couldn't like this guy.

Peter Daicos - changed the game

Buckley - I loved watching him play

Gavin Brown - tough as nails and a true leader.

Others that I had to leave out... Didak, Rocca, S Burns, Maxwell, Sidey, Millane, Presti

Jimmy Clement
Heath Shaw
Shane O'Bree
Tom Langdon
Luke Ball

Is it too soon that Naicos is already in my top 5?

Clement a lock in, as too Luke Ball. Heater close....but players that exit are tainted 😅

Tony Francis
Tyson Lane
Tarkyn Lockyer
Leigh Walker
Jason Wild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back