Opinion Best Collingwood games of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

DIDAIC0S

All Australian
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just got my box set for Xmas.
What are everyone’s thoughts on the best H&A games out of the 23 for the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine I'll rank them all

1. Grand Final vs Brisbane Lions - say less
2. R2 vs Port Adelaide - pure champagne footy all the way by the Pies. A monstrous win against a contender.
3. R1 vs Geelong - a sign of things to come. This win was enough to give us the early confidence to go all the way
4. Preliminary Final vs GWS - they threw everything at us but we matched them. Insanely tense game.
5. R19 vs Port Adelaide - top of the table clash on their home soil and we came back from behind once again
6. R16 vs Gold Coast - fresh off a couple of iffy performances, we steamrolled the Suns on the road
7. R17 vs Western Bulldogs - really strong win against a Dogs side that tried their best. Third quarter was immense.
8. R9 vs GWS Giants - was before the Giants got rolling, but a big Mother's Day win was an enjoyable sight
9. R6 vs Essendon - another side that threw everything at us but the Pies' class came out on top. Outstanding game.
10. Qualifying Final vs Melbourne - they gave us a good fright but we did what we needed to do and beat a good side.
11. R18 vs Fremantle - rolled them in the second term and was a fairly even game otherwise. Big win.
12. R22 vs Geelong - season on the line for Geelong and we were without a couple of stars. Great win to break consecutive losses.
13. R10 vs Carlton - belted them early and conserved the win after half-time.
14. R7 vs Adelaide - we were far from our best but to win in that fashion with some horrid calls against us was beautiful
15. R24 vs Essendon - always nice to smash the Bummers but it's ranked lower because I think their heads were somewhere else.
16. R8 vs Sydney - a gallant Swans came to play but we cruised to a nice win late
17. R15 vs Adelaide - completely capitulated in the third but came back for a memorable win. Great game.
18. R4 vs St Kilda - incredibly frustrating game until late when we got the break. They almost tied it late.
19. R12 vs West Coast - margin probably flattered us in some ways. Eagles overwhelmed us in the second and third terms.
20. R11 vs North Melbourne - got the job done against a bad side. Nothing notable happened.
21. R3 vs Richmond - lucky to get away with a wasteful performance against a bad Richmond side. Forgettable game.
22. R23 vs Brisbane Lions - a reasonably gallant effort without 3 of our stars. Never looked like winning though.
23. R13 vs Melbourne - they showed us up big time after we got the early jump. Margin flattered us.
24. R20 vs Carlton - a night we had every chance but never got going. Super frustrating.
25. R4 vs Brisbane Lions - dropped 10 goals in a row at one stage. Our only real hiccup early on.
26. R21 vs Hawthorn - calamitous day in every sense. One to forget.

Fine I'll rank them all

1. Grand Final vs Brisbane Lions - say less
2. R2 vs Port Adelaide - pure champagne footy all the way by the Pies. A monstrous win against a contender.
3. R1 vs Geelong - a sign of things to come. This win was enough to give us the early confidence to go all the way
4. Preliminary Final vs GWS - they threw everything at us but we matched them. Insanely tense game.
5. R19 vs Port Adelaide - top of the table clash on their home soil and we came back from behind once again
6. R16 vs Gold Coast - fresh off a couple of iffy performances, we steamrolled the Suns on the road
7. R17 vs Western Bulldogs - really strong win against a Dogs side that tried their best. Third quarter was immense.
8. R9 vs GWS Giants - was before the Giants got rolling, but a big Mother's Day win was an enjoyable sight
9. R6 vs Essendon - another side that threw everything at us but the Pies' class came out on top. Outstanding game.
10. Qualifying Final vs Melbourne - they gave us a good fright but we did what we needed to do and beat a good side.
11. R18 vs Fremantle - rolled them in the second term and was a fairly even game otherwise. Big win.
12. R22 vs Geelong - season on the line for Geelong and we were without a couple of stars. Great win to break consecutive losses.
13. R10 vs Carlton - belted them early and conserved the win after half-time.
14. R7 vs Adelaide - we were far from our best but to win in that fashion with some horrid calls against us was beautiful
15. R24 vs Essendon - always nice to smash the Bummers but it's ranked lower because I think their heads were somewhere else.
16. R8 vs Sydney - a gallant Swans came to play but we cruised to a nice win late
17. R15 vs Adelaide - completely capitulated in the third but came back for a memorable win. Great game.
18. R4 vs St Kilda - incredibly frustrating game until late when we got the break. They almost tied it late.
19. R12 vs West Coast - margin probably flattered us in some ways. Eagles overwhelmed us in the second and third terms.
20. R11 vs North Melbourne - got the job done against a bad side. Nothing notable happened.
21. R3 vs Richmond - lucky to get away with a wasteful performance against a bad Richmond side. Forgettable game.
22. R23 vs Brisbane Lions - a reasonably gallant effort without 3 of our stars. Never looked like winning though.
23. R13 vs Melbourne - they showed us up big time after we got the early jump. Margin flattered us.
24. R20 vs Carlton - a night we had every chance but never got going. Super frustrating.
25. R4 vs Brisbane Lions - dropped 10 goals in a row at one stage. Our only real hiccup early on.
26. R21 vs Hawthorn - calamitous day in every sense. One to forget.

That was thorough mate. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were games in ‘23, and periods within games, when I thought ‘no way’ will we be premiers. Losing three of our last five H&A games was also concerning - we didn’t exactly charge into the finals. And then there were some of our stats, including defence stats, which wavered and dipped precariously at times.

But still we did it, in a way that was pure Collingwood under Fly. Different. Not text book. Not predictable - except for being unpredictable. With flashes of utter brilliance and supreme mental toughness.

So I don’t have any favourite games from the year - but more like favourite parts of games. One of which was Moore’s take down of Ollie Henry in Round 1, when the cocky kid was strolling into goal.

It nearly took the roof off the Ponsford - and many of us thought then - oh yeah.

There were many.

TBH I felt that once we beat Geelong in round 1 the cup would be ours. Especially in round 2 with that link up play and great goal by Daicos from outside 50 vs Port in that shellacking. One of my favourite goals of all time. These two games really solidified by belief in that we would be premiers come finals time.

ANZAC Day and Port away as mentioned. The return game vs the cats.

Beating The Blues was marvelous.

The Crows victories by the narrowest of margins.

And of course, all three nail bitingly close finals games.

Quite a few stand out for me, but the best two for me were:

ANZAC day. Wow what a finish. I watched it with two Essendon mates so it was especially sweet after they were so cocky at 3 quarter time.
Port round 2. We were all over them. I was overseas when I watched it so lacked the atmosphere, but was a brilliant game to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back