2023 Premiership Doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for clarity on the two docos .
One was a cinema production with a full crew filmed over several months. Enabling the “journey” to be told from lots of angles, on and off field.
One was a sit down that focused only on one game and gave an insight into the thoughts of the players in those critical moments.
One cost probably over 100k.
One cost about 2k. (6 if you include the animated bird)

Hardly comparable. Just enjoy both.

Just for clarity on the two docos .
One was a cinema production with a full crew filmed over several months. Enabling the “journey” to be told from lots of angles, on and off field.
One was a sit down that focused only on one game and gave an insight into the thoughts of the players in those critical moments.
One cost probably over 100k.
One cost about 2k. (6 if you include the animated bird)

Hardly comparable. Just enjoy both.

And there's a third coming out tonight!

I'm actually gonna hold off watching this AFL.com.au "44 Sons" production until after I watch "Take the Steps". It'd be like going out for lunch when you're already going out for dinner that night.

I don't wanna spoil the good stuff. There is always time!

From memory the Dipper nickname may have been one he picked up before he came to Collingwood or if not then soon after arriving. I recall reading or hearing about in an interview early on, though for whatever reason it didn’t really filter out to the public where he picked up the Pendles moniker. To be honest this was the first time I can recall it being used publicly.

Prob the first time publicly but it’s very common you hear at training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I figured as much (also said it earlier in the thread)

I long held a suspicion he was intentionally subdued when calling Collingwood as to not appear biased. Which I kind of understand?

I just think he's gone way too far the other way and if he feels that way, shouldn't be calling Collingwood games going forward.
Exactly. Appears he is focused on what is best for him.

And there's a third coming out tonight!

I'm actually gonna hold off watching this AFL.com.au "44 Sons" production until after I watch "Take the Steps". It'd be like going out for lunch when you're already going out for dinner that night.

I don't wanna spoil the good stuff. There is always time!
What's the one on tonight? 44 sons? Via AFL website? I can't find it.

What's the one on tonight? 44 sons? Via AFL website? I can't find it.
I don't know if they've put it up on the AFL website yet (I can't find it either). They might be waiting til after the initial screening at the season launch before they put it up for public consumption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Take The Steps at Hoyt’s Docklands tonight.
WOW.
Made me so proud of our club and the team.
It also really highlights the focus and professionalism needed to be an AFL starting 23 player.
Super impressive.

Just watched 44 sons. Just brilliant. Had a smile on my face all the way through.

Interestingly, they had a ground level camera angle of the Daicos shot in the last quarter that was touched on the goal line by Andrews. Whilst they didn't slow it up or anything, looked like it was clearly touched, so good decision by the goal umpire not to review.

44 Sons - what a ripper. In a week of highlights, it found a way to offer different angles and insights. Very well done.
And finally somebody had the wherewithal to find another angle of the Daicos shot at goal. Clearly touched, but why did nobody else think of tracking this down?
And the moment McRae told the players that he had 44 sons - that meant a lot to some players - have a close look.
Well done to the AFL for this production.

Loved the "44 Sons" doco, and the Fox Footy one too; sadly no Hoyts cinemas in HK. :D

Seems pretty clear to me why Fly made the mistake and said he just had a son when he was announcing Maggie's birth - he was set mentally to talk to the team about how he had "44 sons" sewn into his match shirt to honour the boys, but when he decided to tell them he had a baby girl as well, the words just got mixed up on the way to his mouth.

If anyone had a right to make a little verbal slip up on that day, it was Fly. What a day, and what a legend.

Fly’s line to Jeff Browne on the ground; thanks for having faith in me - pure class.
Jeff’s line, I knew he was the man for the job after 10 minutes.
PS: I see Leigh Matthews has basically told us to pull our head in and look forward.
I disagree, these videos are a great insight into what it’s like to support our team.
Anyone uncertain where their allegiances lie are welcome to join us.

Fly’s line to Jeff Browne on the ground; thanks for having faith in me - pure class.
Jeff’s line, I knew he was the man for the job after 10 minutes.
PS: I see Leigh Matthews has basically told us to pull our head in and look forward.
I disagree, these videos are a great insight into what it’s like to support our team.
Anyone uncertain where their allegiances lie are welcome to join us.
I listened to what Leigh had to say and he seems to be under the impression that the players and Fly did the the Taking the Steps Doco ad the Fox Footy doco in the last fortnight or so because that’s when they were released. He also seems to think that the Fox Footy one was something unique to us rather than an annual thing they do every year with the premiers. He actually sounded quite angry about it to me, I wondered how much of it was sour grapes given his affinity with the Lions.

I listened to what Leigh had to say and he seems to be under the impression that the players and Fly did the the Taking the Steps Doco ad the Fox Footy doco in the last fortnight or so because that’s when they were released. He also seems to think that the Fox Footy one was something unique to us rather than an annual thing they do every year with the premiers. He actually sounded quite angry about it to me, I wondered how much of it was sour grapes given his affinity with the Lions.

It was 100% salt

Fly’s line to Jeff Browne on the ground; thanks for having faith in me - pure class. Jeff’s line, I knew he was the man for the job after 10 minutes.

People might take this exchange to imply that Jeff gave Fly the job, which was certainly not the case. Jeff had no role at CFC when Fly was appointed.

Who does he mean by “us”?

The club and players? I’ve got no doubt they’ve long moved on, and all indications point to that.

Us fans? As with the Premiers every season, we’ll bathe in the afterglow for as long as we please.

People might take this exchange to imply that Jeff gave Fly the job, which was certainly not the case. Jeff had no role at CFC when Fly was appointed.

Who does he mean by “us”?

The club and players? I’ve got no doubt they’ve long moved on, and all indications point to that.

Us fans? As with the Premiers every season, we’ll bathe in the afterglow for as long as we please.

Leigh was directing it more at the players and coaches. He seemed to be under the impression that both the club doco and the Fox Footy one were filmed in the last two weeks and that the Fox Footy one was unique to us rather than an annual program.

I remember listening to the Real Footy podcast on The Age with Caro, Michael Glesson and Jake Niall around the time Fly was appointed and they confirmed Jeff had "some small input" into the decision to appoint Fly.

You're right to say that he had no official role at the club during this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back