Bevos replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need a disciplinarian, the polar opposite to bevo. Josh carr and don pyke stand out.

Interesting to see Richmonds list has been cut down to...

Chris Newman
Andrew McQualter
Xavier Clarke
Adam Yze
Daniel Giansiracusa

Not exactly any names floated on anyones wish list on this thread to replace Bevo, nor names you expected to be front runners compared to others out there. Could this mean the cupboard is bare out there and this could be what we'd be stuck with in our search?

Don Pyke please and thank you wouldn't mind him brining Dean Cox down with him and Stewie Dew in there

Josh Carr ... as long as he brings Butters with him.

It just has to be a first timer, with an experienced campaigner as right hand man.

Carr, Chaplin, whoever don’t really care. Super excited to see a completely new panel put a fresh spin on this list.

Although it’ll probably be one of the Myotherapists promoted with Spangher 2IC after Bevo rinses us 😂

Josh Carr it is. New thread?

Criteria:

1. Never been head coach at AFL level
2. Someone who can reunite the group
3. Tactical nous
4. Disciplined, serious - less weird s**t
5. Striking blonde moustache

Shane Biggs is the obvious choice with Clay Smith as assistant.

Impossible to tell who the best assistants are etc. but I'm sure Carr who wasn't interested in the Richmond gig would be in ours.

We have the hardest third of the ground just about covered with JUH, Naughton, Darcy, Lobb and Flea.

Still have the remnants of a potent midfield mix, just a few holes.

A dysfunctional backline with two AA level running defenders and a superb 35 year old Liam Jones.

Impossible to tell who the best assistants are etc. but I'm sure Carr who wasn't interested in the Richmond gig would be in ours.

We have the hardest third of the ground just about covered with JUH, Naughton, Darcy, Lobb and Flea.

Still have the remnants of a potent midfield mix, just a few holes.

A dysfunctional backline with two AA level running defenders and a superb 35 year old Liam Jones.

And a good draft hand, with potentially a few more picks to come if the rumours are true.

The actual job description for our head coaching position is very appealing.

- Excellent list of under 25’s.
- Best captain/player in the AFL.
- Complete vacancy of assistants giving the head coach full ability to stock the shelves with whoever they wish.
- Soon to be the most advanced training facilities in the AFL with direct access to Olympic level sports science/management resources at Vic Uni.
- Highly profitable and able to spend $$$ through the soft cap.
- Great draft hand with no pick impediments going forward

We should be a top tier choice for any candidate as long as the board don’t * it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Complete vacancy of assistants giving the head coach full ability to stock the shelves with whoever they wish.
- Soon to be the most advanced training facilities in the AFL with direct access to Olympic level sports science/management resources at Vic Uni.

We should be a top tier choice for any candidate as long as the board don’t * it up.
Honestly it’s a pretty terrific spot to come and coach. The challenge for a new coach will be retaining all of our top end talent, resetting the mindset of the playing group and developing the 15-22 players in our best 22 from our wider exisiting list.

The only thing I worry about is the off field side of things. When you take up a coaching appointment, you’d want to be pretty confident that the board and football department is united and share the same vision. I feel like it’s way off at the moment.

Honestly it’s a pretty terrific spot to come and coach. The challenge for a new coach will be retaining all of our top end talent, resetting the mindset of the playing group and developing the 15-22 players in our best 22 from our wider exisiting list.

The only thing I worry about is the off field side of things. When you take up a coaching appointment, you’d want to be pretty confident that the board and football department is united and share the same vision. I feel like it’s way off at the moment.
This is the counterpoint to all those attractions. Sadly it has been a view around the league for 60 years or more and it's hard to shake. Despite intermittent periods of stability and prosperity we keep ending up in minor crises due usually to poor management or poor finances.

Financially we seem pretty sound at the moment but there's always been a lingering question mark around the acumen and long term stability of our top tier of management. And our corporate culture. Maybe that view is not universally held, but I think it's still out there. Not always publicly commented on either but most of us would be aware of the slurs from people like Jack Elliot and Kevin Sheedy over the years. Others in the media pick up on that and we become recurrent targets. Patronising comments. Episodes like the current one don't help.

If there's a positive for me it's that despite the roller coaster nature of things at Footscray the averaged trajectory over the last 30 years has been steadily upwards, as reflected in our finances and our onfield performances. Not world-shattering but definitely competitive. Possibly our membership too but it's hard to know for sure.

Certainly we're doing better off than we were 40-60 years ago.

We need to go through a fair and open process, the same process we went through to get Bevo. There is a number of good assistant coaches out there. I would prefer one who played for a successful club, with a good culture.
This.

I have no issue with supporters having an opinion and nominating their preferred coach.

The reality is, a comprehensive process needs to take place. Without a thorough process, we won't really know who the best candidate is. I.e. You might initially have a leading candidate in mind, but after interviewing that candidate and doing more background work, suddenly that candidate is determined not to be a suitable fit.

I don't necessarily agree with the approach Norf took with Clarko and GCS took with Dimma. There didn't appear to be much of a process about that. Rather they identified those as 4 & 3 time premiership coaches and let their record speak for itself. Perhaps there was more involved in identifying them as the best candidate, but if there wasn't much of a process, then how can those clubs be certain they got the best available?

Getting the head coach right is so important and those decisions shouldn't be made with haste.

This.

I have no issue with supporters having an opinion and nominating their preferred coach.

The reality is, a comprehensive process needs to take place. Without a thorough process, we won't really know who the best candidate is. I.e. You might initially have a leading candidate in mind, but after interviewing that candidate and doing more background work, suddenly that candidate is determined not to be a suitable fit.

I don't necessarily agree with the approach Norf took with Clarko and GCS took with Dimma. There didn't appear to be much of a process about that. Rather they identified those as 4 & 3 time premiership coaches and let their record speak for itself. Perhaps there was more involved in identifying them as the best candidate, but if there wasn't much of a process, then how can those clubs be certain they got the best available?

Getting the head coach right is so important and those decisions shouldn't be made with haste.
The difficulty comes if there are a lot of other clubs looking for coaches in the same off-season. There's a feeling you need to act quickly to snap up whoever seems to be the standout candidate (before the due process begins).

Fortunately this off-season doesn't seem to have too many head coach vacancies. Who else would be looking ... Richmond? West Coast perhaps?

I love Beveridge but if there was to be a change in coach it has to be now before the whole list blows up.

I strongly believe we can eek out a flag in the next 2 years pending coaching support AND astute trading.

The difficulty comes if there are a lot of other clubs looking for coaches in the same off-season. There's a feeling you need to act quickly to snap up whoever seems to be the standout candidate (before the due process begins).

Fortunately this off-season doesn't seem to have too many head coach vacancies. Who else would be looking ... Richmond? West Coast perhaps?
I'd back myself in to find a more suitable candidate with a thorough investigation. If a team wants to take a chance on someone they believe is a stand out, they can make that decision in haste and risk it blowing up in your face. Good luck to them.

Alan Joyce anyone? How did that work out?

Worked out last time.

Yeah, but Bevo knew how the club worked as he had played for us. Most of those who have come never having step foot in the joint struggle with the 'culture' (for want of a better way to describe it). Malthouse and Eade were the exception.

Been reading plenty about Bev gone for sure, just a matter of what day.
Can someone fill me in on how we know this is happening?

I'd back myself in to find a more suitable candidate with a thorough investigation. If a team wants to take a chance on someone they believe is a stand out, they can make that decision in haste and risk it blowing up in your face. Good luck to them.

Alan Joyce anyone? How did that work out?
Rocket was a very rushed appointment. They literally locked him in a room with Smorgon for 4 hours negotiating the deal, when they emerged the deal was done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back