Bevos replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocket was a very rushed appointment. They literally locked him in a room with Smorgon for 4 hours negotiating the deal, when they emerged the deal was done.
Two of my absolutely favourite Bulldog people. The two of them and Crossy made my trips to Melbourne in the 00's some of the happiest times of my life.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we might be struggling to find a decent coach - who wants to come to a basket case?
What? We're still a vague chance of finals, have Bont in the guts, Naughton & Marra up forward and Dale & Richards behind the ball.
We've got Darcy & Buss developing nicely and probably grab two more first round talents this year at draft time too.

The bare bones are there - any coach in their right mind would jump at the opportunity. We'll get our facilities back for this upcoming pre-season too.

What? We're still a vague chance of finals, have Bont in the guts, Naughton & Marra up forward and Dale & Richards behind the ball.
We've got Darcy & Buss developing nicely and probably grab two more first round talents this year at draft time too.

The bare bones are there - any coach in their right mind would jump at the opportunity. We'll get our facilities back for this upcoming pre-season too.
If we are looking for someone new, the line will be from Whitten Oval to sunshine of applicants.

I dare say Josh Carr will even be interested despite knocking back the Richmond interview.

I think it is time for Jordan Peterson " the divine sovereign individual " to take the reigns at the dogs now.

Rocket was a very rushed appointment. They literally locked him in a room with Smorgon for 4 hours negotiating the deal, when they emerged the deal was done.
Basically interviewed one person and hired him on the spot, desperate for a known commodity after the Rohde disaster. Management were scared s***less that Hawthorn would interview Eade later that week and we'd lose him if we didn't come to contract terms during the interview. We really showed those Hawks up...

Alistair Clarkson had coached our VFL affiliate Werribee in 2000, coached back to back Grand Finals and a flag in the SANFL the following two years, and being an assistant at the reigning premiers (Port), would undoubetdly have been one of the viable options for our head coach, had we went through a proper process.

Two of my absolutely favourite Bulldog people. The two of them and Crossy made my trips to Melbourne in the 00's some of the happiest times of my life.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really like Rocket, he busted his gut trying to shake down a key forward back then, when that was how the game was played.

I met him once at a fundraiser for a rookie, met him again 12months later and he remembered my name, I was impressed.

Rocket was a good coach. He just happened to get the team up and about for a few years, at the same time as the best AFL team since the 80s Hawks. Along with the 3 peat Lions, in Geelong. Plus a Hawks team that popped up briefly as well, with the best forward in the game in Buddy. A good Collingwood team, and then Ross Lyon with his very defensive, and hard to play against Saints. Was when I first started going to and following games as a kid. I always hated playing the Saints, even more than the Cats. We just could not kick a decent score on them ever. I think Rocket could have gotten us across if we either had Hall a year earlier, or the Cats were not up there.

Thought he was a smart coach as well. We got the best out of an undersized forward line, with no dominant tall, and managed to score the most or second most points at the end of one season I think? Just watching how they moved around, got open for one another, hit targets, heaps of marks on the lead. Makes me wonder why the hell our forward line can't even do something as simple as making space for one another etc.

Even if we got Clarko instead, no saying he would have done as good. He could easily be on the coaching scrapheap now, and never gotten a flag anywhere, for all we know. Which is why I respect budding coaches taking coach killer jobs of poorly run teams, who knows if the next great coach was lost to the system for picking that kind of role?

Rocket was a good coach. He just happened to get the team up and about for a few years, at the same time as the best AFL team since the 80s Hawks. Along with the 3 peat Lions, in Geelong. Plus a Hawks team that popped up briefly as well, with the best forward in the game in Buddy. A good Collingwood team, and then Ross Lyon with his very defensive, and hard to play against Saints. Was when I first started going to and following games as a kid. I always hated playing the Saints, even more than the Cats. We just could not kick a decent score on them ever. I think Rocket could have gotten us across if we either had Hall a year earlier, or the Cats were not up there.

Thought he was a smart coach as well. We got the best out of an undersized forward line, with no dominant tall, and managed to score the most or second most points at the end of one season I think? Just watching how they moved around, got open for one another, hit targets, heaps of marks on the lead. Makes me wonder why the hell our forward line can't even do something as simple as making space for one another etc.

Even if we got Clarko instead, no saying he would have done as good. He could easily be on the coaching scrapheap now, and never gotten a flag anywhere, for all we know. Which is why I respect budding coaches taking coach killer jobs of poorly run teams, who knows if the next great coach was lost to the system for picking that kind of role?
I reckon those Dogs teams were the most exciting to watch in my time as a fan.

I reckon those Dogs teams were the most exciting to watch in my time as a fan.
Agreed. We have had a fair few exciting and massive wins in the years since. But as a whole/collective, don't think we have been exciting to watch under Bevo. 2015-2016 might be close, and 2021 as well. But everything in between, our games are mostly eh.

I long to be a proper top 4 team, that plays exciting fast moving football, and kicks a lot of goals again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our school footy side played at Whitten Oval in the late 2000s. I was in my glory that day.

Walking through the main corridor brushing shoulders with Peter Dean and a young Will Minson.

Had to take a leak and walked past Rocket in the toilet and was star struck.
I cannot say anything bad about that man. The club owed him a key forward. We were so close. He made our team play our most exciting brand of footy.

He would've been held in different conversations had we punched a flag.

I was full back that game.. at the end where our gym shed was Cam Wight and Brian Lake sat out on eskies yelling out advice to us.

I made a good spoil and was clapped by Cam Wight which is a great memory.

Josh Hill presented our medals. He was a very shy and timid fella.

There was such a buzz around the club at the time.

Our school footy side played at Whitten Oval in the late 2000s. I was in my glory that day.

Walking through the main corridor brushing shoulders with Peter Dean and a young Will Minson.

Had to take a leak and walked past Rocket in the toilet and was star struck.
I cannot say anything bad about that man. The club owed him a key forward. We were so close. He made our team play our most exciting brand of footy.

He would've been held in different conversations had we punched a flag.

I was full back that game.. at the end where our gym shed was Cam Wight and Brian Lake sat out on eskies yelling out advice to us.

I made a good spoil and was clapped by Cam Wight which is a great memory.

Josh Hill presented our medals. He was a very shy and timid fella.

There was such a buzz around the club at the time.

Cool story - thx for sharing.

Reckon the club could use someone like Rocket at the moment.

Cool story - thx for sharing.

Reckon the club could use someone like Rocket at the moment.
I was wondering whether Rocket would make a good Football Director/Manager for us? Replacing Chris Grant...

Rocket got so much out of those teams offensively. Not that it'd happen but I do wonder what he could do as a forward coach with Naughts, Marra, Lobb, Cody, Darcy available to him...

But his temperament wouldn't gel too well with the current gen of players, most likely.

Rocket got so much out of those teams offensively. Not that it'd happen but I do wonder what he could do as a forward coach with Naughts, Marra, Lobb, Cody, Darcy available to him...

But his temperament wouldn't gel too well with the current gen of players, most likely.

Maybe it’s exactly what they need.

Zig when everyone else zags.

Interesting to see Richmonds list has been cut down to...

Chris Newman
Andrew McQualter
Xavier Clarke
Adam Yze
Daniel Giansiracusa

Not exactly any names floated on anyones wish list on this thread to replace Bevo, nor names you expected to be front runners compared to others out there. Could this mean the cupboard is bare out there and this could be what we'd be stuck with in our search?
I find it pretty bizarre that McQualter is still in that race tbh. Hasn’t done anything special this season from the outside looking in at least.

We would have to be one of the most attractive senior coach destinations in recent times. Most of the time they’re starting at year 0 but we have established stars and really promising youngsters already

Honestly it’s a pretty terrific spot to come and coach. The challenge for a new coach will be retaining all of our top end talent, resetting the mindset of the playing group and developing the 15-22 players in our best 22 from our wider exisiting list.

The only thing I worry about is the off field side of things. When you take up a coaching appointment, you’d want to be pretty confident that the board and football department is united and share the same vision. I feel like it’s way off at the moment.
I agree but our Board sadly lacks any vision and have no idea when the coaches are not performing, the team is playing crap and the players are not playing to an achievable level. We need a Peter Gordan clone.

This.

I have no issue with supporters having an opinion and nominating their preferred coach.

The reality is, a comprehensive process needs to take place. Without a thorough process, we won't really know who the best candidate is. I.e. You might initially have a leading candidate in mind, but after interviewing that candidate and doing more background work, suddenly that candidate is determined not to be a suitable fit.

I don't necessarily agree with the approach Norf took with Clarko and GCS took with Dimma. There didn't appear to be much of a process about that. Rather they identified those as 4 & 3 time premiership coaches and let their record speak for itself. Perhaps there was more involved in identifying them as the best candidate, but if there wasn't much of a process, then how can those clubs be certain they got the best available?

Getting the head coach right is so important and those decisions shouldn't be made with haste.
Who gets to pick a new head coach? Obviously there is external input, but can this board who seem to be royally f**king things up, be trusted to get this right.

Who gets to pick a new head coach? Obviously there is external input, but can this board who seem to be royally f**king things up, be trusted to get this right.
Normally a panel is established which includes board members, club executives and external parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back