BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume your referring to the game in 2021 when he kicked 17 vs South.

No Buninyong is his junior club, where his back now. In 2018, then Essendon VFL coach Dan Jordan demanded he choose atleast a BFL home club because he wanted him playing a higher standard than CHFL.

He played in East Point 2018 flag and had East has his home club for 4 seasons.
Think he kicked more that day 😄😄

The lights aren’t good enough to see properly as a supporter. Like at Mars. Also cold, much colder at night. Also, who wants to be driving from Ballarat at 10pm after a game of footy. The games are also at a very poor standard. And also socially, people have things to do on Saturday night. Having to play footy at night is just an unnecessary inconvenience
If the Ballarat clubs want it they can have it to themselves.

No clubs want them. Ballarat council however have an agreement with the BFNL to play night games.

Why is it that the bloods have been down at the bottom for years just like South but have managed to turn things around while South are still a rabble? Both clubs face the same challenges with demographics etc Bloods always been historically the more successful, well run club in town. Maybe that’s got something to do with it?

A real fast food footy club is Melton south, didn't work with fev years ago, yet they continue to think drive through players will help. I'd think there's a chance that darley and Gartlett might play the year there, their form in the oandm isn't fantastic and cuts down the travel. How many clubs for darley in the last 5 years?

11 goal hiding, positives are their thirds won and so did the reserves. You need recruits who are committed not just interested because of a pay check

Not sure your calculations are right Spud.

That's by far the biggest problem with the system.
The points system has to be simpler so that there is no doubt about a player's points.
It should not be a case of three people on here coming up with three different totals because of all the variables to factor in.

A real fast food footy club is Melton south, didn't work with fev years ago, yet they continue to think drive through players will help. I'd think there's a chance that darley and Gartlett might play the year there, their form in the oandm isn't fantastic and cuts down the travel. How many clubs for darley in the last 5 years?

11 goal hiding, positives are their thirds won and so did the reserves. You need recruits who are committed not just interested because of a pay check
I agree with your points but at least they are having a go. Last year they were miserable, employed a coach out of desperation… This year they seem to have a league worthy coach, recruited some players and despite the losses so far they are peaking some interest and conversation. I bet the younger boys took something away by playing with some ex-AFL talent.

Don’t forget too clubs are run by volunteers not necessarily elite sports people. Give it time and hopefully they can continue to build. Paying out on the club constantly doesn’t help anyone..

Your from down the Geelong way aren’t you Trent? You’d be familiar with Darleys track record down there, decent clubs wouldn’t go anywhere near him so South seem a decent fit for him

27th of April is now a reunion day at South. The day they got within 15 goals of another club.
Lessons learnt zero, games won zero, respect won zero
People like you who just love to kick clubs when there down. Actually was a pretty good atmosphere down there with a pretty good crowd, probably a lot more than the game you were at, or watching from home. I’m sure both clubs enjoyed the day and that’s good for footy.
Prior to covid hitting South were actually very competitive but that changed the landscape somewhat for not only South but footy in general.

People like you who just love to kick clubs when there down. Actually was a pretty good atmosphere down there with a pretty good crowd, probably a lot more than the game you were at, or watching from home. I’m sure both clubs enjoyed the day and that’s good for footy.
Prior to covid hitting South were actually very competitive but that changed the landscape somewhat for not only South but footy in general.
I was at Bacchus versus Darley. I doubt the south crowd was one tenth of that.
Not necessarily kicking a club that’s down, just their bizarre decisions. Keep doing the same stupid things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at Bacchus versus Darley. I doubt the south crowd was one tenth of that.
Not necessarily kicking a club that’s down, just their bizarre decisions. Keep doing the same stupid things
You have no idea mate so check the vision. Big crowd at South that hung around for the entire day.
Always thought the Ballarat competition was an elite high competition from the top down but yesterday at South didn’t really give the competition a great name and the ex AFL guys were left a bit bewildered at times.
  • South recruit kicks a goal in the 3rd quarter and back in the contest somewhat and players celebrate and head towards the centre for the bounce. Oh no the goal umpire signals a point and Redan go and grab the ball and transfer it to the other end. This recruit was let bewildered by the call.
  • In the last Kantilla kicks a beauty from the pocket and the crowd applauds from both sides and high fives the water carrier and bit of excitement for the loyal crowd who stayed. It clearly rolled through the 2 big posts. Oh blow me down the goal umpire signals a behind. Players and supporters are unaware and just couldn’t believe how that was a point.

It’s not a great look for the league and these players are probably thinking this league is not up to standard.
Would have thought the field umpire should have stepped in especially the second goal.

Redan had a few bigger bodied forwards l won more clearances. Plus they were a lot fitter. There young ruckman played an excellent game. Very mobile for a tall and has good skills. He must be 6”11..

South tried hard and were in the game for periods just let down by poor skills by hand & footy, and decision making going forward for not great at times.
Sam Darley probably South’s best player.
Kantilla was very good and always dangerous
Garlett probably expected a bit more from him.
Bennell didn’t really fire a shot.

All 4 players look to enjoy the day and were getting around the group and assisting and offering there experience.

Credit to Redan as were the better side and they looked to enjoy the contest as well.

Trying to claim South and Redan would’ve had a bigger crowd than a Bacchus Darley derby, I’ve heard it all now
My response to the comment that South v Redan would have had 1 tenth of what Bacchus v Darly had, if you bothered to read it correctly .
Apparently it was reported that Souths crowd was bigger than what was at Melton.

Also why do the league schedule South games vs Ballarat based at the same time schedule a Melton home game. Same as Bacchus and Darley where they should be scheduled apart so there’s a game on in town for the neutral followers.

You just have to laugh sometimes..

Regarding the standard of the comp. the response is obvious but I'm not going to pot South in order to make it.
Nobody is kicking them whilst their down either, it ranges from here we go again, to pity which is sad tbh.
We've seen this all before, bringing in a bunch of mercenaries at the latter stages of their careers, most of whom have carried question marks against their professionalism, as if it's going to address the woes down there. Most don't have much tread on the tyres anyway so even if they were committed, they're not there for the long haul.
They'd have been better suited if they'd brought some of their former players back, be that South juniors or some that had listed them as their community club whilst playing at VFL level.

Last edited:
You just have to laugh sometimes..

Regarding the standard of the comp. the response is obvious but I'm not going to pot South in order to make it.
Nobody is kicking them whilst their down either, it ranges from here we go again, to pity which is sad tbh.
We've seen this all before, bringing in a bunch of mercenaries at the latter stages of their careers, most of whom have carried question marks against their professionalism as if it's going to address the woes down there. Most don't have much tread on the tyres anyway so even if they were committed, they're not there for the long haul.
They'd have been better suited if they'd brought some of their former players back, be that South juniors or some that had listed them as their community club whilst playing at VFL level.
I understand why you think this way but some clubs have to look outside the square. Hopefully with a new facility being built it will also help but every club has challenges.
Regarding the recruits as a whole: well 19s had a win and one of the kids who played opening 2 senior games kicked 7. Gives the boys hope and a reason to celebrate. The reserves had a crack and got up! The seniors had a crack and it was really a successful day other than seniors winning.
Senior coach understands the challenge and the rebuild and it appears his up for it.

They currently haven’t got any players straight out of AFL or VFL and only 1 VFL listed player. So would you admit there recruiting has been ok! They have had injuries and that hasn’t helped them!!

On the opposite side your club was always a powerhouse from back in the day, then VFL, then BFNL. You have facilities like no other club and income stream through that sports club that no other club has. So let’s be honest is it in fact an even playing field???
But I’ve seen clubs losing that tend to argue and want to fight opposing teams. I haven’t seen none of that.

The question will be either the league helps them to rebuild or they look to move to Riddell or another league.

Hodgson was a really good appointment from the outside. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to get oandm players having a crwck at vfl as melton south as their second club. It's not going to be a 1 year build, they have to have 3-5 year plan to play finals. I don't think they needed 4 guys to play a one off for the club. Maybe 2 will sign for the remainder of the year which will be good, but if none switch I don't see the point of it

Agree about the league scheduling being poor. I think there are heap of occasions when Darley and Marsh are both home or both away. I’ll take your word for it about the 2 Melton sides.
How do you suppose the league helps South rebuild? That’s not their job, it’s the clubs job.

Hodgson was a really good appointment from the outside. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to get oandm players having a crwck at vfl as melton south as their second club. It's not going to be a 1 year build, they have to have 3-5 year plan to play finals. I don't think they needed 4 guys to play a one off for the club. Maybe 2 will sign for the remainder of the year which will be good, but if none switch I don't see the point of it
Hey Trent, I don’t think having VFL aligned players is the way forward unless you’re a 1 point local or they know someone and are really keen to come across. It serves little purpose especially as south are struggling a bit and trying to rebuild.
It’s not going to be easy..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back