BFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried Merrigan, I've been at Darley for over 40 years, have been on the committee, played and am a Life Member of the club and not once did the committe ever vote to merge. At the time of the vote my father was on the committee and not one committee voted to merge. Like I said Ballarat people are weak and take the easy option and merge instead of working hard and build a strong club.

Right so it was Bacchus Marsh that approached Darley looking for a merge?

Right so it was Bacchus Marsh that approached Darley looking for a merge?

All I know is that at the time of the 4 RDFL sides coming into the BFL people were saying that they couldn't compete with the strong Ballarat sides. Not sure who approached who but why would Darley approach the Marsh when no one wanted to merge. The only concern from Darley was how they would raise enough money to be successful and that was sorted early on with some good sponsors.

All I know is that at the time of the 4 RDFL sides coming into the BFL people were saying that they couldn't compete with the strong Ballarat sides. Not sure who approached who but why would Darley approach the Marsh when no one wanted to merge. The only concern from Darley was how they would raise enough money to be successful and that was sorted early on with some good sponsors.

As Bacchus Marsh were already in the BFL, it would hardly be them looking for a merger would it? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, you are.
You sound like you would have preferred Darley to stay in the Riddell league, and remember, they booted you out, you didn't choose to leave. Whether Darley elects to stay in the Ballarat league or not, one thing is certain, they are a much better and stronger club now then when they joined. Membership and sponsorship wise and financially. Maybe the move to the BFL has a bit to with that.

As Bacchus Marsh were already in the BFL, it would hardly be them looking for a merger would it? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, you are.
You sound like you would have preferred Darley to stay in the Riddell league, and remember, they booted you out, you didn't choose to leave. Whether Darley elects to stay in the Ballarat league or not, one thing is certain, they are a much better and stronger club now then when they joined. Membership and sponsorship wise and financially. Maybe the move to the BFL has a bit to with that.

From what I remember back then The Marsh couldn't win a game (and Redan getting beaten by over 40 goals) and were worried about us coming into the league. The only reason we had to leave RDFL is that Sunbury, Melton and Bacchus Marsh areas were getting to big for the other sides to compete with (Diggers Rest, Kilmore, Wallan and so on). It had nothing to do with coming into the BFL for our membership or sponsorship as it has always been large (finacial side of things is from a couple of people working hard to get an alliance with a pub). When we entered the BFL the RDFL sides won the first 5 premierships and so the Ballarat sides had to lift their games.

From what I remember back then The Marsh couldn't win a game (and Redan getting beaten by over 40 goals) and were worried about us coming into the league. The only reason we had to leave RDFL is that Sunbury, Melton and Bacchus Marsh areas were getting to big for the other sides to compete with (Diggers Rest, Kilmore, Wallan and so on). It had nothing to do with coming into the BFL for our membership or sponsorship as it has always been large (finacial side of things is from a couple of people working hard to get an alliance with a pub). When we entered the BFL the RDFL sides won the first 5 premierships and so the Ballarat sides had to lift their games.

I didn't say joining the league had anything to do with wanting to raise your membership & sponsorship, but that was the effect. Both quadrupled from the RDFL days. Ask your father. The BFL approached the 4 RDFL clubs to join and they decided against it until the remaining RDFL clubs voted them out. I have always been of the understanding, and if I'm wrong fair enough, that the 4 clubs believed the step up would be too great so Darley sought a merge with the Marsh and when the idea was scuttled they believed they had no option but to stay put. As I said, if that's wrong I stand corrected. You say Ballarat people are weak because two clubs, one of whom was broke but had a strong list, the other financial but no players, decided it would be better to join than die. That means they are hated for eternity by the small minded. Hated even though there is probably nobody left at the club that had anything to do with the decision to merge. A decision I imagine that wasn't taken lightly or overnight. Both clubs had probably worked as hard as any to remain viable and competetive, but with many other clubs in Ballarat chasing the same sponsorship dollar, including a VFL club and surrounding leagues CHFL, the former Lexton & Western Plains leagues, Mininera & Maryborough clubs all in the sponsor hunt and CHFL clubs in particular throwing enormous amounts of cash at players it is a bit different to the Bacchus Marsh clubs. Not saying it's easy for you to win sponsors, & yes your town is much smaller, but what other clubs are you competing with? Ballan? Both clubs have fallen victim to Hepburn poaching but no club in Australia is immune to that, but that's about it. I wouldn't even call the Wendouree/YCW thing a merger. Wendouree needed more junior teams to join the BFL and YCW would not exist today simply because of their location. Same reason Golden Point juniors are gone. I couldn't care less about East Point, or Darley for that matter, just found your post hypocritical & always find it amusing that Darley supporters are not happy unless they're hating on something or someone, usually the Ballarat clubs or the league. The fact is your club is better for having been in the BFL, whether you stay or not is up to the club and BFL will survive & evolve either way. If you want to move leagues every 20 years or so that's your choice. I'm the first to agree that the Eastern clubs have had a rough deal particularly from the tribunal in the past, but a lot of that has been brought on by themselves and I can't recall any controversies over the last couple of years. Clubs from that end have cleaned up their acts. If you don't acknowledge that your club needed to you are a fool. Footy has changed at every level, you can't play it like it was in the 80s. Grant Wright and the jnr prez Colley have done a great job with your club but posts like yours show that the chip, while in the background these days, still exists.

I didn't say joining the league had anything to do with wanting to raise your membership & sponsorship, but that was the effect. Both quadrupled from the RDFL days. Ask your father. The BFL approached the 4 RDFL clubs to join and they decided against it until the remaining RDFL clubs voted them out. I have always been of the understanding, and if I'm wrong fair enough, that the 4 clubs believed the step up would be too great so Darley sought a merge with the Marsh and when the idea was scuttled they believed they had no option but to stay put. As I said, if that's wrong I stand corrected. You say Ballarat people are weak because two clubs, one of whom was broke but had a strong list, the other financial but no players, decided it would be better to join than die. That means they are hated for eternity by the small minded. Hated even though there is probably nobody left at the club that had anything to do with the decision to merge. A decision I imagine that wasn't taken lightly or overnight. Both clubs had probably worked as hard as any to remain viable and competetive, but with many other clubs in Ballarat chasing the same sponsorship dollar, including a VFL club and surrounding leagues CHFL, the former Lexton & Western Plains leagues, Mininera & Maryborough clubs all in the sponsor hunt and CHFL clubs in particular throwing enormous amounts of cash at players it is a bit different to the Bacchus Marsh clubs. Not saying it's easy for you to win sponsors, & yes your town is much smaller, but what other clubs are you competing with? Ballan? Both clubs have fallen victim to Hepburn poaching but no club in Australia is immune to that, but that's about it. I wouldn't even call the Wendouree/YCW thing a merger. Wendouree needed more junior teams to join the BFL and YCW would not exist today simply because of their location. Same reason Golden Point juniors are gone. I couldn't care less about East Point, or Darley for that matter, just found your post hypocritical & always find it amusing that Darley supporters are not happy unless they're hating on something or someone, usually the Ballarat clubs or the league. The fact is your club is better for having been in the BFL, whether you stay or not is up to the club and BFL will survive & evolve either way. If you want to move leagues every 20 years or so that's your choice. I'm the first to agree that the Eastern clubs have had a rough deal particularly from the tribunal in the past, but a lot of that has been brought on by themselves and I can't recall any controversies over the last couple of years. Clubs from that end have cleaned up their acts. If you don't acknowledge that your club needed to you are a fool. Footy has changed at every level, you can't play it like it was in the 80s. Grant Wright and the jnr prez Colley have done a great job with your club but posts like yours show that the chip, while in the background these days, still exists.

Must hit a sore point, have I. As for quadrupled from RDFL days, do you think it's from the growth in Bacchus Marsh area or from going into the BFL. HAHAHA you make me LOL.

Thanks for the entertainment filling my day at work.
P.S. It's hard beating 24 players every week but we finally did it.

Must hit a sore point, have I. As for quadrupled from RDFL days, do you think it's from the growth in Bacchus Marsh area or from going into the BFL. HAHAHA you make me LOL.

Thanks for the entertainment filling my day at work.
P.S. It's hard beating 24 players every week but we finally did it.

Might have had something to do with the fact you came from a tin pot league.
Thanks for reinforcing my point. Still sooking about umpires, proof that some like you at your club will never change.
Still blaming umpires for choking in 2008? Yeah. Had nothing to with Travis Minns did it. You are pathetic.

Might have had something to do with the fact you came from a tin pot league.
Thanks for reinforcing my point. Still sooking about umpires, proof that some like you at your club will never change.
Still blaming umpires for choking in 2008? Yeah. Had nothing to with Travis Minns did it. You are pathetic.

I have upset you and am very sorry for that. I just went back and read all my comments and can't see why you are so upset. But as I've stated before we are different people closer to the city and people that live in Ballarat hate how we live and therefore try and bring us down to your shitty level.
You bring up choking and Redan have choked for the 3 years, can't even make the grand final after being in the top 2 for those 3 years.

BYE BYE for now.

I have upset you and am very sorry for that. I just went back and read all my comments and can't see why you are so upset. But as I've stated before we are different people closer to the city and people that live in Ballarat hate how we live and therefore try and bring us down to your shitty level.
You bring up choking and Redan have choked for the 3 years, can't even make the grand final after being in the top 2 for those 3 years.

BYE BYE for now.

Wow you are a special type of *. Redan have a woeful grand final record don't they. Just terrible. Unlike Darley's.
And you are correct. Everybody in Ballarat would love to live in Bacchus Marsh. Even if it's only for the women with monobrows and 3 ****.

Excellent post. One thing jumped out at me amidst some excellent points: in relation to clubs cleaning up their act. Don't even get me started on Dean Lupson (I know a Sunbury man, and not Darley) who while at his former club, I watched knock out a bloke before the bounce in a GF! The bloke was a cop.

I watched his form in subsequent finals in the BFL with interest.

Last edited:
Excellent post. One thing jumped out at me amidst some excellent points: in relation to clubs cleaning up their act. Don't even get me started on Dean Lupson (I know a Sunbury man, and not Darley) who while at his former club, I watched knock out a bloke before the bounce in a GF! The bloke was a cop.

I watched his form in subsequent finals in the BFL with interest.

Didn't he miss two grand finals through suspension ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried Merrigan, I've been at Darley for over 40 years, have been on the committee, played and am a Life Member of the club and not once did the committe ever vote to merge. At the time of the vote my father was on the committee and not one committee voted to merge. Like I said Ballarat people are weak and take the easy option and merge instead of working hard and build a strong club.
Ignorant response.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I believe he did in the BFL. I certainly watched him playing for Euroa in a GF in the GVFL in 1990. He went wherever prior to Sunbury, and no doubt committed the same undisciplined acts as he demonstrated in the BFL.
Anyone on here like to comment on the weekends game? or do you just want to hide behind the screens & take pot shots at each other? Who gives a continental about who did, or said what, in the last centenary between the Marsh & the Devils. I would like to know who picked the under 18 side? there were plenty of good kids left out of that side & I don't believe enough research was put into selection. The seniors were stiff to lose & it was an entertaining game,well done to all the players who were chosen to represent the Ballarat league in both games!

Anyone on here like to comment on the weekends game? or do you just want to hide behind the screens & take pot shots at each other? Who gives a continental about who did, or said what, in the last centenary between the Marsh & the Devils. I would like to know who picked the under 18 side? there were plenty of good kids left out of that side & I don't believe enough research was put into selection. The seniors were stiff to lose & it was an entertaining game,well done to all the players who were chosen to represent the Ballarat league in both games!

Thankfully we now know what you think and care about. Thanks for the input sly.

Would be hard as I guess a lot of selectors do not get to watch every team play each week. Just have to go off recommendations from the clubs. Also, they really only have the choice to pick guys who want to play, not just the best players.
Interleague does not prove which league is better, just which side picked of guys putting their hand up to play was better on the day. Saying that, the BFL side looked pretty good on paper and a good indication of the better players in the comp.

Mate, I have to say I hate the hypocrisy of blokes like you who start with comments like: 'you want to hide behind screens" and then in your criticism you do exactly the same. From my point of view some folk from the Devils and Lakers were discussing a significant incident that has become an investigation. That is important for both clubs. You quoted me after I had segued into Lupson based upon one of many relevant points merrigan made. I am not 'hiding behind a screen' but simply looking to add to a conversation. Isn't that what the forum's about?

Mate, I have to say I hate the hypocrisy of blokes like you who start with comments like: 'you want to hide behind screens" and then in your criticism you do exactly the same. From my point of view some folk from the Devils and Lakers were discussing a significant incident that has become an investigation. That is important for both clubs. You quoted me after I had segued into Lupson based upon one of many relevant points merrigan made. I am not 'hiding behind a screen' but simply looking to add to a conversation. Isn't that what the forum's about?

Not sure Slyone can be accused of hiding behind a name when many avid posters know who he is

Mate, I have to say I hate the hypocrisy of blokes like you who start with comments like: 'you want to hide behind screens" and then in your criticism you do exactly the same. From my point of view some folk from the Devils and Lakers were discussing a significant incident that has become an investigation. That is important for both clubs. You quoted me after I had segued into Lupson based upon one of many relevant points merrigan made. I am not 'hiding behind a screen' but simply looking to add to a conversation. Isn't that what the forum's about?[
I wasn't pointing the finger at you, I only replied to the last post on the forum. Yes I know the Darley, Marsh story but it just kept going & going, I thought being the interleague round, someone would mention the showcase round of the year! but NO, everyone just wanted to keep on about something that happened last century. I was informed that there were some under 18 kids from Darley, who were training with the senior squad who missed out & were not chosen for the 18 squad? don't know if it is factual, just what I was told.

Fair enough sly. For what it's worth, I believe the investigation into the Devils v Lakers incident discussed earlier might be heard tomorrow. Results. Who knows?

Last edited:
Decent effort by the rep side at the weekend, probably lacked a bit of size around the ball as the wrfl were very good at the stoppage.
BFL was good on the outside and once the side started spreading they were able stretch the WRFLs defensive structures, allowing Dez and co space to operate.
Hind was terrific prior to injury and helped steady things during an early wrfl onslaught kicking with the breeze and Slyone's man, Benny Sortino was good around the ground.

Decent effort by the rep side at the weekend, probably lacked a bit of size around the ball as the wrfl were very good at the stoppage.
BFL was good on the outside and once the side started spreading they were able stretch the WRFLs defensive structures, allowing Dez and co space to operate.
Hind was terrific prior to injury and helped steady things during an early wrfl onslaught kicking with the breeze and Slyone's man, Benny Sortino was good around the ground.

How has Benny Sortino been going this year. Big boy who competes well but doesn't take many marks and only really a ruckman. Bit of your old school ruckman type. Decent player though..

How has Benny Sortino been going this year. Big boy who competes well but doesn't take many marks and only really a ruckman. Bit of your old school ruckman type. Decent player though..
Ruckmen are almost invaluable at local level so there's no harm there, that said - he also does have plenty of time ahead of him to add additional tricks to his game.
Tbh we don't play Melton Sth for another few weeks so my exposure to him is reasonably limited but he certainly acquitted himself well at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back