Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest issue is the depth in Victorian cricket is appalling and has been for years.

The best T20 bowler in the world currently and of the last decade plays in the comp and has done for 5 years.

Last edited:

I would consider myself a cricket tragic, but in recent times I seem to have lost the connection to the game that I once had and despite a local lad playing in the BBL and got my side I have little or no interest in the BBL were once upon I time I would have watched every game and seen 2-3 live each year. There is not 1 player in the comp I want yo go see vs once upon a time Warne, Hussey, Pietersen etc

I think the big player factor is big and something the early versions benefited on. Only player i can think of to come to the BBL soon will be Warner?

Agree with the M. Marsh sentiment. As soon as the 11 are locked in the rest should be sent back and sub fielders are provided.

I think the big player factor is big and something the early versions benefited on. Only player i can think of to come to the BBL soon will be Warner?

Agree with the M. Marsh sentiment. As soon as the 11 are locked in the rest should be sent back and sub fielders are provided.
Is it though? Dale Steyn and AB De Villiers played 2 seasons ago and the crowd and TV ratings didn't really move.

Is it though? Dale Steyn and AB De Villiers played 2 seasons ago and the crowd and TV ratings didn't really move.
But they come as tokenistic players, not a large group of them here too help develop the league here. The big anticipation of Andre Russel, but since then he really hasn't done anything noteworthy. The commentators overhype him for nothing.

It's not about the fielding, 5 players are held over as "like-for-like" concussion substitutes. Maddinson, Inglis, Marsh, Neser, and Swepson were the 5 sitting around not playing BBL during the 4th Test.

Last edited:
It's not about the fielding, 5 players are held over as "like-for-like" concussion substitutes. Maddinson, Inglis, Marsh, Neser, and Swepson were the 5th sitting around not playing BBL during the 4th Test.

All would've improved the big bash significantly. I don't disagree with your post, or the need for suitable replacements but its just another dagger in the BBL.

Needs to be a better way.

How about a name change to something more professional, I'm sorry but I just can't take a competition serious with a name like "Big Bash league" what about something like "Australian T20 league" or "Australian Premier League Cricket" etc..

Piss off all the dumb gimmick sh!t and the crappy music between each ball! One of the reasons I stopped attending, Couldn't stand that deadbeat music!
New teams would help would bring some well needed energy into the league because it sure seems stale with the some teams for the past decade, preferably from reginal areas. Geelong, Newcastle, Gold Coast maybe..

The league can be revived just needs to get away from the rubbish novelty of the early days of T20 cricket. Otherwise kill it off and go back to it being a state based league where pure cricket fans will be more invested.

How about a name change to something more professional, I'm sorry but I just can't take a competition serious with a name like "Big Bash league" what about something like "Australian T20 league" or "Australian Premier League Cricket" etc..

Piss off all the dumb gimmick sh!t and the crappy music between each ball! One of the reasons I stopped attending, Couldn't stand that deadbeat music!
New teams would help would bring some well needed energy into the league because it sure seems stale with the some teams for the past decade, preferably from reginal areas. Geelong, Newcastle, Gold Coast maybe..

The league can be revived just needs to get away from the rubbish novelty of the early days of T20 cricket. Otherwise kill it off and go back to it being a state based league where pure cricket fans will be more invested.

i also feel that the young youngsters of today would still watch even if it goes state based.

uniforms have been bland until this season i also feel.

I agree with some points here.

The gimmicky s**t needs to go. Not just the name the "Big Bash League", but also all of the other elements that they've introduced since 7/Fox took over the rights. The "X-Factor Sub", "Power Surge" (just call it the powerlay) and the names of the finals such as "The Eliminator", "The Challenger", "The Knock-Out". I get that it mainly appeals to kids but, in the end, it's still a professional competition and CA are just taking the piss with those names.

I don't agree that there should be more teams, if anything, there should be less. The talent pool can barely support 8 teams let alone 10-12. Quite simply, merge the Sydney and Melbourne teams.

The other clear issue is the length. It worked much better when there were 8-games plus 3 finals and it only lasted for about 5-6 weeks. They increased it to 10 games plus finals for one year which was ok but it felt like they were pushing it. 14, and the novelty wears off about halfway through the season. This also impacts attracting top-end talent as they would much rather play in Pakistan and Bangladesh where they can play for a shorter-length of time for similar money.

Essentially, the CA had a viable product but felt like they needed it to "jazz" it up but bit off more than they could chew. They need to go back to what it made it successful. Short, sharp and shiny.

i also feel that the young youngsters of today would still watch even if it goes state based.

uniforms have been bland until this season i also feel.

The state league T20 Comp was actually starting to take off right before the BBL started. The Bushrangers were getting decent crowds helped that they were successful but overall Victorians felt connected and invested with the bushrangers!

I don’t think the split between the Stars and Renegades has worked the way they intended in Victoria it also would have no doubt alienated a lot of country fans of the Bushrangers. yeah it was a bit of fun at the beginning, but overall not many are truly invested in either club sorry.. “franchise” say like their footy team. I followed the Stars in the beginning only because of the convenience of going to the MCG for me. But to be honest I was happy to see the renegades win too. It’s not like myself or frankly any fan of either franchise has any devine hatred for either. Tbh I’ve actually grown tired of T20 Cricket I just find it unappealing now. Even the T20 World Cup last year I didn’t care for, happy Australia won but meh.. whatever.

Last edited:
T20 does have its place in cricket, it's the best mechanism for growing the game globally (just look at Afghanistan for example and how they have emerged). For those who have grown up watching test cricket, it is different in the sense that it loses its value very quickly. I don't mind the T20 WC but I struggle to get into T20Is otherwise, and I have little to no interest in the BBL these days, to the point where I'd rather watch a Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka test over a Strikers game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T20 does have its place in cricket, it's the best mechanism for growing the game globally (just look at Afghanistan for example and how they have emerged). For those who have grown up watching test cricket, it is different in the sense that it loses its value very quickly. I don't mind the T20 WC but I struggle to get into T20Is otherwise, and I have little to no interest in the BBL these days,, to the point where I'd rather watch a Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka test over a Strikers game.

Sure has its place, especially in developing cricket nations like you say, and in domestic leagues. But with so many leagues, yearly Tournaments and pointless internationals and series the format can become very overwhelming. The ODI format kinda suffered from this in the late 90’s early 2000’s with so many pointless series and international matches, One of the reasons why I think T20 took off so quickly. It was fast didn’t need a whole day to finish and of course big hits! Where as the one day game was becoming predictably patient and at times pedestrian like in approach.

I find that T20 is getting to the point in its life where one day cricket was 20 years ago and like one day cricket did needs to reinvent itself.

Last edited:
Sure has its place, especially in developing cricket nations like you say, and in domestic leagues. But with so many Endless leagues, yearly Tournaments and pointless internationals and series the format can become very underwhelming. The ODI format Kinda suffered from this in the late 90’s early 2000’s with so many pointless series and international matches, One of the reasons why I think T20 took off so quickly. It was quick fast didn’t need a whole day to finish and of course big hits! Where as the one day game was becoming predictably patient and at times pedestrian like in approach.

I find that T20 is getting to the point in its life where one day cricket was 20 years ago and like one day cricket did needs to reinvent itself.
I still really enjoy 50 over cricket and would love for the tri-series or even better WSC to return after the Tests.

I agree with some points here.

The gimmicky sh*t needs to go. Not just the name the "Big Bash League", but also all of the other elements that they've introduced since 7/Fox took over the rights. The "X-Factor Sub", "Power Surge" (just call it the powerlay) and the names of the finals such as "The Eliminator", "The Challenger", "The Knock-Out". I get that it mainly appeals to kids but, in the end, it's still a professional competition and CA are just taking the piss with those names.

But does it?

also, the names dont really mean anything. in years or decades to come, someone will say remember when the Gades (aker renegades) couldnt defend 300 in the challenger?

is that a semi final? or prelim?

and how about preliminary finals? 2 x semi finals leads to a final final?

13The100.ashx

Get the kiwis involved would be a smart decision. Wellington and Auckland.
Won't help CA as no casual fan in Australia cares about NZs good players let alone their domestic players. Won't help NZ as they have their own comp that it will undermine.

I feel like international T20s could never be taken seriously after that first T20 we played against NZ all those years ago, with the wigs etc, was pretty much a pisstake - then it became a legit format, and it took Australia years to actually take it seriously. The gimmicky stuff around T20 is a turn off for me, but it's clearly heavily aimed at an audience that is definitely not me, but probably turns serious fans off the league.

I agree it needs a rebrand and get rid of some of the novelty crap, the goal should be to increase the standard of the product itself, and perhaps people will take it more seriously and start attending matches again.

Last edited:
the tri-series
People have some serious rose-coloured glasses about that. No-one turned up to the non-Australia matches. I know folks in Perth used to get pissy about always being forced to have one in the measly two fixtures we received.

The other side is teams aren't keen on hanging round for a summer to be a third wheel in an ODI comp. It'd be very hard to fixture in our current heavily scheduled environment.

I feel like international T20s could never be taken seriously after that first T20 we played against NZ all those years ago, with the wigs etc, was pretty much a pisstake - then it became a legit format, and it took Australia years to actually take it seriously. The gimmicky stuff around T20 is a turn off for me, but it's clearly heavily aimed at an audience that is definitely not me, but probably turns serious fans off the league.

I agree it needs a rebrand and get rid of some of the novelty crap, the goal should be to increase the standard of the product itself, and perhaps people will take it more seriously and start attending matches again.
the golden cap or something like that

People have some serious rose-coloured glasses about that. No-one turned up to the non-Australia matches. I know folks in Perth used to get pissy about always being forced to have one in the measly two fixtures we received.

The other side is teams aren't keen on hanging round for a summer to be a third wheel in an ODI comp. It'd be very hard to fixture in our current heavily scheduled environment.
The ODI tri-series leading into Australian Open just reminds me of summer school holidays, good times. Loved the tri-series, but yeah, no way it can work now with the packed schedule.

I honestly think this is starting to change, as there are now larger groups on English, Kiwi, and Indian fans settled in Australia. For example, have the Ashes, then the tri-series (can be either T20 or ODI), and then 2 Tests again NZ at the end of the summer.

To your first point, most limited overs matches (but not tests) in Australia these days attract just as many if not more opposition fans than Australian fans. Pretty much all the major sides apart from maybe South Africa and the Windies have a good level of support in Australia now. Besides, TV ratings would still be healthy if broadcast on FTA tv. These games would also have strong interest from subcontinent TV providers if the series involves India/Pak/SL/Bangas. I don’t see neutral games as being as big of an issue as they were 15 years ago.

A hypothetical tri-series need not be some lengthy tournament either. The 2004/05 edition with the Windies and Pakistan was wrapped up in three weeks, finals included. We’ve already got sides coming out here at the back end of summer for 3 or 5 game T20/ODI series, not a huge scheduling stretch to get a couple of sides here at the same time for three weeks as opposed to two weeks at separate times.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back