BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Gold Coast? Canberra should be clear #1 but don't see what Gold Coast the graveyard of professional sports teams offers.

Google "Gold Coast population" then "Geelong population" and you'll have the answer. The Suns and Titans aren't dead.

Why Gold Coast? Canberra should be clear #1 but don't see what Gold Coast the graveyard of professional sports teams offers.

Is it really a graveyard of professional sports teams?

Population has really grown now and unlike a few decades back (when those sports teams died) there is now a whole generation of people who grew up on the Gold Coast.

And it has a suitable stadium.

Geelong on the other hand is a very small, economically weak city.

It'd be nice if Associate nation players were excluded, or in a separate category, from International signings

You could see teams taking a punt on Mohammad Shahzad, Kevin O'Brien, George Dockrell...

Could deepen the pool

I like that idea. Nabi from Afghanistan is a pretty decent t20 player

Geelong may be struggling, but what it can do is fill a stadium. T20 game v Sri Lanka is 80% sold out, and it's over a month away.

Geelong may be struggling, but what it can do is fill a stadium. T20 game v Sri Lanka is 80% sold out, and it's over a month away.

I think you'll fine that most small cities who have never hosted an international before would sell out a one off Australian international match.

Population has really grown now and unlike a few decades back (when those sports teams died) there is now a whole generation of people who grew up on the Gold Coast.

And it has a suitable stadium.

And the Gold Coast isn't?
A large amount of people still commute up to Brisbane for work & its main industry is still hospitality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure the talent isn't really there but would the T20 watching public really know the difference? Most of us watch a decent amount of cricket. I used to attend Shield, ING Cup back in the day etc. I've seen what that talent was like. I haven't been to either for years tbh though. Thing is spreading talent around is hard. Doing it effectively will still mean they have a decent comp but we've already seen a big brother, little brother situation with the Stars/Renegades and Sixers/Thunder IMO. We'd see a similar one with Heat/GC IMO whilst Canberra may attract a few ex-ACT boys (Behrendorff, Carters, Floros, Dean, Haddin - if still playing) but tbh I doubt they'd attract enough to be competitive (sure money will talk for one or two others).

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they want a team in Canberra or the Gold Coast then disband the Renegades, have 1 awesome Melbourne team then start a new franchise in one of those cities

The talent pool is not there for more teams

Never gonna happen, the stars v renegades mcg clash is already the biggest crowd puller on the calendar and has gone past Boxing Day, would have hit 90k if not for the weather this year, the return match at Etihad goes for 40-45k, they aren't getting rid of this, both teams are pulling great individual crowds as well, stars had 40k last time out and renegades had 27k.

This is such a poxy argument against expansion that I can't believe people actually say it.

Have you not seen the quality of players currently getting a game? How are they supposed to fill another 2 squads?

Where are these 30 quality players hiding that cant get a game now but are good enough? If Lawford, Gannon, Rimmington, Stevenson can get games now, what are they the bowling attack for the new team? Thats just some duds from 2 teams.

This is a country with 6 state sides already filling 8 big bash sides and you cant increase internationals as they are hard to come by and would probably push the finances if you started increasing salary caps

So please do enlighten us on where they are getting these players from?

Just ******* import them. There's no rule (as far as I know) saying the foreign players need to be international team level.

Just ******* import them. There's no rule (as far as I know) saying the foreign players need to be international team level.

Then how do you know how good they are?
Some BBL players this year have hardly played state cricket. So their is young talent about. BBL has let some show their wares. I'm sure CA knows this, so more games first then maybe more teams.

And the salary cap will be going up by a lot with the new broadcast contract by the way. So the Twenty20 haters/limiters have that future irritation to cry about.

And the salary cap will be going up by a lot with the new broadcast contract by the way. So the Twenty20 haters/limiters have that future irritation to cry about.
Its like NBL or SEABL. You bring in overseas players to attract spectatorz & make a difference by their ability & class. Basketball has been doing it for years. Cricket hasnt. Where do you get more quality players?

Back