BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just ******* import them. There's no rule (as far as I know) saying the foreign players need to be international team level.

So your answer is there are no more quality players and you want the big bash to be filled with park cricketers?

Why is there any need for expansion anyway? It currently fits in perfectly with school holidays abd has shown no one cares pre xmas and you cant go any later in Jan

So your answer is there are no more quality players and you want the big bash to be filled with park cricketers?

Why is there any need for expansion anyway? It currently fits in perfectly with school holidays abd has shown no one cares pre xmas and you cant go any later in Jan
If they bring in another team an option would be to get rid of the double up game.

Not sure if CA would allow only one Melbourne and Sydney derby tho.

If they bring in another team an option would be to get rid of the double up game.

Not sure if CA would allow only one Melbourne and Sydney derby tho.

That would be insane to only have your biggest game every 2nd season only. If they did they may as well just get rid of the Gades. 1 Melbourne team we would be unstoppable!

That would be insane to only have your biggest game every 2nd season only. If they did they may as well just get rid of the Gades. 1 Melbourne team we would be unstoppable!

Sydney v Melbourne every Grandfinal. Gee that'd be an exciting competition & it'd last for, um, um, how long would it be before the public got sick of it & walked away from a BBL like that?

Before our domestic T20 became the BBL only NSW and Vic teams were winning it. Splitting NSW and Vic into two teams has given the rest of us a chance to win imo.
It's more franchised now. If they only had one side a fair few of their players would be poached interstate anyway.

I just remember the moaners who carried on when the BBL started. It wasnt state based & many on BF hated that.

CA have created a successful club based model which is much more competitive & attractive to a whole new audience. BBL is the biggest boost to cricket in Australia since the Packer cricket revolution.

BBL is commercially attractive. Far more than any other competition below the international level that CA have ever had. CA have proceeded sensibly to date. BBL6 & introduced WBBL now in its second year. They have managed change better than any other sports organisation IMO.

Five years in and only one (losing) final between them. I doubt the other teams would be shuddering at the thought. If anything, the double ups compromise the competition and should ultimately be abandoned anyway.

Never gonna happen, the stars v renegades mcg clash is already the biggest crowd puller on the calendar and has gone past Boxing Day, would have hit 90k if not for the weather this year, the return match at Etihad goes for 40-45k, they aren't getting rid of this, both teams are pulling great individual crowds as well, stars had 40k last time out and renegades had 27k.

Not to mention that ratings for the Big Bash in Melbourne are bigger than everywhere else - also true for every Big Bash match - but even more so for Renegades/Stars matches. Ratings for the Big Bash are on average 66% higher in Melbourne than Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five years in and only one (losing) final between them. I doubt the other teams would be shuddering at the thought. If anything, the double ups compromise the competition and should ultimately be abandoned anyway.

So do you think a full home & away fixture would work? Would it fit in the time period that CA seem to be aiming at, the pre & post Xmas window.?

So do you think a full home & away fixture would work? Would it fit in the time period that CA seem to be aiming at, the pre & post Xmas window.?
Can't imagine you could get a full home and away season in, especially if the expand the number of teams. That said, I'd be happy with double headers most days, make Perth and Adelaide the late games predominantly. Might test people's patience, but would avoid the situation we seem to have most seasons where there is very little difference between first and about sixth.

Can't imagine you could get a full home and away season in, especially if the expand the number of teams. That said, I'd be happy with double headers most days, make Perth and Adelaide the late games predominantly. Might test people's patience, but would avoid the situation we seem to have most seasons where there is very little difference between first and about sixth.
On the contrary, not many dead rubbers can only be a good thing.

• KFC Twenty20 Big Bash Title Wins – (4): 2005/06, 2006/07, 2007/08, 2009/10

4/6 with 1 runner up title previous to becoming 2 teams

I'm not considering more teams as yet.

Just wondering if you think the current teams can fit a home & away fixture in the current 6 weeks window?

Could do triple headers on the weekend, but I guess that would conflict with the tv audience.
I think the bigger issue would be the fact that the whole appeal of T20 cricket is based around it only takes 3 hours, and having 3 games in a row kind of counteracts that.

Could do triple headers on the weekend, but I guess that would conflict with the tv audience.

Hmmmm. Maybe just leave it roughly as it is. Currently pretty successful. Maybe add 2 games each. It would still be an uneven fixture, but no biggy. Its all about entertainment. Adding a couple of games each would allow games in those regional areas.

Hmmmm. Maybe just leave it roughly as it is. Currently pretty successful. Maybe add 2 games each. It would still be an uneven fixture, but no biggy. Its all about entertainment. Adding a couple of games each would allow games in those regional areas.

If your regional area venue didn't have floodlights, it could be the afternoon game.

Yeah, you could increase it to 10 games. The fixture would be no more uneven than it is now. Only a few double headers required. Build it up slowly.

Back