BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe you could play a cricket game at the home of the Newcastle Jets/Newcastle knights?

Have you considered ground size? The size of an NRL playing area is 100 metres + 10 metres end zones at each end, so 120 metres, by 68 metres. Add a bit for grass around the edge.
Hitting sixes over the grandstand would become a bit monotonous. If not real dangerous sitting in the grandstand.
So, no.

If there was anywhere else in Victoria capable of hosting cricket the Bushrangers wouldn't be playing so many shield games in Alice Springs (which for some stupid reason will probably get some BBL games now despite only having 25,000 people).

In Victoria it is Geelong who have a ground because of the AFL and possibly the new Ballarat stadium when it gets done.
New South Wales has Canberra. Newcastle has a first class standard ground which probably isn't up to scratch for Newcastle team but may be deemed sufficient for one off matches (plus the prospect of one of a match a year and possibly even some international like Geelong could get government investment into a stadium in Newcastle). Newcastle itself is a pretty sizeable city with the Hunter Valley having a larger population than Tassie and with plenty of other country towns within driving distance.

Wollongong probably not.

Queensland has three cities with first class standard cities (outside of Brisbane) - Cairns, Townsville and Mackay (weather is a serious concern for all three) but the extra match will almost certainly go to Gold Coast.

Hobart will obviously bring the extra match to Launceston.

There is no where else in South Australia that can host so the options for Adelaide would be Darwin (weather is a major concern) and for some reason probably Alice Springs.

Western Australia has no possible candidates. Even if there was a ground in Mandurah, more people from the Peel area would be able to watch a match at the Perth stadium than in Mandurah anyway.

I think this may be in 2 years or so but I reckon Cricket Australia would consider an 'international round' if that 5th game is successful.

The IPL played a season, in South Africa in IPL 2.

Could see something along the lines of 5 home fixtures, 5 away fixtures chucked in with an 'international round'. Pick 4 countries or developing markets where you could get cricket played: India (say Mumbai), New Zealand (say Auckland), USA(say New York) and China(Shanghai similiar to what Port Adelaide are doing in the AFL).

The IPL(played a season in South Africa), CPL (played games in Miami last season), and PSL (Play most of their season in the UAE) are 3 domestic leagues that have gone outside their 'own countries' and its only a matter of time before it happens to the Australian Big Bash.

I think this may be in 2 years or so but I reckon Cricket Australia would consider an 'international round' if that 5th game is successful.

The IPL played a season, in South Africa in IPL 2.

Could see something along the lines of 5 home fixtures, 5 away fixtures chucked in with an 'international round'. Pick 4 countries or developing markets where you could get cricket played: India (say Mumbai), New Zealand (say Auckland), USA(say New York) and China(Shanghai similiar to what Port Adelaide are doing in the AFL).

The IPL(played a season in South Africa), CPL (played games in Miami last season), and PSL (Play most of their season in the UAE) are 3 domestic leagues that have gone outside their 'own countries' and its only a matter of time before it happens to the Australian Big Bash.

For what purpose.

IPL had to do it for security reasons.
PSL had to do it because internationals don't want to play in Pakistan.

CPL did it because the West Indies is a tiny market and even a tiny fraction of the USA is good for them.

India and New Zealand obviously aren't growth markets and have their own domestic leagues.

The whole point of the Big Bash is to get more kids playing cricket, make cricket more attractive to 17-18 year olds who might go to AFL or NRL instead and to diversity beyond the traditional Anglo-Celtic + Commonwealth Immigrant base.

4 games at Perth Stadium and one as a heritage round at the WACA. ;)

8 extra games per season hey... CA are really considering bringing in a ninth team aren't they.

I actually think thats a great idea. I mean I've just been reading that they will keep the WACA for smaller fixtures e.g tests against Bangladesh, minnows.
For what purpose.

IPL had to do it for security reasons.
PSL had to do it because internationals don't want to play in Pakistan.

CPL did it because the West Indies is a tiny market and even a tiny fraction of the USA is good for them.

India and New Zealand obviously aren't growth markets and have their own domestic leagues.

The whole point of the Big Bash is to get more kids playing cricket, make cricket more attractive to 17-18 year olds who might go to AFL or NRL instead and to diversity beyond the traditional Anglo-Celtic + Commonwealth Immigrant base.

I just think once they conquer the Australian market, which they are doing at a rapid rate, they may look to help it grow into other markets. No doubt cracking the US and Chinese markets are 2 of the most lucrative markets to do so. Playing games internationally anywhere I think would be a great promotion. The Big Bash has already got worldwide exposure and I don't think its a bad thing to play a few games overseas. I think its more about growing the Big Bash Brand in any way shape or form.

CA

Money%20Bags%20gcg%20version%20copy%20GIF.gif

How does Australian cricket benefit?

Does the extra game played have to necessarily benefit Australian cricket? In a way its about promoting cricket into new regions. There is talk of cricket being introduced into the 2020 and 2024 Olympics, I guess by introducing it slowly into new markets so they can see the game is a huge benefit. There are some sports I watch at the Olympics once every 4 years and don't know much background behind it.

Whats the reason why the play AFL games in New Zealand and now China? its to gain a slight increase in market share of the product. To think about if you could somehow get 1% market share interest of the game in China, that was would attract 13,500,000 people into the game. Imagine you have a scenario where people worldwide or Asia want to go to Shanghai to watch a Big Bash game. It would be unchartered territory. Its a bit like Manchester United playing Real Madrid in America. The bad side is , its 1 less game played in Australia.

Does the extra game played have to necessarily benefit Australian cricket? In a way its about promoting cricket into new regions. There is talk of cricket being introduced into the 2020 and 2024 Olympics, I guess by introducing it slowly into new markets so they can see the game is a huge benefit. There are some sports I watch at the Olympics once every 4 years and don't know much background behind it.

Whats the reason why the play AFL games in New Zealand and now China? its to gain a slight increase in market share of the product. To think about if you could somehow get 1% market share interest of the game in China, that was would attract 13,500,000 people into the game. Imagine you have a scenario where people worldwide or Asia want to go to Shanghai to watch a Big Bash game. It would be unchartered territory. Its a bit like Manchester United playing Real Madrid in America. The bad side is , its 1 less game played in Australia.

The Big Bash exists soley to benefit CA and pursue CA's strategic objectives. In fact CA deliberately picked the more expensive option (CA and the state associations covered all the substantial startup costs - which at this point it hasn't made back yet) rather than private ownership so that CA could retain full control.

Those objectives are to cement crickets spot near the top of the Australian sporting line-up, keep more young talent (a massive issue in VIC and SA), get more kids playing cricket and diversify the cricket fanbase.

That is the reason we will have the regional games (a match in Geelong or Ballarat would be less profitable than an additional match in Melbourne).

Plus recent history would suggest that CA is at best completely indifferent to growing the game internatiobally given the whole Big Three thing, the proposal for divisions in international cricket and the fact that we actively supported reducing the number of countries in the world cup.

If there was anywhere else in Victoria capable of hosting cricket the Bushrangers wouldn't be playing so many shield games in Alice Springs (which for some stupid reason will probably get some BBL games now despite only having 25,000 people).

In Victoria it is Geelong who have a ground because of the AFL and possibly the new Ballarat stadium when it gets done.
New South Wales has Canberra. Newcastle has a first class standard ground which probably isn't up to scratch for Newcastle team but may be deemed sufficient for one off matches (plus the prospect of one of a match a year and possibly even some international like Geelong could get government investment into a stadium in Newcastle). Newcastle itself is a pretty sizeable city with the Hunter Valley having a larger population than Tassie and with plenty of other country towns within driving distance.

Wollongong probably not.

Queensland has three cities with first class standard cities (outside of Brisbane) - Cairns, Townsville and Mackay (weather is a serious concern for all three) but the extra match will almost certainly go to Gold Coast.

There is no where else in South Australia that can host so the options for Adelaide would be Darwin (weather is a major concern) and for some reason probably Alice Springs.

Western Australia has no possible candidates. Even if there was a ground in Mandurah, more people from the Peel area would be able to watch a match at the Perth stadium than in Mandurah anyway.
Think New Guinea wants a few games. Lets move the whole competition up there.........

Does the extra game played have to necessarily benefit Australian cricket? In a way its about promoting cricket into new regions.
Because only Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Hobart play cricket. Only those cities. No one else outside of those cities plays cricket or has heard of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So two of the boundaries might be a little short...
A soccer pitch is 105m x 68m (with 3 metre buffer zones which would be maintained)

34 metres square and 52.5 down the ground? You'd get 600 runs for the match

A soccer pitch is 105m x 68m (with 3 metre buffer zones which would be maintained)

34 metres square and 52.5 down the ground? You'd get 600 runs for the match
I watched a few games of the cricket at Eden Park in Auckland and have been to international cricket in New Zealand. Some of the boundaries there are around 45 metres.

I watched a few games of the cricket at Eden Park in Auckland and have been to international cricket in New Zealand. Some of the boundaries there are around 45 metres.

Eden Park was designed with the possibility of hosting cricket in mind (which it barely qualifies for).

Newcastle's stadium wasn't

Speaking of Launceston, a great crowd tonight for the Ricky Ponting foundation cricket match, a figure of 10,120 for a charity game.

FWIW there's actually plans to replace Eden Park for cricket and keep it for rugby. Can't remember the details and can't remember if it's actually going ahead but I remember reading about it. Shows it is seen as a bit of a problem.

Newcastle has hosted first class cricket at a venue different to the rugby stadium so that ground has been deemed good enough for the players in the past. Obviously first class cricket and BBL are very different in terms of spectator numbers. Having said that I was at Hagley Oval in Christchurch about six months after the World Cup and it basically has one grandstand and a raised hill. The only evidence the venue was even remotely first class standard was a bench commemorating the opening of the World Cup. The ground with temporary seating was able to host around 20,000 people and was deemed good enough for a World Cup opener (agree it's more to do with a feel good story etc but still was good enough). If this venue can be done up to host international cricket every season then I see no reason they couldn't find a place to do it in Newcastle either. Don't know whether they could do a similar transformation at the ground that hosted first class games but Newcastle has more people than Christchurch does and Gosford is only just over an hour away. Host in on a weekend and they'd get 15-20,000 there easily IMO, that's if they can manufacture an appropriate stadium from what is in Newcastle.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW there's actually plans to replace Eden Park for cricket and keep it for rugby. Can't remember the details and can't remember if it's actually going ahead but I remember reading about it. Shows it is seen as a bit of a problem.

Newcastle has hosted first class cricket at a venue different to the rugby stadium so that ground has been deemed good enough for the players in the past. Obviously first class cricket and BBL are very different in terms of spectator numbers. Having said that I was at Hagley Oval in Christchurch about six months after the World Cup and it basically has one grandstand and a raised hill. The only evidence the venue was even remotely first class standard was a bench commemorating the opening of the World Cup. The ground with temporary seating was able to host around 20,000 people and was deemed good enough for a World Cup opener (agree it's more to do with a feel good story etc but still was good enough). If this venue can be done up to host international cricket every season then I see no reason they couldn't find a place to do it in Newcastle either. Don't know whether they could do a similar transformation at the ground that hosted first class games but Newcastle has more people than Christchurch does and Gosford is only just over an hour away. Host in on a weekend and they'd get 15-20,000 there easily IMO, that's if they can manufacture an appropriate stadium from what is in Newcastle.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't imagine that cricket in Auckland would really need the full Eden Park capacity anyway.

Back