Competition BigFooty AFL DESIGNATHON V3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
9 years ago a competition came to this board that changed the way people thought of competitions.

7 years ago a second version ran to much fanfare.

Then it went away. Lost to the sands of time, never forgotten, though often requested.

Until now, because...

tenor.gif

6VgdyeS.png

Welcome to the BigFooty.com AFL DESIGNATHON Version 3.0

Background

The idea is taken from the LOGOLYMPIAD on Chris Creamer’s Sports Logo Community forum and is a design contest for all the members of this board.

Following the success of the first two DESIGNATHONS, the competition has returned for a third run. Unfortunately unlike the second version, this one will not feature physical prizes as no arrangement could be made for this to occur.

Events will cover various categories and will vary in difficulty. The scenario and set of criteria for each event will be chosen in advance by me, and all necessary information will be posted at the start of each event.

Events

The DESIGNATHON will consist of 10 events, one from each of the following categories:

• Even back then
  • Whole New World
  • And we are back
  • Remember when
  • East of Eden?
  • Hey Low
  • Coming to the city
  • Oh Boy
  • Next
  • Something Something Something Question Mark

NOTE: These are the event categories only. Event order, and clubs/locations involved will be announced at the time of posting each event.

Events will run for two full weeks, with events starting every week (so one event will be in week 2 when the next event starts). Events will start on Saturdays, and will finish two weeks later on the Saturday. Polls will be posted on Sundays and run for 1 week.

Rules

Specific criteria will vary by event, but there is an overlying set of rules for the DESIGNATHON:

• Any registered board member may enter;
  • Participants are limited to ONE entry per event. You may enter as many or as few events as you like;
  • All entries must be your own original work, unless specified. For example, you may use existing logos and images if it is part of the event's criteria. You may not use anyone else's work for any part of your entry;
  • You may use any template you like that features only the kit elements (please no entries that feature players/silhouettes), though it is preferred that you use one that makes your entry anonymous (can be done by using templates that are used by other members of the board). Remember, unlike the league competitions on this board, this competition is about the designs, not the presentation.
  • For historical consistency, all kits need to feature the number 22 on the back should you decide to show this part of the kit.
  • Entries should be submitted on a white or grey background with no other design/presentation elements.
  • I will serve as the contest's referee and will answer any questions about rules and event criteria. Questions must be asked within the event thread, and will be answered within the same event thread. I will NOT respond to any questions about an event in a PM, instant message or personal email, so don't contact me directly. I will be the judge to any disputes.

Anyone caught cheating or otherwise compromising the integrity of the DESIGNATHON will be disqualified, stripped of awards and/or banished from future participation.

Submitting your entries

Failure to follow the guidelines could result in your entry being inadvertently (or intentionally) excluded from judging.

To save having a mass of private messages each entries image link must be emailed to bigfootydesignathon (@) gmail (dot) com prior to the set deadline. Subject line should be the event number and your username (Eg: Craegus Event 1). Once you submit your entry, it is considered final.

Do not include your name or any other personal identifiers on your submission. Also, do not watermark your work. You are expected to keep the identity of your entry anonymous until the end of the event. If you think you know the identity of another designer, keep it to yourself. Anyone who exposes the identity of themselves or anyone else will be DQ'd.

I will NOT contact you if your entry is wrong, therefore make sure that you comply to these guidelines before submitting your entry.

Judging/Awards

The voting will be open to public voting once the event is officially over. Once the finalists have been posted in the voting thread, voting will be open for 1 week.

Members may vote once per event and may not vote for their own entry. You may not disclose the identity of any of the designers of the entries until voting closes.

In the event of a tie, a tie breaker vote will be conducted to determine a winner; this vote will run for 3 days.

What's at stake

A Champions avartar will be presented to the top overall winners at the end of the DESIGNATHON and will be determined by total points from weighted results - 3 points for each win, 2 for each second, and 1 for each third place.

Winners will be sent the avartars for use if they choose to do so. Please do not link to the images, save them and upload them yourselves.

A complete list of event-by-event winners and overall standings will be posted in this thread and updated at the close of each event.

The party starts this Saturday. So get ready.

Event 1 Poll now live

6 entries to start, would have liked to have had more, but it is a start, hopefullt for event 2 onwards we can increase the number of entrants.

Also one note, event 4 will not be going up next week. The event has a specific theme and it more fitting for being posted the week following (hopefully). Also I do not want to be a jinx with the theme, so it should go live on Saturday 8 November.

Before I say what has to unfortunately be said, I would like to thank those who submitted entries for Events 1 and 2.

Secondly, for the two people who did submit their entries into Event 2, they will be held onto just incase a poll does go up at some point.

But now to the part that I didn't think would happen, but has.

Due to what seems like complete disinterest in this competition I have made the sad decision to suspend the Designathon for an indefinite period of time. Following Event 1 when I had 6 entries, Event 2 only received 2 (one of which was during the extension week) and Event 3 has received zero entries. With that there is no point continuing posting events as I cannot foresee any change in this.

I have to say that I am quite disappointed with this, over the years since the last Designathon, many people have asked for it to come back, or at least hinted at wanting it back. So after much thought I decided that during this vary difficult year that the Designathon may be the thing that helps people get creative and have some fun with "What If" scenarios, but it seems that I was the only one who really thought this.

What disappoints me the most is that the events that will likely not see the light of day were going to be quite fun and for some play around with potential global situations, or scenarios that people on here would see as being quite possible, but far away from anything that we would ever want to see. And on top of that I has subtly hinted at the final events theme throughout the other 9 events and was to conclude this version with an event that would have had a very special place in some of our hearts, be it positive or negative.

For now I will not reveal the events that have not been used yet, but may do so sometime in the future depending on whether this starts up again or not.

So with that, for the first time ever, and what may very well be the last time, the Designathon will not proceed any further for now, and has been suspended indefinitely.

UTgzBSJ.png

Before I say what has to unfortunately be said, I would like to thank those who submitted entries for Events 1 and 2.

Secondly, for the two people who did submit their entries into Event 2, they will be held onto just incase a poll does go up at some point.

But now to the part that I didn't think would happen, but has.

Due to what seems like complete disinterest in this competition I have made the sad decision to suspend the Designathon for an indefinite period of time. Following Event 1 when I had 6 entries, Event 2 only received 2 (one of which was during the extension week) and Event 3 has received zero entries. With that there is no point continuing posting events as I cannot foresee any change in this.

I have to say that I am quite disappointed with this, over the years since the last Designathon, many people have asked for it to come back, or at least hinted at wanting it back. So after much thought I decided that during this vary difficult year that the Designathon may be the thing that helps people get creative and have some fun with "What If" scenarios, but it seems that I was the only one who really thought this.

What disappoints me the most is that the events that will likely not see the light of day were going to be quite fun and for some play around with potential global situations, or scenarios that people on here would see as being quite possible, but far away from anything that we would ever want to see. And on top of that I has subtly hinted at the final events theme throughout the other 9 events and was to conclude this version with an event that would have had a very special place in some of our hearts, be it positive or negative.

For now I will not reveal the events that have not been used yet, but may do so sometime in the future depending on whether this starts up again or not.

So with that, for the first time ever, and what may very well be the last time, the Designathon will not proceed any further for now, and has been suspended indefinitely.

UTgzBSJ.png

So.... I win?

In all seriousness, its a real shame. I can see that you've put a heap of effort into it, and it has always been a fondly remembered comp on this board. Sadly, the interest in weekly comps has really waned it recent years. Would have loved to have seen this one play out.

So.... I win?

In all seriousness, its a real shame. I can see that you've put a heap of effort into it, and it has always been a fondly remembered comp on this board. Sadly, the interest in weekly comps has really waned it recent years. Would have loved to have seen this one play out.

Sadly no you don't. 10 Events must be completed for any champion to be crowned.

Yeah I know, all I can hope is enough people reconsider and voice their want for it to run and intent to enter and I can get it running again.

Arr fu** and I just finished my new designathon specific template.

Get enough people to want to be involved, and it has the chance to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back