BigFooty on ABC Media Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The interesting thing is that MediaWatch knows Bigfooty exists, yet it considers the battle for football media to be between Herald Sun and AFL media.

A Herald Sun or AFL Media exclusive's core content will continue to be up on Bigfooty in a non-quote form within 5 minutes, free as a bird.

The interesting thing is that MediaWatch knows Bigfooty exists, yet it considers the battle for football media to be between Herald Sun and AFL media.

A Herald Sun or AFL Media exclusive's core content will continue to be up on Bigfooty in a non-quote form within 5 minutes, free as a bird.

The bold is a massively important statement in the debate of future online content. If you look at the States a couple of months ago and the SOPA debate, I can see legislation eventually being brought in that will copyright content and either the webmaster/website or the person who copy pastas content from behind a paywall to be held liable for copyright infringement.

It's the same as advertising streaming sites now. Big no-no unfortunately.

The bold is a massively important statement in the debate of future online content. If you look at the States a couple of months ago and the SOPA debate, I can see legislation eventually being brought in that will copyright content and either the webmaster/website or the person who copy pastas content from behind a paywall to be held liable for copyright infringement.

It's the same as advertising streaming sites now. Big no-no unfortunately.

Until such time as that happens stop rabbiting on about it.:(

Thinking about it your probably a HUN journo .... even more :mad: now

Interesting isn't it. The main reason I go to half the media sites is because of a link from Bigfooty. Rarely now do I bother following a Hun link now because of its pay wall.

Problem with Big Footy and news is you get morons who read a headline or one sentence in an article and believe that is fact and the only fact. The amount of time I read comments treating as gospel truth one quoted line that may be entirely out if context...

Problem with Big Footy and news is you get morons who read a headline or one sentence in an article and believe that is fact and the only fact. The amount of time I read comments treating as gospel truth one quoted line that may be entirely out if context...
Probably about as bad as the crap that gets written in said articles anyway.

The last time BigFooty made it on media watch was when a fake article about Ricky Mott (I think that was his name) making a come back to AFL level made it in to the West Australian and then it was picked up by the Melbourne media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL are going to have their own online news service that is supposedly 'credible'.

Is anyone else seeing through that smokescreen ??

Of course.

Did i hear correctly when they said it would employee 100 people plus 40 journos?!

I don't think aggregators like The Huffington Post have been concerned about online copyright in the US, and similarly Bigfooty has nothing to fear from reporting the core content of an article (eg. Butcher injured, Scully signs with GWS); just wholesale reproduction, which Bigfooty already doesn't allow.

Its why there are laws governing fair use, and also why you can't copyright news.

I don't think aggregators like The Huffington Post have been concerned about online copyright in the US, and similarly Bigfooty has nothing to fear from reporting the core content of an article (eg. Butcher injured, Scully signs with GWS); just wholesale reproduction, which Bigfooty already doesn't allow.

Its why there are laws governing fair use, and also why you can't copyright news.

This gets to the heart of it. News is news and is not owned by anyone, no matter how big a stick they carry.

Just because, say, Mark Robinson is the first journo to find out that a coach has been sacked and the club has not yet held a press conference to announce it, this does not give the Herald Sun exclusive rights to this knowledge. It does not prevent, say, The Age or MMM from getting wind of the story and reporting on it also.

As you say, it's the entirety of content from the Herald Sun newspaper or website that is the intellectual property at stake. Attempts to stop BigFooty and other sites from discussing such news at all would a) alienate a huge section of their potential readership and create significant ill will in the footy and broader communities and b) would ultimately fail. It's akin to telling someone watching TV in their living room not to talk to their partner about what they are watching. Dressing it up as some kind of copyright infringement doesn't change this reality.

Blatant copy-pasting aside, the new pay wall already provides the Herald Sun with adequate protection by ensuring that those accessing the story have paid for it. Providing people don't discover workarounds en masse!

On a personal level there is no way I will pay for access to their website, despite having been a fairly regular visitor to the free site. I stopped buying the newspaper itself several years ago due to the massive fluctuation in the quality of reporting and editorial content on offer. And this is just the footy section - the remainder of the paper is the print equivalent of Today Tonight and A Current Affair rolled up with some advertising. It too often leans towards attention seeking, lowest common denominator content that appeals to insecurities and fears. But that is only my opinion and millions disagree, buying the paper regularly. Fair enough too.

The question being pondered by those of us considering the pay wall is this... what are the alternatives for footy news?

I now pay for Foxtel for the first time ever so I get a bomb of news there via Fox Footy, Foxsports News etc. All games live ensures more and more people are signing up so I'm not alone there.

I now have digital access to all the major radio stations on my iPhone 24 hours a day, including commercial networks and the ABC.

I have access to the official websites of all the AFL clubs.

I have access to the AFL's news site.

I have access to BigFooty and all other football based forums and fan sites, which are freely able to discuss football news.

I still have access to the Age's admittedly inferior website Real Footy.

I have access to free-to-air TV news.

So why would I pay for news I can get anyway? The Herald Sun are banking on their reputation, their existing newspaper readership, their news-finding ability and the pulling power of their writers to convince people to pay for access to their website. I have to say I think they might struggle more than they realise.

Great Media Watch clip, but...

"SIMON PRISTEL: It’s not even an option. If we don’t enter this space then we can’t afford the great journalism that we produce every day."

Great journalism hm?

Great Media Watch clip, but...

"SIMON PRISTEL: It’s not even an option. If we don’t enter this space then we can’t afford the great journalism that we produce every day."

Great journalism hm?

Yeah I laughed when I heard him say that, since when has the Herald Sun produced great journalism?

Like Dynamics I visited the HUN website when it was free but don't bother now that it's mostly behind a paywall. You can basically get the same news elsewhere, it's the HUN journos opinion pieces that you have to pay for and their opinions just aren't worth paying for in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back