Biggest commentary bugbears?

Remove this Banner Ad

one eyedtiger

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2008
1,839
813
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
You can guarantee if/when the margin gets out to 4-5 goals in 2nd half you'll hear Cameron Ling say "Gotta take some risks now, be brave play through the corridor, risk losing it by 7 or 8 goals to give yourself a chance of winning"

The other one is you can tell Hamish has a little script prepared for when player x gets the ball and he'll go through with his whole speech no matter how long it takes or how much the play has unfolded in the mean time. Case in point last weekend Gawn took a mark in his defensive 50, Hammer started going on about "I was speaking to a life long Demons fan during the week, who thinks Max is the best Melbourne captain since player x, y, z" In the mean time Gawn has turned over a 15m kick and Higgins is kicking a goal.
 

1989

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2010
2,208
2,515
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
All broadcasters do this, but when they say how accurate someone is in front of goal, then they miss, and they think it's height of hilarity joking about 'commentators curse'. Hear that gag about a zillion times a year.
...and generally they have no real idea about which players are accurate. A lot of commentators will believe that superstar players like Dangerfield and Fyfe are likely to go back and kick the goal, while a lesser known player with an unorthodox run up / kicking action is likely to be a poor set shot, or somebody who plays ruck or in defence. 'Dangerfield misses from 25 metres out - he'd kick that one 99 times out of 100'.
 
Last edited:

Log in to remove this ad.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
6,344
7,530
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Just want put it out there. He is the best for calling it as he sees it. He called out several frees Essendon should have got/ didn't deserve against tonight.
Not a massive fan of him, especially when he was calling the cricket, but credit where it's due - for a guy so deeply entrenched in a club he is pretty objective when calling North games. If anything when they play the Swans he seems to felate the "Swannies" more than North.
 

1989

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2010
2,208
2,515
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Just want put it out there. He is the best for calling it as he sees it. He called out several frees Essendon should have got/ didn't deserve against tonight.
I respect commentators who are prepared to provide an honest assessment of the umpiring. It's an important part of their job.

I really like JB, and have always watched his shows and listened to his radio programs (and will continue to), but in recent times I've found him too wordy and repetitive. Whether it's for the cricket or the football, sometimes there's not a lot of substance there, but lots of words. Too much of this sort of stuff - "This bloke just keeps getting the job done for his footy club", "Finchy is an unbelievable talent who has an enormous ability to hit the cricket ball an extraordinarily long way".
 

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
6,529
8,160
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
“3 minutes and change”

Hamish, who I actually don’t mind as a caller these days, is a repeat offender with this.

BT repeating any given phrase or question three times or more

Every single one of the following from Dwayne Russell:

“From the paint”

“Tightropes the boundary”

“Delightful”

“Gold class”

“Rolls it...goals

Plenty of others from Russell that I can’t remember at the moment,
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
19,825
22,999
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Any time a player is having a shot for goal a commentator says its a good looking kick. Once they say that, it is probably a 40% chance of a goal, 30% chance of a behind and the other 30% will be either on the full or not make the distance
 

Dragz

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
2,746
1,409
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
be carful what you wish for. How bad would it be if they let the commentary team loose with the pen or whatever it is the use to mark fielding position's on the cricket telecast
Luckily they’d need actual analysts.
Although they’d probably give us David King :(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

010203

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
5,170
3,123
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is by no means exclusive to AFL but I wish commentators would stop using 'of course' when delivering some information about a player/coach, team, rule or anything historical.
 

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
19,825
22,999
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The fact that there are no commentators watching games from the ground. Surely there would be some that would have been some willing to go up and watch games live to broadcast it.

Compare that to the NBA, a game that would be much easier to commentate off a screen than AFL, where all the commentators are at the games to call it
 

Remove this Banner Ad