Biggest waste of talent in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how people blame Daniher's injury recovery purely on Essendon as opposed to also being a victim of his own approach to rehab. Its well known he is a very laid back space cadet who doesn't work the hardest.

Moving to Brissy hopefully gets some fire in his belly, he lifts his professionalism and he matches the talent everyone knows he has. Will suck for dons fans but his best is just too good to not want to see it in the game.

Back to the original question I would like to put forward Blake Acres. Was pumped up massively early on his career and looked to have the tools to become an explosive tall mid and then Richo played him in nearly every position and really has just become another average utility.
Blake Acres struggled at the Saints partly due to Richardson didnt know what to do with him at the time.

Still think Acres will be a solid player and Not waste his career like Brandon Matera, Cam McCarthy or Harley Bennell.

Jack Martin?

Been hearing since before he was picked in the mini draft about his talent. He's been pretty unspectacular.

Steve Motlop is a massive tease. His last 3 years with Geelong averaged 20+ touches a game and kicked 26, 38, 22 goals, and had a 44 goal season in 2013. Since he joined Port he manages to get less of the ball and kick fewer goals.

De Goey, Stringer, Hogan all stand out as young players that hit a high level early then dropped right off. I'm glad Petracca has extracted the digit. Looked like he could float around and play at 70% his whole career but took a huge leap forward last year.

Good call this. Ditto the bloke who was supposed to be the next big thing before Jack Martin. Jaegar O Meara has been pretty underwhelming so far after a sprightly start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sydney Stack.

Watch his first year then look what's happened since :(

Jack Martin?

Been hearing since before he was picked in the mini draft about his talent. He's been pretty unspectacular.

Steve Motlop is a massive tease. His last 3 years with Geelong averaged 20+ touches a game and kicked 26, 38, 22 goals, and had a 44 goal season in 2013. Since he joined Port he manages to get less of the ball and kick fewer goals.

De Goey, Stringer, Hogan all stand out as young players that hit a high level early then dropped right off. I'm glad Petracca has extracted the digit. Looked like he could float around and play at 70% his whole career but took a huge leap forward last year.

Yeah he is not much chop.

Motlop is a waste of talent as he has shown he can do it at a very high level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see either side, but I suspect it was a bit of a flash-in-the-pan season. He had a heap of confidence, was in prime condition and used his physical traits to his advantage, but still lacked some fundamental awareness at times. Tries to fend off when it's not on, and ignores basic first options. When his instincts are right he can look spectacular, but he is also prone to some dumb decisions, even when he was at his peak.

I hope we're not saying this about DeGoey in 3-4 years (unless we are already?)

I hope we're not saying this about DeGoey in 3-4 years (unless we are already?)

I think people generally forget JDG was drafted as an inside mid who was handy up forward rather than a forward who could pinch hit in the midfield. Since then he's proven himself a capable medium forward, but he can impact in 10 minute bursts as an inside mid. His fitness levels have never allowed him to play in there full time though.

Not sure what he's been doing this pre-season, but he probably needs to have his own Christian Petracca-style pre-season and focus predominantly on his fitness. He's not going to lose any of his skill, and he plays on his instincts anyway.

Some players can just never make the jump, but it'd be a shame if we never saw JDG breakout into an elite mid. Has all the hallmarks: skill, poise, toughness, pace... Just gets burnt out way too easily.

A leftfield choice, Jayden Schofield

Was a highly rated developing small defender at the Bulldogs, at the end of 2011 he chose to go home to WA (rumour was to stay with his girlfriend).
After some time in the WAFL he nominated for the draft but no clubs were interested after throwing away his first shot.

Ditto Fantasia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird that a number of players mentioned in this thread either play at Essendon or have played for Essendon?

Why do talented players turn into spuds at Tullamarine? Does it have something to do with the spongy floors?

Weird that a number of players mentioned in this thread either play at Essendon or have played for Essendon?

Why do talented players turn into spuds at Tullamarine? Does it have something to do with the spongy floors?
Or they were just overrated to begin with because they play for Essendon

Or they were just overrated to begin with because they play for Essendon

Bingo.

Guys like Fantasia are one-trick ponies with one semi-decent season behind them, and have been riding the wave since. Probably not helped by BT's infatuation with him.

Carlisle has always been a very good defender, but just never broke into the top echelon of key backs in the AFL. That's no slight - that's just circumstance.

Daniher picks up one AA nod and all of a sudden Essendon supporters are calling him a 'generational forward.'

You get the idea.

Should of been past players as well, Harley Bennell is the easy pick.

Current players only - so who do you think it is?
Injury excludes players from nomination (e.g. Curnow would be a superstar with a second working knee).

Stengle with his off-field issues would be close, and Willie Rioli with his urine sample tampering means we miss out on another.
Who else deserves a nomination?
Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back