Bitcoin & Bitcoin Mining

Remove this Banner Ad

My own call, my money to loser etc ;)

I thought ETH looked the stronger play - the technology and potential behind it sounds insane; but with the cash I have to lose at present, the volume I'd get would be so small it might not be worth it, where as I can load up on Ripple.

Yep that's it in a nutshell. What's more likely to double ETH at $218 or Ripple at 30 cents. Short term ETH may increase more but Ripple is the much better long term IMO.

Do you mine them yourself?

Ripple is pre-mined entirely (100 billion can only ever exist), while ETH is partly premined and partly mineable. The days of being able to mine ETH without a serious investment have gone but you could look at something like SIA if you're into mining and thing it's a worthwhile venture.

https://www.genesis-mining.com/pricing

Any info on that kind of thing Ash?

Will be outdated in a couple of years and turns a passive speculative investment into an active one that requires constant upkeep. I'd avoid it as much as possible and just speculate by buying cryptos you think have potential.

Side note here's an interesting article regarding the Bitcoin mining process in China.

How high can ripple realistically go, though? I don't pretend to understand all this stuff, but from the bits n pieces I've read it doesn't seem like its going to get in to the triple figures for a long, long time, if ever. Is that a fair assumption? It's hard to find genuine insight in to this stuff! So much of it just seems like people throwing out wild guesses, hoping it'll do what btc did.

How high can ripple realistically go, though? I don't pretend to understand all this stuff, but from the bits n pieces I've read it doesn't seem like its going to get in to the triple figures for a long, long time, if ever. Is that a fair assumption? It's hard to find genuine insight in to this stuff! So much of it just seems like people throwing out wild guesses, hoping it'll do what btc did.

Any guess at Ripple's maximum price is just that, a guess. Any technical analysis may look flashy but no one has any idea. Agreed it's highly unlikely and probably won't ever rise 330 times the current price for a long, long time if ever to hit triple figures in value.

Bump. This has me intrigued.

Can't get over the price of Bitcoin. Really would have loved to have had money for some in 2013. :(

What's the latest on Ripple? The price of them has me interested in throwing a couple of hundred bucks at some.

Bump. This has me intrigued.

Can't get over the price of Bitcoin. Really would have loved to have had money for some in 2013. :(

What's the latest on Ripple? The price of them has me interested in throwing a couple of hundred bucks at some.
The price is irrelevant. Its all about market cap and at a 9b valuation you are unlikely to get great returns if any.

What? Market cap is literally the price of a asset multiplied by the total volume of that asset
Exactly how abundant or scarce a coin is, is very important.

If you only look at the price and not th r circulating supply as well, youll lose alot of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly how abundant or scarce a coin is, is very important.

If you only look at the price and not th r circulating supply as well, youll lose alot of money.
Price is a function of supply and demand. Total supply available is already built into the market price.

You are literally telling people to ignore the price of an asset when trying to gauge potential returns. It makes zero sense

Price is a function of supply and demand. Total supply available is already built into the market price.

You are literally telling people to ignore the price of an asset when trying to gauge potential returns. It makes zero sense
Lets say i have two coins that are equal in all aspects.

One costs 20 cents and has a circulating supply of 20 billion coins
The other costs $5 and has a circulating supply of 10 million coins.

one has a market cap of $4b, the other $50m.

If you purchased based on price, you would have picked the inferior coin. Circulating supply is needed to determine market cap in conjunction with price., price on its own means nothing.

Lets say i have two coins that are equal in all aspects.

One costs 20 cents and has a circulating supply of 20 billion coins
The other costs $5 and has a circulating supply of 10 million coins.

one has a market cap of $4b, the other $50m.

If you purchased based on price, you would have picked the inferior coin. Circulating supply is needed to determine market cap in conjunction with price., price on its own means nothing.
You should stop. You don't understand what you are talking about.

Your example makes no sense and you haven't considered the biggest determinant of return - demand.

Apple is not necessarily the best investment in the world because it has the biggest market cap. You want to buy an asset that is undervalued and will increase in price (% wise) the most. Market cap means F all

You should stop. You don't understand what you are talking about.

Your example makes no sense and you haven't considered the biggest determinant of return - demand.

Apple is not necessarily the best investment in the world because it has the biggest market cap. You want to buy an asset that is undervalued and will increase in price (% wise) the most. Market cap means F all
I really should stop with you because you are clearly not getting it.

The previous poster would have bought the higher cap based on price which is a bad outcome.

The small market cap, all things equal, will clearly have the bigger gain.

Trading volumes, a measure for demand and not to be confused with the circulating supply, is generally proportional to the market cap of a coin. If 5 new investors wanted to buy x usd amount of each coin in this scenario, the small market cap would increase higher in price.

Feels like im talking to a brick wall, if you want to purchase based on price, go ahead. It doesnt benefit me in any way to tell you this.

Last edited:
I really should stop with you because you are clearly not getting it.

The previous poster would have bought the higher cap based on price which is a bad outcome.

The small market cap, all things equal, will clearly have the bigger gain.

Trading volumes, a measure for demand and not to be confused with the circulating supply, is generally proportional to the market cap of a coin. If 5 new investors wanted to buy x usd amount of each coin in this scenario, the small market cap would increase higher in price.

Feels like im talking to a brick wall, if you want to purchase based on price, go ahead. It doesnt benefit me in any way to tell you this.
Ok genius.
Your own argument isn't even consistent with itself.

Ok genius.
Your own argument isn't even consistent with itself.
Thats because you can't even remember/apply the context of the one day old post chain and need every minor detail to be re-explained.

Go google price vs market cap if you won't take it from me. Market cap provides the market valuation of an entity and not the price on its own, there is simply no other argument.

Thats because you can't even remember/apply the context of the one day old post chain and need every minor detail to be re-explained.

Go google price vs market cap if you won't take it from me. Market cap provides the market valuation of an entity and not the price on its own, there is simply no other argument.

No s**t Wikipedia
But never forget

The price is irrelevant.

So at what point does a cryptocurrency get used as an actual currency, if ever?

Right now they seem to have more in common with gold as a store of value than they do with fiat currency. I'm sure for many of you that is the point, but I'm interested to see how you all think this plays out in the coming years.

No s**t Wikipedia
But never forget
Whats to forget about that? The price on its own is irrelevant.

no amount of 'supply and demand' 5th grader economic principles, ascertained from youtube videos or wolf of wall street, you mindlessly spout will change what I said.

also never forget:

Market cap means F all

Given where you left your last post, thanks acknowledging you have been proven wrong, have no further arguments and recognize entity valuation around market cap is an immutable fact.

Last edited:
So at what point does a cryptocurrency get used as an actual currency, if ever?

Right now they seem to have more in common with gold as a store of value than they do with fiat currency. I'm sure for many of you that is the point, but I'm interested to see how you all think this plays out in the coming years.

Bitcoin is already used as a currency. If you are speculating about widespread adoption, nobody knows. The general consensus is that a black swan event or a series of these events that reduces mainstream faith in traditional fiat currencies controlled by reserve banks may be the catalyst for the adoption of a decentralized currency.

Also cryptocurrency may not necessarily just be for the purpose of currency. Protocols like ethereum, NEM, antshares, Lisk, Waves, Stratis etc allow developers to build smart contract based dapps on the respective platforms which is a development as significant as a decentralized currency.

Whats to forget about that? The price on its own is irrelevant.

no amount of 'supply and demand' 5th grader economic principles, ascertained from youtube videos or wolf of wall street, you mindlessly spout will change what I said.

also never forget:

Given where you left your last post, thanks acknowledging you have been proven wrong, have no further arguments and recognize entity valuation around market cap is an immutable fact.
Re read the posts. Your argument has changed from "price is irrelevant, market cap is the biggest determinant of returns" to "entity valuation around market cap is an immutable fact".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back