Past Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

Been keeping an eye on this guy through the NAB and last night. There is something about the way he kicks, that in my head I think he has shanked it or rushed the kick, but he seems to always hit up a quality pass. He will be a very handy player.

Really impressed with Boekhurst. One of our best users of the ball we have. Once his confidence grows he will start using his lateral movement to really break the lines. Really impressed with how well we played we should of won. Credit to Bolton. For me the big positive is we have a great Foundation of youngsters developing. Silvagni played really well in the two's as did Cunners. Throw in Plowman Curnow and McKay and future is looking bright.

Good point. We haven't seen a lot of that yet and maybe he's been asked not to be too tricky for now.
Some of the stuff on display even last year in the VFL was A-Grade movement in traffic..

Here we go........

I picked this kid from the start.

Boek was terrific last night but I hope people realise he's never going to be the most robust player in the team. Sometimes I think (at this stage) he's still dishing off a little early sometimes, when he might be better served drawing a tackle. Or he might be being instructed to not get tackled as it would stop him from providing an option later on.

Not a problem usually because you can see that in every piece of play where he dishes off, he's really stretches out of congestion (very quickly) to provide an option straight away or further down the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this kid from the start.

Boek was terrific last night but I hope people realise he's never going to be the most robust player in the team. Sometimes I think (at this stage) he's still dishing off a little early sometimes, when he might be better served drawing a tackle. Or he might be being instructed to not get tackled as it would stop him from providing an option later on.

Not a problem usually because you can see that in every piece of play where he dishes off, he's really stretches out of congestion (very quickly) to provide an option straight away or further down the ground.

Laverde would have been good.........but not for us at the time.
From what I understand he would have always wanted to go to Essendon but who knows............that may have changed in more recent times.

Anyway, Boekhorst is happy to be with us and we've finally got to appreciate him. Works well that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you see him going in 2017? I think he has shown some good signs in the past, but not sure where he fits with the extra depth traded in..
We've been implementing a different dietary plan this year I believe, and he seemed to respond to it a lot stronger than most, in the sense that he got extremely lean while struggling to put on mass.

This was fine until he broke his wrist, at which point he seemed completely lethargic (as did a few others in our side) until it appeared we made some further diet/training tweaks again (see his tackle against Sydney for reference as to the impact it had).

So he basically spent the second half of the year digging himself out of a physical hole that the club and his injury put him in. I think with another pre-season under his belt he's an option in that rotating wing/HF line up along with Sumner, Smedts, Pickett, Buckley and a few others. He's got a bit more competition for spots, but that's a good thing for him whether he's at AFL or VFL level, because he will get a chance to develop in an environment where we have players around him that suit both him and our tactics.

My buoyancy about Blaine has been let down somewhat in recent times.
He's getting reasonable numbers in the VFL, but there isn't a lot of hurt factor about them.
The tricks seem to have disappeared and the intent hasn't been ramped up.

Looks to me as tough Blaine is going to have to pick-up his rating in order to not be de-listed at years end. Pity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thing is that the tricks have now stepped up.
Nowhere near enough of them yet, but at he is showing form that even has commentators applauding him for.

I feel that Blaine does know his way around the ground but has to work harder to get to more contests.
He did this for at least a couple of weeks in the VFL gathering 30+ touches and if he can fit into a framework that suits his attributes, he may yet make it with us and if not with us, maybe someone else.

Just at this stage, he may have tipped the scales to him remaining with us for at least another year.

Good thing is that the tricks have now stepped up.
Nowhere near enough of them yet, but at he is showing form that even has commentators applauding him for.

I feel that Blaine does know his way around the ground but has to work harder to get to more contests.
He did this for at least a couple of weeks in the VFL gathering 30+ touches and if he can fit into a framework that suits his attributes, he may yet make it with us and if not with us, maybe someone else.

Just at this stage, he may have tipped the scales to him remaining with us for at least another year.
I reckon you've got it backwards Harks: he can run all day, but he needs to learn more about when and where to run.

If I'm right, he'll come on quickly if the uptick continues.

I reckon you've got it backwards Harks: he can run all day, but he needs to learn more about when and where to run.

If I'm right, he'll come on quickly if the uptick continues.

He's not too bad at finding where to go, but he won't gut-run to get there.
The two best VFL games I saw him play this year, when he was running with intent and not with that little shuffle he got used to.

How did his game look to those who were at the ground?

All the way from here I actually saw him extract it once or twice.
Wasn't at the game but just watched the replay and one that I focus on was Boekhorst as I believe we really need an outside runner with a bit of skill.

Started poorly with a few bad errors, but worked into the game very well in the second half, 26 disposals with plenty of run, linked up well and had a few smart handballs out of congestion. Had some penetrating long passes but still lacks that polish needed on a consistent basis. I hope we stick with him for one more year.

The other one I was watching closely was Charlie, wow just wow, but that is another story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back