Blaming Umpires For A Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Blokes complaining about biased rubbish commentary during games is worse than what Umpire bashing is! Press mute FFS and i wish i could turn off poor umpiring displays! ;)

But i think honestly the standard of umpiring all round is terrible and one area of our game that has not improved in the last 30 years at least. Still heaps of mistakes made/ clear free kicks ignored / consistency non existent and while the Umps have a hard job as our game is one of the hardest to adjudicate the blatant inconsistency displayed is alarming as at one end of the ground it is paid and the exact same thing happens down the other end and it is ignored! This is what frustrates fans and players equally.

League does also not make it easy for the umpires or players with stupid rule changes every season compounding woes.

You have got to be kidding. The standard of umpiring today is light years better than it was 30 years ago. Any viewing of football in the mid 80"s will conclusively prove this. The current umpiring panel are the cream of the crop in this country. If you find their work "terrible" you should be questioning the game itself, not the blokes officiating it. The reality is that the umpires get the vast majority of their decisions correct, which is an outstanding result given how difficult a game it is the officiate.

What annoys me is the illinformed peanuts who seem to think the Umpires favour a certain team aka Hawthorn, Eagles at home etc.

Yet to see conclusive proof yet that poor/dodgy umpiring cost a team a Grand Final.

Well, there is statistical evidence for West Coast at Subi that they get a lot more free kicks at home than away on average and do a lot better than Fremantle does at home.

I don't think it is favouritism, I think the umpires just get sucked in by the crowd making a lot of noise, what benefits WCE is that a lot of their fans either are completely clueless about the rules or intentionally plead for free kicks they know aren't there. Now and then it sucks the umpires in to make some bad calls, enough that it is statistically visible from natural variation. If they occur at critical moments in a game and swings momentum it can play a critical role, however, you can't fault losing on umpires alone.

I'm not a fan og blaming the umpires for a loss except if it is a legitimately shocking and costly on the scoreboard.

Jack Anthony from 2009 was fair game because that was bad, if Freo had won by under a goal last week I would have raged because of the OOB that wasn't called which resulted in a Pavlich goal, but on the same point West Coast would have kicked themselves out the game also

Don't start me.

Umpires are still influencing games too much and in some cases influencing results. As others have pointed out they quite often favour one team over another to keep the contest close. All the close finishes we have these days don't just happen by accident, quite often they're manipulated by the umpires, close games means more tv viewers, higher ratings and more dollars for the AFL.

We've all seen how much the AFL like to manipulate things off the field, you're naïve if you think they don't manipulate things on the field as well.

You have got to be kidding. The standard of umpiring today is light years better than it was 30 years ago. Any viewing of football in the mid 80"s will conclusively prove this. The current umpiring panel are the cream of the crop in this country. If you find their work "terrible" you should be questioning the game itself, not the blokes officiating it. The reality is that the umpires get the vast majority of their decisions correct, which is an outstanding result given how difficult a game it is the officiate.

The Hawks usually get a good run from the umpires, it's no wonder you think the standard is better these days, you'd be in the minority though.

Interpretation of the rules can influence the result of a game, if it comes at crucial stages. I remember watching the Kangaroos getting reamed by the umpires one night in Sydney, culminating in a very dodgy goal to Daryn Cresswell ...

Don't start me.

Umpires are still influencing games too much and in some cases influencing results. As others have pointed out they quite often favour one team over another to keep the contest close. All the close finishes we have these days don't just happen by accident, quite often they're manipulated by the umpires, close games means more tv viewers, higher ratings and more dollars for the AFL.

We've all seen how much the AFL like to manipulate things off the field, you're naïve if you think they don't manipulate things on the field as well.

The Hawks usually get a good run from the umpires, it's no wonder you think the standard is better these days, you'd be in the minority though.
Tin - Foil - Hat

Hawks major benefit comes from the non-calls. They are generally given an eternity to get rid of the ball, a lot of throws aren't called, they don't get pinged for holding the ball as much as other teams. If those non-calls are bad both ways it evens out, but when they lean heavily in one direction it can be significant. Teams are up against it to beat the Hawks, they don't need the umpire's thumb on the scales.

It is why I laughed at the Melbourne supporters in the gameday thread who were crying about a missed call here or there when there were numerous missed calls going both ways, you can't just base a decision on how many were missed in the last 2 minutes of a 120 minute game.

Also, I think the umpires and the AFL in particular are too incompetent to a) form a conspiracy theory and b) keep anything secret. Someone would have spilled the beans.

Don't start me.

As clearly the most tedious, predictable umpire basher in the history of Big Footy you really should recluse yourself from this thread. Your credibility on most issues is subterranean, on umpiring it is beyond comical.

I think a problem is that umpires aren't held accountable, they are sacrosanct above criticism so why should they improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wowpllkt2n.jpg

Moral Victory FTW :)

Is there anything more pathetic and petulant than the constant cries of AFL supporters that the umpires screwed them out of a win?
Maybe if your team was closer to winning a game, and had a free kick go against you which cost you the game then you'd feel differently. But unfortunately your team is rubbish and doesn't even compete.

The they've had 38 frees and we only had 10 argument is foolish too. Your team has been more reckless the tally shouldn't have to be equal.
I gorlt mates that do it all the time and scream bullsh+t calls at the scream and wonder why it isn't paid. The only time you could blame umps is if the give a stupid free in the last 10 seconds that gives the other team the winning goal. Anything before your team should have played well enough to get over the line.

Well, there is statistical evidence for West Coast at Subi that they get a lot more free kicks at home than away on average and do a lot better than Fremantle does at home.

I don't think it is favouritism, I think the umpires just get sucked in by the crowd making a lot of noise, what benefits WCE is that a lot of their fans either are completely clueless about the rules or intentionally plead for free kicks they know aren't there. Now and then it sucks the umpires in to make some bad calls, enough that it is statistically visible from natural variation. If they occur at critical moments in a game and swings momentum it can play a critical role, however, you can't fault losing on umpires alone.
The crowd isn't going to influence the umpire into calling a free when nothing has happened. If there is a 50/50 call then they may help but then you can't really argue as it was a 50/50 call to start with.

A game is made up of a thousand different events and decisions, by players and umpires, some of which are bound to go wrong.

I don't see that there is a hell of a difference between an umpire making a mistake and a player in terms of the result, and the players make a hell of a lot more.

The crowd isn't going to influence the umpire into calling a free when nothing has happened. If there is a 50/50 call then they may help but then you can't really argue as it was a 50/50 call to start with.

I think 50/50 call is a bit generous, your supporters go off their nut at 20/80 or 10/90 calls.

Umpire blaming is such an extreme form of cognitive dissonance*, that even when you realise that it's difficult to not tip into it.

*I'm not sure if that's entirely the right term, but the strength of conviction over which teams get favoured, in general or in a particular match, combined with the fact that our game is so subjectively umpired, means that it's very easy to find evidence to back your belief and ignore things that go the other way.
Confirmation bias, way to psych Crinz.

some games its just true. an umpire with a bs call or non call late in a game that costs your team the win hurts. few years back richo marks plays on and goals only for the umps to call in the back and we go on to lose not long after

It's generally a very pissweak excuse for a team losing.

But, we lost the 2001 Prelim because of some of the worst first quarter umpiring I've ever seen

I think 50/50 call is a bit generous, your supporters go off their nut at 20/80 or 10/90 calls.
I've been to games all around the country and it's the same everywhere. West Coast fans might be a bit louder but they are no greater in number than any other club when it comes to screaming for non-existent frees and bemoaning obvious ones.

Vics might like to imagine they are enlightened but I've seen just as many peanuts at the G as I have the members section of Subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back