Toast Bleeding Purple

Remove this Banner Ad

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has anyone else started listening to the ‘Bleeding Purple’ podcasts available on the Fremantle Dockers app?

As part of the 25 year celebrations Dr Jeffrey Boyle is doing a series of interviews with some of the key people in Freo’s history. Very interesting hearing the stories & the obstacles they had to overcome.

Yeah, I've listened to them all. Great stuff. I've actually listened to them a couple times. For someone who became a footy fan from outside AUS, it's really insightful to hear about how the club was formed. The obstacles they had to overcome were unbelievable. The way the AFL rigged the player picking to favor the Vic clubs is f***in mind boggling. The Suns and GWS got completely opposite treatment.

I don't understand why the AFL allowed a new expansion club and then stacked the deck against their success. They've said on a couple of the pods that the "AFL didn't want two dominant teams in the west". If this is true, why did the AFL even give Fremantle a team?? Why start a team you don't want to see do well? Makes no sense to me... For those of you around in '94, what is your take on this? I would love to hear from some people who have been with the club from the start.

I need to add a toast to the excellent job done by Freo's Dr Jeffrey Boyle, the inaugural Physiotherapist, who did 6 superb podcasts to celebrate Freo's 25th year in the AFL.

His also did a video of his last one released a week or so ago which includes Shaun McManus and Spider Burton.

Podcasts available from any of the below links;
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/bleeding-purple/id1455422525
https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/bleeding-purple-1
And on the Fremantle web page under the Podcasts and Radio section;
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news-and-media/podcasts

I encourage all Freo fans, especially those of us who have been around since the start, to have a good listen to them, if you haven't already.
I'll also be sending an appreciative Email to Freo in hope that Dr Boyle continues with some of these in the future.

One of the biggest things that I got out of them, was the vast distance between what was happening internally at the club at different stages of Freo's history versus what was being reported externally. For example, in this latest episode, Dr Jeffrey Boyle gives some stats of just how successful Phil Smart was with his recruiting while at Freo ... yet I can recall the external noise about Phil Smart being virtually the complete opposite with Smart being blamed for much of Freo's lack of success during his tenure.

It was good to hear Kelly's heartfelt appreciation of the support given to them by the Quay Club and Harbour Master members.

Fast Forward to today.... it is disappointing that the club has elected to pretend Quay club never happened.

I enjoyed listening to them all.

I don't see why they stopped it after 5-6 interviews though.

I think they could be really popular as an on-going monthly thing. They don't always have to go back as far as 94-95, interviews with guys from the late 90;s and early 2000's would be equally interesting.

I'd love to hear from:
Modra
Drum
Kickett
O'Rielly
Toia
Bond
Fletcher
Norrish
Cook
Hayden
Pav
Leigh Brown
Shane Parker
Clive
And about 50 more.

There would be so many cool stories that most of us have no idea about, i think the club really should be getting these out there and engaging with the members with the past more.
There is almost embarrassment from Fremantle people about the formative years and first 10-15 seasons of our clubs history that people want to hide from it. I think its ludicrous, i want to hear more about it so we can appreciate what we experiences in the 2012 - 2015 period and any future success coming our way.

I need to add a toast to the excellent job done by Freo's Dr Jeffrey Boyle, the inaugural Physiotherapist, who did 6 superb podcasts to celebrate Freo's 25th year in the AFL.

His also did a video of his last one released a week or so ago which includes Shaun McManus and Spider Burton.

Podcasts available from any of the below links;
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/bleeding-purple/id1455422525
https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/bleeding-purple-1
And on the Fremantle web page under the Podcasts and Radio section;
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news-and-media/podcasts

I encourage all Freo fans, especially those of us who have been around since the start, to have a good listen to them, if you haven't already.
I'll also be sending an appreciative Email to Freo in hope that Dr Boyle continues with some of these in the future.

One of the biggest things that I got out of them, was the vast distance between what was happening internally at the club at different stages of Freo's history versus what was being reported externally. For example, in this latest episode, Dr Jeffrey Boyle gives some stats of just how successful Phil Smart was with his recruiting while at Freo ... yet I can recall the external noise about Phil Smart being virtually the complete opposite with Smart being blamed for much of Freo's lack of success during his tenure.

Phil Smart frequently had to deal with a turbulent trading environment and the perennial key-forward search from Freo's early years, which continued in the 2000's by Schwab and Connelly going into trade-splurge mode every second year. Smart was too often left with sketchy picks to try and spin into gold.

I reckon he was turfed at the peak of his powers with the quality work he did in 2008-09. Would've been good to see what he did with 2010-11, fair bet it would be vastly different from how the Lloyd's went about it with less priority on vanilla vics.

I enjoyed listening to them all.

I don't see why they stopped it after 5-6 interviews though.

I think they could be really popular as an on-going monthly thing. They don't always have to go back as far as 94-95, interviews with guys from the late 90;s and early 2000's would be equally interesting.

I'd love to hear from:
Modra
Drum
Kickett
O'Rielly
Toia
Bond
Fletcher
Norrish
Cook
Hayden
Pav
Leigh Brown
Shane Parker
Clive
And about 50 more.

There would be so many cool stories that most of us have no idea about, i think the club really should be getting these out there and engaging with the members with the past more.
There is almost embarrassment from Fremantle people about the formative years and first 10-15 seasons of our clubs history that people want to hide from it. I think its ludicrous, i want to hear more about it so we can appreciate what we experiences in the 2012 - 2015 period and any future success coming our way.

I think it was a 25th anniversary initiative, hence the focus on the early days.
It seems like it was Dr Jeffrey Boyle's baby, but fortunately, sounds like (from his reply to my appreciative Email) that he has left the door open for more possible conversations in 2020. Hopefully we get our wish and get to hear more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back