- Availability: to be assessed following the Club’s Round 14 bye

Adam Cerra (hamstring)

David Cuningham (calf)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Jack MartinCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerDid not require surgery.
Availability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 28 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

Navicular stress fracture = training loads too high.

While navicular stress fractures are primarily due to overuse, sometimes there are additional contributing factors such as improper shoe wear, improper running or landing technique, or a change in running surface. Finally, some foot types are more prone to navicular fractures than others

Review into IKON training surface…. So many stress fractures in backs and feet from our club over the last few years.

Everything should be reviewed ongoing, from personnel in the fitness department, player commitment to programs, surface, workloads on or out of gameday

Everything should be reviewed ongoing, from personnel in the fitness department, player commitment to programs, surface, workloads on or out of gameday
And there it is!

This is how Cooke would be approaching any review into our “spate” of injuries.

Look for commonalities, research all aspects - including the success stories this program has delivered!

If our CEO says we need to move on from Russell - then I’d expect the club has worked through a measured & well informed process - not reacted emotionally to the potential detriment of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am absolutely gutted for Cunners. Given the nature of the injury, a recurrence of a calf injury, and the forecast length of time he is expected to be sidelined youd have to think that is the end of his AFL career, certainly at Carlton at least. I don’t hold him the esteem some other do, but he could have been a lot more than what he was but for his injuries.

33, there’s a few teams around that mark.

Sydney has used the lowest @ 27, so we’re playing the most settled line up this round.
We could have easily used more rookies - but, we are giving them time to adjust.

The good thing is the match committee has not panic with all these injuries

There is no way in hell the club isn’t going to overhaul our high performance/load management/injury management process. And I’d be amazed if that doesn’t include already looking into what life post AR looks like.

No-one would survive a premiership tilt being utterly derailed by this sheer amount of overuse injuries.

I have almost no doubt the players have been pushed too far into the red zone in order to gain a competitive advantage.

My only question is who instigated and signed off on it.

I am absolutely gutted for Cunners. Given the nature of the injury, a recurrence of a calf injury, and the forecast length of time he is expected to be sidelined youd have to think that is the end of his AFL career, certainly at Carlton at least. I don’t hold him the esteem some other do, but he could have been a lot more than what he was but for his injuries.
As a person I feel for him but I felt like the club held him as an underperforming asset for at least two seasons too long, even last season I was surprised he was extended, despite a few quite good games towards the end of the year.

And there it is!

This is how Cooke would be approaching any review into our “spate” of injuries.

Look for commonalities, research all aspects - including the success stories this program has delivered!

If our CEO says we need to move on from Russell - then I’d expect the club has worked through a measured & well informed process - not reacted emotionally to the potential detriment of the club.
Yes true but you don't have to pretend there hasn't been an elevated number of injuries by the quotes around spate etc. The club managing it and probably (hopefully) fixing it can be true. But so can an elevated number of injuries. We are over the average for ACL injuries in yearly data for the last 25 years, 15 years, 5 years etc. We are over the Ave for soft tissue injuries in the last 5. Personnel etc etc it all counts. Cause is probably a bit of everything. But let's not pretend that there is not a spate of injuries and try to minimise the higher incidence we are experiencing.

Correlation is not causation. I think it's an error to draw conclusions from limited data.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Injury occurrence rates for muscle groups is available data from the 90s onwards. It's not limited when testing against trends that long across a few different sets of sub regulations etc too. We are historically high consistently.

Injury occurrence rates for muscle groups is available data from the 90s onwards. It's not limited when testing against trends that long across a few different sets of sub regulations etc too. We are historically high consistently.
IE: Hamstring injuries (19.1 missed games/club/season in 2015)
And
Over the last 20 years, the average number of new hamstring injuries has remained high at 5.9 and 6.2 per club for 10 and 20 years respectively.
Another source
Hamstring injuries are observed to result at a rate of 6.1 per club annually, with a recurring rate of nearly 1 in 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back