Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a heavily front ended contract.
After all, what are we doing with the coin we were throwing at Shiel? Supposedly around a million he was offered...so what happens to that?
Its in my bank account, now please ask no more about this money...

Because in 12 months time we may have shown huge improvement and that pick can be used on a mature body we couldn’t attract this year that we could next year

That's a fair enough and valid pro to keeping it. But like this year, we cannot be certain we can trade it for a mature aged body we actually want. Hence, I still view control what we can control now and make use of it's currency in the present, if we can. There are pros and cons for doing both. You now know why we would consider it. Does not mean we certainly will. The offer has to be good enough for us to see the advantages to our liking.

Given where I think players will be bid on and how many picks they could need

572315_1e490e2036f8534ca7f492de1384119b.png
I love a graph (hello alan kohler) or spreadsheet. Thanks Arr0w for the color coded list update

Last edited:

Id hold onto our 2019 1st and go back to the gws well one more time...

Free agents Tomlinson, Coniglio and Haynes would be handy additions. Josh Kelly and Hopper are the other 2 id love (would require a trade).

We know their cap is tight and i expect it to be again next year. If we could get 2 of those free agents and 1 of kelly or hopper by trade, id suggest our 2020 looks extremely bright.

I would like to see us hold next years 1st

That's a fair enough and valid pro to keeping it. But like this year, we cannot be certain we can trade it for a mature aged body we actually want. Hence, I still view control what we can control now and make use of it's currency in the present, if we can. There are pros and cons for doing both. You now know why we would consider it. Does not mean we certainly will. The offer has to be good enough for us to see the advantages to our liking.

There is controlling it & then keeping your options open.

Melbourne is the perfect example, they traded it, they didn’t keep the option open, now in 2018 there is a chance for them to get May, however they don’t have a first round pick to deal with, so to obtain 1 they need to get may, they are in a fight with Freo over Hogan, they lost control of it.

Difference being they used theirs for a mature player.

You yourself said we want to use it for a mature player, however it’s not going to happen. So now your suggesting that because we couldn’t use it for a mature player to move it on for a couple of picks this year and maybe a pick next year on a few kids.

That option completely shuts the door on it EVER being used on a mature player, it’s not a case of if we don’t use it by Wednesday night we can never use it on a mature player so get something. It can be used on a mature player in 12 months, it can be broken into other picks in 12 months over the 2019 draft and the 2020. Yes it has more value now, but it’s a far bigger risk to do it now rather than next year as well.

If the goal was mature bodies for next years pick 1 we sit on it until that is no longer possible, it’s no longer possible at the end of the 2019 trade period not after the 2018 trade period

Cats want a pick inside 10

Us lose 2019 1st, gain WC 2019 1st, pick 20, 22
WC lose 2019 1st, 20, 22 gain Kelly, Cats 2019 2nd
Cats lose Kelly, 2019 2nd, gain Blues 2019 1st.

Needs tweaking, but along those lines
On the surface I don't like it but if we end up with say pick 5 and Eagles pick 10 it's a big win.

Crows have pick 7 this year, Dogs pick 9 the year before, Eagles pick certainly not a given to be a late first rounder.

Could possibly trade up to 11 or so with those early 2nds.

Cant say ive watched a lot of Nic Newman. Ive checked his stats and looks like he picked up some really good disposal numbers in 2017 and then dropped off slightly in 2018. Did he change position? What kind of player is he? Strengths/weaknesses? Why hasnt Sydney signed him already if hes got the right stuff?

I have never looked into this points deficit system. If we were to bid on Ben Silvagni and a Hickmott and not have points for either, do those points be removed from our first pick next year ? If so , our future 1st rounder could drop a few spots if we not careful.
No, they get removed from your pick in the corresponding round... so we wont have any trouble matching BSOS and the Hickmotts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant say ive watched a lot of Nic Newman. Ive checked his stats and looks like he picked up some really good disposal numbers in 2017 and then dropped off slightly in 2018. Did he change position? What kind of player is he? Strengths/weaknesses? Why hasnt Sydney signed him already if hes got the right stuff?
Combination of factors. Did well in 2017, and struggled a bit in early 18, so much so he wasn't in their 22 - emergence of Lloyd hurt him a little.

I'm surprised he wants out.

Combination of factors. Did well in 2017, and struggled a bit in early 18, so much so he wasn't in their 22 - emergence of Lloyd hurt him a little.

I'm surprised he wants out.

Maybe just one of those situations where a tenor contract is better than a rolling 1 year or even a ‘just wait until trade period ends’

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chances are Swans will sign him up again but if I am Newman I would want out for better opportunities with fresh coaching group. Tom Mitchell needed to go from Swans to be fully free to do his thing as a pure inside mid. Newman needs to go somewhere else to be the creative kick maker from backline and wing area. I think they tried to use him as a shut down guy but not his thing.
Cant say ive watched a lot of Nic Newman. Ive checked his stats and looks like he picked up some really good disposal numbers in 2017 and then dropped off slightly in 2018. Did he change position?

Read above. Fairly sure during the season I heard a family member or some relative on a radio station hinting he was being used for roles he not suited to. I am fairly sure as above it was a negating role, when he is a more creative/rebound type back half player. Swans also tried to turn Tom Mitchell into a high half forward/mid guy before he left. Sometimes clubs are just stubborn with a player and do not play him to his best assets. For the player, changing clubs tends to be the best move for their career.

I'm about 35 pages behind. Have I missed anything? Or is it all trading pick 1 speculation and hypothetical deals for it?

Not sure where I am up to, but I think Will Setterfield just nominated us ;)

The whole Shiel deal blew up and up until it was bigger than Hitler's gas bill. It all just got a bit stupid.

I feel quite relieved that he ended up going elsewhere. Let * deal with the hype, speculation and expectation that will follow. We don't need all that beat-up around our club at this stage. I want our club to get on with quietly rebuilding the team and developing our young guns, without an overpaid prima donna landing in their midst.

(Hmmm, I typed this yesterday, but it didn't post for some reason. I'll give it another go, though it's no longer relevant to the conversation. :rolleyes:)

There is controlling it & then keeping your options open.

You yourself said we want to use it for a mature player, however it’s not going to happen. So now your suggesting that because we couldn’t use it for a mature player to move it on for a couple of picks this year and maybe a pick next year on a few kids.

That option completely shuts the door on it EVER being used on a mature player, it’s not a case of if we don’t use it by Wednesday night we can never use it on a mature player so get something. It can be used on a mature player in 12 month
I am not suggesting we certainly move it on. I am just very open to the attractive option if some club like Gold Coast want to make a play for our picks, we very very open to milking a rare opportunity to turn situation of one young gun in a superdraft into two plus still have a pick next year shifted back a few spots. The challenge I see is we really wanted that mature age A grade mid this year as the preference, if we cannot get that, I still think strengthen the youth in our list whilst we can in a superdraft is an attractive second option. I still think next 48 hours we focus to see if we can unearth that mature age A grade mid for the future 1st rounder and need a future second rounder at same time or just before. After that time passed we strengthen our draft hand if offers are so good, too good to refuse and then for rookie draft time and free agent de-listment time we pick up the best mature aged mid we can find, or even late in the draft. I am open to taking a Mitch Grigg at pick 77 for example or via rookie draft. If we can unlock a Jack Steven, Luke Parker, Brad Crouch or Lachie Neale in next 48 hours, then awesome.

Not sure where I am up to, but I think Will Setterfield just nominated us ;)
Greg Wells is coming. The bad news is Dees want Rod Ashman. Screw that, they can have Michael Young and Vinne Catoggio now we got Glascott, Maylin and Marcou up and running.

I can't believe Hawthorn will get Scully for pick 53. Surely we were sniffing around and missed out - that is an absolute steal!

Once again GWS screw us for value but palm off other players for nearly nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back