Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would much prefer playing The Grand Final at an interstate / neutral venue than a best of 3 series myself. Honestly think having a GF at Optus Stadium or Adelaide Oval would be amazing

Also, its nice reading that the players have been told to return to pre season training with a more professional attitude in mind. I am intrigued to see what Sam Docherty has learnt from spending all of last season in the coaches box, and how he can impart that knowledge on the players, Doc has what it takes to be a future senior coach at AFL level (it that is the path he wants to take)

Also, its nice reading that the players have been told to return to pre season training with a more professional attitude in mind. I am intrigued to see what Sam Docherty has learnt from spending all of last season in the coaches box, and how he can impart that knowledge on the players, Doc has what it takes to be a future senior coach at AFL level (it that is the path he wants to take)

This has to have been laid out from the start and not only by the coach or coaches, but by the leadership group.
I don't even know what that means for players to arrive back with a more professional attitude....compared to what? A lazy attitude and if so, how was that allowed to develop and fester, only for some big 'surprise' for a player to arrive back overweight?

We best get our act together on this front if we have been somewhat more casual than the serious sides.

This has to have been laid out from the start and not only by the coach or coaches, but by the leadership group.
I don't even know what that means for players to arrive back with a more professional attitude....compared to what? A lazy attitude and if so, how was that allowed to develop and fester, only for some big 'surprise' for a player to arrive back overweight?

We best get our act together on this front if we have been somewhat more casual than the serious sides.

I suspect there's been as much of a focus on team cohesion and enjoyment of football over the past few years while we were expecting to be down the bottom of the ladder, probably to assist in player retention during some tough times. Not a case of players being lazy, as such, but perhaps focusing a little more on building bonds and loving the game than some other clubs.

Now that all the pieces are theoretically in place, the enjoyment comes a distant runner-up to development and performance.

Could definitely argue that that should always have been the case, but I can see a world in which we lose a bunch of talented draftees early because we're being hard-arses and still getting smashed.

Interesting comments though. Definitely going to raise a few eyebrows.

I suspect there's been as much of a focus on team cohesion and enjoyment of football over the past few years while we were expecting to be down the bottom of the ladder, probably to assist in player retention during some tough times. Not a case of players being lazy, as such, but perhaps focusing a little more on building bonds and loving the game than some other clubs.

Now that all the pieces are theoretically in place, the enjoyment comes a distant runner-up to development and performance.

Could definitely argue that that should always have been the case, but I can see a world in which we lose a bunch of talented draftees early because we're being hard-arses and still getting smashed.

Interesting comments though. Definitely going to raise a few eyebrows.

I'm not sure you can just turn the tap on and off like that and which is one of the reasons I wanted the change of leadership last year.
Just clears the air of the old and can afford us a fresh start with the new.

Anyway, we'll see what comes about but when you're used to one standard for a few years, it's not that easy to change.....Not for everyone.

I'm not sure you can just turn the tap on and off like that and which is one of the reasons I wanted the change of leadership last year.
Just clears the air of the old and can afford us a fresh start with the new.

Anyway, we'll see what comes about but when you're used to one standard for a few years, it's not that easy to change.....Not for everyone.

Agree HARKER, its not easy to convert mindset and discipline,
there’ll be bumps along the way and we may have let a few more players go.
If we’re serious about competing and succeding’ Russell is the man to get us there but it will take a few seasons at least.[/QUOTE]

At some point it has to be decided if the word sport, or the word entertainment, is the most important aspect of Australian rules football.
Does footy exist for the comabatants to compete and the public to support. Or is the public more important than the teams and players. Should it become like a movie that had five chances for a good ending and an hour later is still going.
Or like those interminable yankee sports that have an hours playing time yet take three hours to finish.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

The mindset is changing and stepping up. The last 2 years the mentality was around rebuild/journey because we were so young. Now it's about going to the next level and having a change in expectations. Now need to believe we are a group of AFL players and as such the standards need to be of the highest level. Not unusual as the players mature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mindset is changing and stepping up. The last 2 years the mentality was around rebuild/journey because we were so young. Now it's about going to the next level and having a change in expectations. Now need to believe we are a group of AFL players and as such the standards need to be of the highest level. Not unusual as the players mature.

That's a somewhat dangerous precedent should training and general standards be different for a 20/21 year old compared to a 25-30 year old.
I don't think that would be the case, as that would make things very difficult via match sim etc.

Anyway, you're saying that the bar will be lifted and it should be and not simply via the coaches but via our new leadership group.....and I'm confident it will be.

need to build a winning mentality within THIS group - we have no idea how to win, get in front, stay in front or stop an opposition run on

They will. I have no doubt. You only have to watch them train etc. Most have them want to excel and are driven. That's what makes me so confident and so far nothing has changed my mind. This is a special group, no doubt

That's a somewhat dangerous precedent should training and general standards be different for a 20/21 year old compared to a 25-30 year old.
I don't think that would be the case, as that would make things very difficult via match sim etc.

Anyway, you're saying that the bar will be lifted and it should be and not simply via the coaches but via our new leadership group.....and I'm confident it will be.

Most are now coming into the age where they more understand requirement and now believe they can make it. Can now be pushed and push themselves. I have no criticism of previous leadership as the ability wasn't there.

As tough as the last 2 years were the benefits will now start to show. We are now entering a period where we have the resources, the structure, the leaders, the experience and the talent to make this all work.

They will. I have no doubt. You only have to watch them train etc. Most have them want to excel and are driven. That's what makes me so confident and so far nothing has changed my mind. This is a special group, no doubt

It may well be, but special compared to who?
They may train very well, whilst 17 other teams may be training better.
How would we know unless we can be in 18 places at the one time?

Not having a go at you, but it's all hard to gauge other than to comment on what we see.....which you do. :)

By virtue of the fact most of our best players already are under the age of 25, suggests we'll have a cohesive group for some time to come.

The positive impact of the enormous overhaul the CFC has undergone will show results in the next few years it’s onwards and upwards from 2019, initially slowly but from 2020/21 we’ll regain our swagger build on solid foundations.
The horrific and catastrophic past decade and more which ripped at the core of the club has ended.
CFC has new captains, Pat Cripps & Sam Docherty , then in 5 year time Sam Walsh & Paddy Dow take over, a decade of stable very strong, professional leadership, we’ll be envoy of the competition.
Go Baggers

need to build a winning mentality within THIS group - we have no idea how to win, get in front, stay in front or stop an opposition run on

Agree Thy , developing a wining mentally will be the greats hurdle yet, but I'm hoping the youngsters just take in their stride and get the job done, they can surprise, talent is there, some missing pieces but that’s fine, coaches must build determination and desire to win.
Bolton & Russell will suffer no fools , mandate is clear more wins and upwards from 2019 onwards. Otherwise there’ll be changes.

It may well be, but special compared to who?
They may train very well, whilst 17 other teams may be training better.
How would we know unless we can be in 18 places at the one time?

Not having a go at you, but it's all hard to gauge other than to comment on what we see.....which you do. :)

By virtue of the fact most of our best players already are under the age of 25, suggests we'll have a cohesive group for some time to come.

You only have to walk into the club to feel the difference. I remember going in at times over the past 20 years and the "feeling" was poor. Just no cohesion or belief in the whole place. People going through the motions. Since Bolton came in it has changed greatly (MLG as well with Trigg).

Then we have put on SOS (same time), Lloyd, Liddle, Russell etc. We have added a group of talented but importantly "quality" young kids. They really are.

The club and the players genuinely believe they are building something special. They don't get down after loses. They get focussed and try harder. They understand the reality of where they are and know it will turn around. They train hard and are close and keep each other in check and importantly push each other to be better.

2019 will have ups and downs. No doubt but IMO the talent will become obvious and we will have some very good days when things click. Reality is that 2021/22 is when we should push for finals but given the maturity and talent we have 2020 isn't out of the question.

I was confident before getting Russell but he is the man that could easily make us that 5% and have it happen quicker.

IMO it's all good especially if you look at the big picture

Agree Thy , developing a wining mentally will be the greats hurdle yet, but I'm hoping the youngsters just take in their stride and get the job done, they can surprise, talent is there, some missing pieces but that’s fine, coaches must build determination and desire to win.
Bolton & Russell will suffer no fools , mandate is clear more wins and upwards from 2019 onwards. Otherwise there’ll be changes.
any competitive person will tell you, you can really enjoy and get used to that winning feeling.....

I really don't see how any team will benefit, it will seriously fatigue players. By match three it will resemble an under 10s game.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of fatigued players struggling to get from one contest to the next, with power forwards illegally manhandling defenders without penalty, I'd watch the EJ Whitten Legends game.

Most of them are still young enough to not have the fear of failure.

Unfortunately it has become ingrained into some of the older players who went through some horrific times at the club.

New leadership is the circuit breaker the club is ready for.

Hope the older players get on board with any changes proposed by those now leading the club. Nothing to be gained by clinging to things that clearly haven’t worked in the immediate past.

A fresh start is the opportunity that is rarely afforded those staying within a club, that haven’t had a coach or board members sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back