Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha so true...should put this on the Essendon board.

Gotta say there's been quite a few apparently near misses that have all turned out to be blessings in disguise.
Off top of my head Carlisle, Prestia, Rockliff & Shiel. Maybe Prestia would have worked out.

If missing out on Shiel paved the way for us to net Stocker, Martin & Papley that's a huge win.
another near miss from memory - Tomlinson for about pick 11 was almost a done deal, instead we had to settle for Charlie Curnow :-(

There’s no way you’d do that trade. Pick 8 is more than enough as is Marchbank on his own.

I’m starting to think the Swines can GGF

The rumour was simply they inquired about Marchbank...as they should since they are short of KPD's.
Sounds like we are inquiring about just about every player in the league, including other clubs' captains.

The poster said it was not an indication that we would actually trade him or that he wants to go, just that Sydney asked...nothing more.

Let's all relax.

Could it be that if we use our first round pick this year (the Adelaide one, say on Papley) then we need a second round pick this year as we currently don’t have one?

We are ok as I understand it to use either our first round pick or our second round pick next year on a trade, but not both (unless we get another first or second round pick back).
Surely we could trade our 2 third round picks for a second

Wow. Just had one of those rare moments when I refreshed my phone and the ‘NO DISCUSSION’ rumour thread was ABOVE the normal discussion thread

Sort of the solar eclipse equivalent of the Carlton board !!!

C'mon Andy......once in a bluemour moon was right there! ;)

another near miss from memory - Tomlinson for about pick 11 was almost a done deal, instead we had to settle for Charlie Curnow :-(

Ah yea good pickup, although if i recall we would have selected Curnow with that pick instead and missed out on McKay.

Still, another massive blessing in disguise.
Who knows, maybe even the Coniglio one will be too if we land someone with the money we would have thrown his way next year (eg Whitfield).

Is there a reason we are assuming it’s this years first needed for Papley?

All reports I’ve read suggests this years draft is average, next year is supposedly better & Sydney has academy prospects.

Is the pick and trading of future picks around Sydney preferring next years first over this years & obviously then under the rules that makes Martin an issue as it’s assumed that’s next years second.

If the reports on the draft are accurate, it maybe Sydney is willing to take a risk that pick 8 slides out, as they see 2020 pick 10-11 being better than 2019 pick 8

Possibly.

We are just assuming because firstly, Liddle has been quite vocal about us trading out this years first rounder for a mature player.

Also, clubs would typically prefer the pick right now, rather than have to wait a year to cash in...unless there were specific reasons to wait like an academy kid.

Possibly.

We are just assuming because firstly, Liddle has been quite vocal about us trading out this years first rounder for a mature player.

Also, clubs would typically prefer the pick right now, rather than have to wait a year to cash in...unless there were specific reasons to wait like an academy kid.
Which Sydney have next year, so might want future picks for their academy picks seeing as this draft is shallow.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently Whatley said on SEN that Norf would have gotten pick 9 as FA Compo if Goldstein left. Although I think that is nonsense, massive lol to Norf it was true:)

How convenient of him to say that after the fact Goldstein just re-signed with North for 3 more years.

#MakeyuppeyWhateley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small fwd who's just kicked 37 goals in a bottom four side, about to hit his prime, never played less than 20 games in a year and plays in a position we desperately need quality in - against a key defender, albeit young young and talented, with injury issues and averages about 14-15 games a year.... I'll take the small fwd.

Context is important here. The 'key position players are more valuable than smalls' mantra can't be applied to every situation...
Marchbank has become a key player in our defense and has had some bad luck with injury. I'll stick with the mantra.

That’s an opinion. Not fact.
Of course it's opinion but it's a pretty good one.

March has teased us with some great 3rd defender games but has had a huge problem staying on the park. On another downside, I don't see him as able to play as 1st or 2nd defender.

If it was a straight swap, it would be a strongly considered.

Apparently Whatley said on SEN that Norf would have gotten pick 9 as FA Compo if Goldstein left. Although I think that is nonsense, massive lol to Norf it was true:)

Whately is probably communicating out of his posterior....

IF true and I was North (yuck), I would have let Goldy go and used pick 9 and Goldy salary to pry Rowan Marshall from Saints...

Instant replacement and I get 8 years' more service from nowhere.

Possibly.

I agree this year will be Carlton preference, but thinking like Sydney, next year better draft, would expect pick 8-12. If I’m Sydney I’m wanting that.

Then let’s say Essendon get involved, is Carlton 2020 First more appealing than pick 8?

Then it makes things sticky for Carlton because if they trade the 2020 first instead of 8, without the AFL ticking it off they can’t trade a 2020 second & without a 2019 Martin becomes complicated & may end up with GC getting 8 with the Brisbane first for this year coming back

I'm certainly not an ITK, but I've been told by someone that usually feeds me solid info that Jacobs is a done deal to Blues, UNLESS Geelong make him an offer, but nothing has been forthcoming... but this might change as Goldy has re-signed.

With all the talk about pick 8 & Papley, is he really worth pick 8 regardless of contract status? - he didn’t make all Australian squad let alone the team.
I’m pretty confident that it’s a firm no for 8, he would be great addition and what we need but I can’t see parting with 8- it’s overs

With all the talk about pick 8 & Papley, is he really worth pick 8 regardless of contract status? - he didn’t make all Australian squad let alone the team.
I’m pretty confident that it’s a firm no for 8, he would be great addition and what we need but I can’t see parting with 8- it’s overs

AA is irrelevant. Lucky to get 1 proper actual small forward named in the AA squad each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back