Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the deflection ..?

Way to miss the point, again

And like your friend above, the point went straight over the top

There was no critique of the decision to take Stocker last year. It was an observation that it seems contradictory that some posters here want to draft Kemp this year

Here's the point...

We brought in Stocker based upon

1. We rated him in the top 6
2. We thought he'd be the last top grade kid we'd draft in
3. We didn't expect to hold our first round pick this year.

That we actually do hold our pick going into the draft means

1. We are in an unexpected bonus scenario where we're not desperate for that player to be AFL ready
2. We can genuinely afford to draft in the best available talent or trade it for the best available solution

IF that solution takes 12 months to get AFL ready then because of its unexpected nature and our depth of young talent so be it. It's not a wasted list spot. We can afford that opportunity cost.

We do with 9 what is best available to us long term. We've earned that ability through shrewd trading in the past (albeit with an inability to secure Papley).

Edit: Silly fat mobile phone fingers

Last edited:
Isn't that pick 11 still up for review?
Surely if they improve dramatically and win a lot more games they will not get that pick.
They'll get the extra concessions. The review will take about 10 years for the AFL to decide whether or not to continue with it. Bit like Sydney.

On 1 hand I understand why many of you having the desire to draft Kemp. It's a shame he'll probably spend most of next year in rehab though, maybe debuting in the 2's later in the season.

On the hand it seems to be completely contradictory to the Stocker trade. Wasn't the plan getting the player early and winning the trade on an extra years development.

Anyway

Kemp can keep Charlie company.....
Perhaps even help him prevent anymore accidents

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here's the point...

We brought in Stocker based upon

1. We rated him in the top 6
2. We thought he'd be the last top grade kid we'd draft in
3. We didn't expect to hold our first round pick this year.

That we actually do hold our pick going into the draft means

1. We are in an unexpected bonus scenario where we're not desperate for that player to be AFL ready
2. We can genuinely afford to draft in the best available talent or trade it for the best available solution

IF that solution takes 12 months to get AFL ready then because of its unexpected nature and our depth of young talent so be it. It's not a wasted list spot. We can afford that opportunity cost.

We do with 9 what is best available to us long term. We've earned that ability through shrewd trading in the past (albeit with an inability to secure Papley).

Edit: Silly fat mobile phone fingers

Appreciate the insightful and concise points you have made there Wicki, but I honestly believe we need a ready to go now player, rather than take a pick a long term/long term gain project player.

Next year/draft we have the luxury to take a punt on a player that you have strongly advocated for now, but in my opinion, the conservative approach is our best bet for now, and our current list demographic.

Kemp won’t be available next year. If we want him, we take him this year. Where is the contradiction?

Only difference to Stocker is we have the draft currency already.

Try not to argue with a fool Jab.. they'll eventually bring you down to their level and end up beating you with experience. 😆

Future first and second was just an example btw. We could get more depending on the cluv. Also club thinks there will be a lot of room for movement with the compromised draft next year (clubs wanting to get ahead of bids like freo and gws this year)

We would also be doing it because we would be confident of getting our player with the second rounder rather than having to reach with pick 9

Always best available :)

1 + 1 = 11 ..?

Go back and read the posts .. this is boring me now
1+1=11
Yet boredom is your main precursor for posting on another teams board?
Note, I think you might have board and bored mixed up m8?

Clubs can circle as much as they want but there’s no chance we do this unless it’s Gold Coast offering their future first. Trading a current first for a future first goes against everything we are trying to build as a club.
Not really. We are circling the wagons for a big fish via trade so the currency of two firsts next year would significantly enhance our capacity to swing for the fences.
I see us needing to have better quality in the 15 to 22 range player. Depth is crucial going forward. This can happen one of two ways: build the standard at the pointy end so our current top end gets pushed a little further back in the equation, draft and develop depth players and specific needs so we have more strings.
Both are valid, I like the idea of having a big fish in 2021, especially a mid with speed, line breaking ability and skills.

OK .. tbh I don't really GAF .. seems like a little of this to me though

The idiom originated with Thomas More's Dialogue of Comfort Against Tribulation (1534). It indicates desperation. A drowning man will clutch/grab at anything, even at straws (this is the (older?) usage that means 'dry grass' not drinking straws) in an attempt to save himself.
RUOK?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way they will. They have made their point.
If they did they are impacting Martin's welfare. The AFLPA would have a field day.
100% guarantee they will not be picking him up.
And Luko signed on today so they don’t need to flex as much anymore. Tuck shop arms weren’t very impressive anyway.

Seems to me everyone is missing what Evans was implying.

Plenty of options after the trade period. Those options are still there. We wanted and still want to move up the order.

He’s basically asking for us to accept 15 and 20 for 9. As a quid pro quo.

Suspect they are bluffing in saying if we don’t they can’t confirm they won’t take him.

As I said.

Bluff.

Not agreeing with him. Just interpreting his not so veiled threats

Not really.

Feels like I've have inadvertently drifted over some beautiful sand patches and some massive King George are swallowing .. hooks without much bait
Given the number of posts you have from you time of joining BF, I’d suggest you have too much time on your hands and plenty of BS to share. Jog on.

Isn't that pick 11 still up for review?
Surely if they improve dramatically and win a lot more games they will not get that pick.

Haha....you’ve really bought into this review thing.
They’ll review it, for about 5 seconds, and provide some makey uppiness to justify the outcome.

It’s done, the clubs won’t let them go there again though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty of options after the trade period. Those options are still there. We wanted and still want to move up the order.

Suspect they are bluffing in saying if we don’t they can’t confirm they won’t take him.

As I said.

Bluff.

I'd swap 9 for their 15 & 20 + their next year's second. Didn't they pretty much tell us that they have no interest in 2nd rounders during the Martin negotiations?

As I said.

Bluff.

They previously wanted 9 for 15. Since when has 20 been thrown into the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back