Bluemour Melting Pot XXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I was Saad -

1. I wouldn't want to leave somewhere I know.
2. More money and an extra year helps though.
3. Hooker and Hurley are almost done and I'd have Weitering, Docherty and co to support.
4. One team seems on the up and the other...no so much.

The rest may be down to which coach he'd want to play under and what his role will be.

We have always wanted mids. We have a spine in place. Williams can play both.

Liddle was very clear when he said 'Inside, outside mid' = Williams.
Maybe I'm putting too much weight on his words, but he knew exactly wha he was saying.

We went into his trade period wanting three things - Someone like Saad, someone like Williams and someone like Papley.
Not sure when an inside mid came into the picture as a priority but maybe there's a reason.
We have enough resources though, to be speaking to several players at he one time. You can only talk for so long....

You reckon Dodoro wouldn't make it hard for us to get Saad though.
They'd want the #7 and not want to hear of anything else - No Kennedy, no JSilvagni......#7 and then we can start talking.

Probably puts Royal Blues' posts yesterday in a bit more context.

Saad could the "out of finals, non-mid" player that we are keen on. That would allow Williams to be more mid focused.

If we miss on Saad, then we have a mid option who is still involved in finals (quite possibly Wines). This would likely require Williams to play a bit more in defence.

Although it appears we may have the capital to get both, we may not want to delve into next year's picks, meaning it is one or the other?

The rest may be down to which coach he'd want to play under...Liddle was very clear when he said 'Inside, outside mid' = Williams.
Yes. New cheats coach is slowing them down. This surely does not suit Saad.
I'd be running out of there.
The fact that he chose them will always count against, but these poor taste decisions can be overlooked.

We went into his trade period wanting three things - Someone like Saad, someone like Williams and someone like Papley.
Not sure when an inside mid came into the picture as a priority but maybe there's a reason.
We have enough resources though, to be speaking to several players at he one time. You can only talk for so long....

They'd want the #7 and not want to hear of anything else - No Kennedy, no JSilvagni......#7 and then we can start talking.
Yeah he'd ask for at least that, but Saad is ooc so he won't get it. Pick 15ish is about what would actually get it done.

I mentioned the other day that the appeal from Jack Graham was understandable. Here are the reasons:

75% disposal efficiency ...
68.7% kick efficiency ... ranks elite
Tackles, tackles i50 and pressure acts... ranks elite over his career
rates above average for goal assists and score launches

He has a big tank, has almost 50/50 split with his possessions in offensive and defensive half... he is a two-way runner...

Only 22/23 years old, has proven he can make an impact in big games and brings some flag success with him too.

No wonder Richmond didn't want to let him go...

As for Dodo wanting pick #7, Saad is OOC... he can demand all he wants, he will settle for a reasonable deal or they will risk losing him for nothing. That happens and he can kiss his job goodbye as their fans will riot... they had a big drop in memberships this year, that happens and it'll plummet...

I think #27 + Kennedy would be a great deal for them. The way Rutten's got them playing, Saad isn't really giving them anything special as he's not playing to his strengths. They severely lack a big bodied inside mid and Kennedy fits the bill.

Anyway, I wouldn't be putting too much focus on Saad, seems to me like his management is using us for leverage to get the contract he wants from *.

I'd hope that we're putting our primary focus on A grade mids.

If he requests us it’ll be a downgrade of pick 7 for Either geelongs 15 and 16 or Brisbane’s 18 and 19. Either way we can use one for Saad.

I think 15, 33 and constable/narkle works aswell for 7. Which means we can turn 1 pick into Williams, Saad, Constable (my preference) and our first pick could be 33. If we’ve done our job there will be a heap of players with upside left on the board in the late second due to the lack of exposure this year. Big risk reward opportunity in 2020.

I don't know if it's been suggested, but given

- Jeremy Cameron is an RFA this year
- We hear GWS are going to be >$2m over the cap next year
- We also hear that Carlton has cap space to burn

Could/should we be considering bringing Jeremy Cameron in, and turning Harry McKay into a premium mid via trade?

Would leave us with Williams, Cameron, and a premium mid for the effective loss of McKay and cap space.

A forward line of Charlie and Cameron would be an extremely difficult matchup for any opposition. And Cameron brings a level of aggression to our team we don't have.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating open trading McKay, but under these circumstances I think it can work very much to our advantage.

No thanks.
We would be dead set mad to trade Harry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he'd ask for at least that, but Saad is ooc so he won't get it. Pick 15ish is about what would actually get it done.

If Saad came out and stated that he wanted to join Carlton, it will all run to the wire.
Dodoro will put his foot down and demand that #7 and maybe even throw a little second rounder back at us, in the last moment.

I actually wouldn't blame him for asking for more this year. It won't be easy this year.
If we did move that first for Geelongs seconds and got that over the line, it would make for a great win for the CFC.

I don't think Saad is brilliant, but he is the right type we're looking for an that's the way to do it; Don't get the best player, get the right one.

I'd say Graham was prioritised over Saad, but now he's staying they'll focus that attention on getting Saad across.

This is how I'm reading it too, plus additional cap space to leverage if we need.

Maybe we structure the contract so Saad's getting 800k in the first few years and then tapers off to 600, 600, 550 etc.

Harry McKay is an untouchable imo. Did anyone see his marking back end of the year. Haven't seen many forwards that young do that

Agree with this. I wouldn't trade Harry at all.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious...guys like Neale/Kelly/Treloar/Shiel all got traded for draft picks...it's very rare for a player to be involved in a swap these days. The mere suggestion of trading someone like McKay to make it happen is really just nonsense.

There are situations I could see it happening.

The obvious one would be for Merrett. Essendon would jump at the chance to secure a quality young KPF, and while they'd haggle a bit, I think Merrett and change could be a potential outcome.

Wouldn't get Kelly or Taranto because I doubt Harry wants to go to GWS where they won't be able to afford to pay him well in the coming years.

Ultimately though, I still think it'd be a poor decision.

Losing McKay to get Merrett, signing Cameron and Williams as free agents - it basically telegraphs that we want a flag in the next 2 years. If we have teething issues, then we've screwed our salary cap and would start to see younger guys walking out the door. Problem being, I'm not sure the rest of our list is capable of holding up their end of the deal in that time. Not enough finals experience (ie. composure), and an inexperienced coach who I don't believe has really worked out how to foster a ruthless, winning culture.

Would rather keep McKay, still get Williams, and target a quality mid with our existing draft hand which, lets face it, is more than enough to satisfy someone in a trade. We just need to find the right player and get them to commit to us.

There are situations I could see it happening.

The obvious one would be for Merrett. Essendon would jump at the chance to secure a quality young KPF, and while they'd haggle a bit, I think Merrett and change could be a potential outcome.

Wouldn't get Kelly or Taranto because I doubt Harry wants to go to GWS where they won't be able to afford to pay him well in the coming years.

Ultimately though, I still think it'd be a poor decision.

Losing McKay to get Merrett, signing Cameron and Williams as free agents - it basically telegraphs that we want a flag in the next 2 years. If we have teething issues, then we've screwed our salary cap and would start to see younger guys walking out the door. Problem being, I'm not sure the rest of our list is capable of holding up their end of the deal in that time. Not enough finals experience (ie. composure), and an inexperienced coach who I don't believe has really worked out how to foster a ruthless, winning culture.

Would rather keep McKay, still get Williams, and target a quality mid with our existing draft hand which, lets face it, is more than enough to satisfy someone in a trade. We just need to find the right player and get them to commit to us.
BB
The club have great belief in Hazza.
It just is not a thing.
It isn't going to happen.
Zero chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back