Bluemour Melting Pot XXVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the Bluemour File OP, this is a thread for discussing Carlton related rumours.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bluemour-file.1085141/

Rumour posters should post their rumours in both threads for those that like just to read rumours and for those that like to have get lost in their rumour files.

Remember ... #Bluemour

Continued from here ...

Continued here:

Last edited by a moderator:
People keep asking about Oliver. It won't make the press unless it becomes likely to occur. It is not likely to occur unless things go our way. If this happens, it will be late in the piece, when clubs get desperate.

Best chance of this (I have posted previously) is Treloar being shipped to Melbourne with a sweetener (say, Tom Phillips). Melbourne can afford to let Oliver go to us (Collingwood need the cap room and can't take him). Melbourne gets Oliver replacement and a wingman. This means we only have to satisfy Collingwood with picks. That will come from what we have left for this year and next year in the first and second round.

Say, we swap 8 for 18 & 19, use 18 for Saad, send 19 and next year's first to Collingwood (maybe next year's second too) and Melbourne throw in next year's third rounder for Phillips. Pies get cap (a) cap room and (b) points for Daicos next year.

Still think this is all doable. Everyone has something to gain from it.
Next year first will be going to Melbourne, not Collingwood. No way a player Collingwood want out is worth 2 firsts. Whoever gets him it will be bargain prices

It’s amazing how people don’t understand this

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it’s more about that not all pick 18 are created equal. Some years pick 18 will get you the 18th best talent other years like this one it might be the ~23rd.
SOS not trading pick 20 last year for ~11 this year gives some context. 18 is abit of a blind throw are the board this year.

We could probably get him for our 2nd rounder but seeing he's contracted might need to through in something else like our 4th. Who do we spend pick 19 on?

Collingwood need cap space and are shopping him around, so 2nd and maybe 4th is plenty.
But you don't pay overs just because you have it. Take it to the draft, or package it up with something else and swap with the Dogs for 2021 picks we could use to get that big-bodied mid we still haven't got to help Cripps out.

Haha, it’s understood just fine. Whilst it might remain the 18th active pick, whoever takes it will be getting to 20th(ish) best player in the talent pool.
If there were 80 NGA players then pick 1 on draft night would be pretty useless wouldn’t it.

But they weren’t going to get them at an early pick anyway so they’re only bid on to keep the bastards honest

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A young rising star winner who averages 1.4 goals per game over his career? I'm not too sure they'll take it. Who do we spend pick 19 on then?

I'd take 19 to the draft, personally.

Nik Cox has a few fans on this board, and based on most of the phantom drafts I've seen seems to be rated at the back end of the first round. Athletic young KPP who would develop behind Jones as a future partner for Weiters. Has played forward a bit too, so would also offer some insurance if Charlie falls apart again.

If he's gone, and there's no player we're particularly excited for...shop the pick around on the night and someone will jump on it to pick up a player they see as a slider. Could probably get a better placed future pick for it, or a combination of two later picks over this draft and next.

Spot on ES!

perception is reality.

Perception is that * want pick 8 nothing coming back. Leaks to the media that we want 48 coming back * "stand firm" on a first rd, nothing coming back.

Reality is We end up giving 18, * can say say they didn't have to give anything back and got a first rounder. We think 18 is fair value. Win win and no one has lost face.

I still thinks it will end up being 8 for saad and second rd, because * want 8.

We can gnash our teeth and shake our fists and say dodoro can take what we give him, fu** him.
End the end an amicable agreement will be reached.
I want pick 1. Doesn't mean I'll get it.

so you’re of the belief that father sons & NGA selections have no bearing on the value of draft picks?

They alter the draft pool because they reduce the choices, but not individual draft picks.
Last year we had #9, and after we made 2 bids and that pick was #11, it still held the same value. Gold Coast traded for it to get Sam Flanders, the exact same player they would/could have taken if we did the same trade for #9. The fact that we bid on Henry and Green did nothing to change the available choices for the other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon have plenty of options for matching later bids on NGA players.

If they're active, it's not going to be hard for them to secure some extra late picks as steak knives given it seems very few clubs are going to be drafting past the third round.

They can also simply carry a points deficit into 2021 in whatever round the bids come. Doubt they'd be fussed about a 6 pick downgrade on a future second or third if that's what it required.

And with live trading, they can trade future picks for extra picks this year on the night based on where the bids fall.

If the barrier in the Saad deal is Essendon not having enough third or fourth round picks, that's not our problem at all.

The choice facing Dodo now is to get active and creative himself if he really wants Pick 8, or watch that pick disappear and then have to settle for less.

Dodo won't put any effort into helping us, he'll take care of the deals he wants to do first.

Only if pick 8 is critical which with 6 & 7 already I'm guessing its not. Especially as Bulldogs don't want high picks this year.

I'm guessing now this will be all done at the last 10 minutes of the trade period.

I'd take 19 to the draft, personally.

Nik Cox has a few fans on this board, and based on most of the phantom drafts I've seen seems to be rated at the back end of the first round. Athletic young KPP who would develop behind Jones as a future partner for Weiters. Has played forward a bit too, so would also offer some insurance if Charlie falls apart again.

If he's gone, and there's no player we're particularly excited for...shop the pick around on the night and someone will jump on it to pick up a player they see as a slider. Could probably get a better placed future pick for it, or a combination of two later picks over this draft and next.

Confident Cox will be gone by about 11-14

In that range, if we are looking for a tall, it would be Reid

I think it’s more about that not all pick 18 are created equal. Some years pick 18 will get you the 18th best talent other years like this one it might be the ~23rd.
SOS not trading pick 20 last year for ~11 this year gives some context. 18 is abit of a blind throw are the board this year.
Pick 85 might get you the best kid. You just don't know.

We won't be going to the draft next year if all goes well. I say we throw the kitchen sink at Essendon for Merrett. Give em two first rounders which will both turn out to be around the pick 10 mark. He's a deadly player and would fit well in the structure we've got right now.
Mentioned this yesterday but provoked little interest. You would think they would ask the question

They alter the draft pool because they reduce the choices, but not individual draft picks.
Last year we had #9, and after we made 2 bids and that pick was #11, it still held the same value. Gold Coast traded for it to get Sam Flanders, the exact same player they would/could have taken if we did the same trade for #9. The fact that we bid on Henry and Green did nothing to change the available choices for the other clubs.
No but the drafts talent pool has shrunk before the draft had even started. The draft picks aren’t as valuable anymore because there is less talent available

No but the drafts talent pool has shrunk before the draft had even started. The draft picks aren’t as valuable anymore because there is less talent available

Sure, but like I said, that doesn't change the value of an individual pick.
Regardless of academy/nga/father sons, some drafts are stronger and some are weaker, which will alter how a club will value picks in a particular draft. But picks that slide (in number) due to bids are not worth any less than they were before the bid was placed (unless you need the points to match another bid).

It doesn't really look like we'll be getting another quality mid this year and that's fine (I just don't see Treloar happening), but who else should we target? A small forward would be nice, but apart from Sexton or Stephenson I don't think anyone else is worth going hard at. I'm not a huge fan of Higgins, Lonie or Stengle. If we can't get Sexton or Stevo, just develop the guys we have in Owies, Honey, Philp. Let's try and see if we can find a true gem in one of those guys.

Isaiah Butters as a rookie. Just chopped by Freo (a good sign) and is Samo's cousin.

19yo, Liam Ryan type.

Harry hindsight here, but we could have had Saad instead of Philp and retained pick 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back